Poll

Refugees "flooding" Europe are (2 votes max)

Huge problem in my eurocountry
Small problem in my eurocountry
Not relevant problem in my eurocountry
-----------------------------------------------
Help as many of them as possible
Help only a few of them (aka "non muslims" only etc.)
Send them all home
-----------------------------------------------
I'm from Murica
I just want to click somewhere

Author Topic: Refugees "flooding" Europe !NEW POLL!  (Read 91366 times)

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
Re: Refugees "flooding" Europe
« Reply #990 on: September 30, 2015, 09:33:04 am »
Yeah. With that money the state builds a relatively decent safetynet incase you get old, end up in the streets or get terribly ill. Da fuck is keeping 100% of your income good for when you spend it on shit anyway and end up homeless anyway. Despite keeping all that taxmoney unlike us fascist euros with no such freedom, your middleclass is practically in the mub compared to central EU or Scandinavia. Even ex-ussr countries middle-classes have it a little better than the US.

Offline Grytviken

• Practicing Scientologist
  • Duke
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Salad_Fork Raven_Grytviken
« Reply #991 on: September 30, 2015, 09:38:57 am »
Retirement and disability benefits here are based on the % average income you earned throughout your life. There are plenty of safety nets you pay into in the US plus sales taxes, luxory taxes, property taxes etc.

Although if you don't live responsibly within your means there can be big problems such as debt, bankruptcy, high interest rate loans, foreclosures, repossessions, insurance problems etc. Any mistakes you do make when filing your taxes will get you screwed hard by the IRS.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:09:06 am by Grytviken »

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #992 on: September 30, 2015, 10:34:03 am »
Some EU countries have up to a  52% income tax rate. When all is said and done do you even have much left to take to the grave with you?  :lol: Between the higher taxes and lower wages compared to the US for higher income higher education jobs you are getting screwed both ways. Sure there are benefits to living in Europe, but they sure aren't free.
Well, in reality there are so many holes in the tax laws that it boils down to "The more money you have, less taxes you have to pay." That is European reality.
There cases where a guy earns 5 million € a year and pays 10€ taxes... That's the bigger issue compared to inheritance.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: September 30, 2015, 10:45:49 am »
I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to inherit stuff in general but being rich or poor should depend on your skills and work ethic and not on your daddy.

What do you suggest? Remove every rich son and daughters inheritance and give it to the intellectual elite?

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #994 on: September 30, 2015, 11:41:51 am »
+1
Previously wrote a long post about this in another thread, and Siiem's reaction is quite common. There should probably be a roof above where the death tax kicks in, idk where, but I guess 10mill usd would be fine. The main purpose is to secure that money with real decisionmaking power gets freed up (Say control of a factory or corporation). It's not about creating huge problems and disruption for "normal people" and small business, but force big shareholders to "sell off" their stocks before they die.

Now, how it would work in a globalized economy etc is not so easy to see, but everything is possible with enough oomph put behind it.

@Paul, an important problem arises if you let the dead rule the living. Like Rich people setting up trusts and institutions working and changing society long after they are dead. For goals that might be going out of date. (Like if Tom Cruise would set up a trust of his net worth working for his crazy sci fi church... )
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #995 on: September 30, 2015, 12:50:00 pm »
Russian Air Force now have permission to bomb Isis in Syria gg
I hope you make friends with the Syrian refugees from Isis  :o

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #996 on: September 30, 2015, 01:09:22 pm »
Yeah, it needs limitations where to throw your money on. Donating everything to the "free firearms for freaks" fonds might be problematic.
But a moon base with your name is cool.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #997 on: September 30, 2015, 01:49:53 pm »
This is actually what I've been thinking too. Inheriting wealth and not having to lift a finger in your whole life is the cancer. There is a whole caste of "professional sons". Instead successful people should be able choose projects (for the "Greater Good") where to spent the majority of their   accumulated wealth at the end of their lifes (or earlier). That could be science, infrastructure, public buildings - or a fcking moon base for all I care.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to inherit stuff in general but being rich or poor should depend on your skills and work ethic and not on your daddy.

I disagree. If by some miracle I become super rich and have plenty why the hell should I not hand it down to my children and other family members? Otherwise what's the point in working your arse off for all that anyway if not to secure something for your family. If they have an easy life as a result of your hard work then that should be celebrated.

I actually think it's a travesty that there's inheritance tax at all. Yeah lets tax 40% (UK rate) of what you leave behind because it's a piss easy way to make the Government some lovely moneh.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1952
  • Infamy: 1710
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 30, 2015, 02:19:08 pm »
I think leveling the playing field, by redistributing wealth so it cannot be handed down through generations as now,

Wholeheartedly agree. However, as long biology is going in favor of those who believe inheritance, continuation and transformation of personal into family wealth, they won't back out from their stance a single inch.

To stop that you need to ruin concept of family first. And that comes with a huge cost because family has more benefits than flaws. To kill a family you need to sever direct biological ties and that can only be done with change in human reproduction system. Cloning, extension of life, toying with genes. Those are practices, if they ever become wide-spear, that will kill concept of family we know for many thousand years.

In other words, you can't expect humans to back off from wealth inheritance concept while they are still inheriting traits of their ancestors, good or bad.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1816
  • Infamy: 1278
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 30, 2015, 02:27:30 pm »
@Paul, an important problem arises if you let the dead rule the living. Like Rich people setting up trusts and institutions working and changing society long after they are dead. For goals that might be going out of date. (Like if Tom Cruise would set up a trust of his net worth working for his crazy sci fi church... )

Change concepts of wealth and money. No more accumulation of points, make it like ELO. You live through your life and depending on your contribution to society you get more or less prestige points which make your life better or worse. At the end of your life points are erased and your descendants have to work for theirs the same way you did.

This is something I suggested to Meow as idea for cRPG leveling system and he hated it. Typical human response to fair and natural system that doesn't give much space to shortcuts humans love so much.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #1000 on: September 30, 2015, 02:58:37 pm »
Change concepts of wealth and money. No more accumulation of points, make it like ELO. You live through your life and depending on your contribution to society you get more or less prestige points which make your life better or worse. At the end of your life points are erased and your descendants have to work for theirs the same way you did.

This is something I suggested to Meow as idea for cRPG leveling system and he hated it. Typical human response to fair and natural system that doesn't give much space to shortcuts humans love so much.

Sounds horrendously like Charlie Brooker's 'Black Mirror' (series 1 episode 2 for reference).

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #1001 on: September 30, 2015, 03:11:35 pm »
+1
So simple, such genius, crazy how no ever thought of anything like that before. Good job, truly revolutionary stuff. Anything beyond vague calls for complete reform of society? Who decides what is a "contribution to society", exactly? Who decides how much of a contribution it is? Who grants these magical "prestige" points? Oh and of course just assume that you can erase any sort of biological instinct for preference of your own children and family, something that is apparently only applicable to the rich elites and not literally every human being regardless of status or wealth. Welp I'm sold, this is obviously a well thought out ideology and not at all an idiot's random meaningless anarchic daydream. All you'd need is to change humans into a different organism that would be suited to the ideology. This is how you know you're onto something good, when it's only chance of the ideas being accepted is if they are somehow inserted at a biological level through genetic manipulation. And this is the authoritarian fascist bundle of sticks calling other people "chocolate chip cookies".
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 03:16:23 pm by Oberyn »

Offline ecorcheur_brokar

• Earl
  • Renown: 482
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • The guy who kill with one blow
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brokar/SuisseMonCervela/CheeseInMyPants
« Reply #1002 on: September 30, 2015, 03:27:56 pm »
+1
Some EU countries have up to a  52% income tax rate. When all is said and done do you even have much left to take to the grave with you?  :lol: Between the higher taxes and lower wages compared to the US for higher income higher education jobs you are getting screwed both ways. Sure there are benefits to living in Europe, but they sure aren't free.
People who get taxed at 52% have well enough of capital to take it earn back simply with their interest and those people don't have to worry for their children.
Lower wage in EU than in US???? Maybe for the top 1% but not for 60% bottom. Now ofc, you mix up french taxation with german worcking laws you end up with a non-sense country than can lead you into believing EU is fucked up. But generelly either you have good wage and high tax or low wage low tax, but either way you have better education for free and better health care and more safety nets than in US.
"With great bardiche comes great responsability"
"The wolf doesn't care how many sheeps may be"

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1374
  • Infamy: 1354
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 30, 2015, 04:28:49 pm »
So simple, such genius, crazy how no ever thought of anything like that before. Good job, truly revolutionary stuff. Anything beyond vague calls for complete reform of society? Who decides what is a "contribution to society", exactly? Who decides how much of a contribution it is? Who grants these magical "prestige" points? Oh and of course just assume that you can erase any sort of biological instinct for preference of your own children and family, something that is apparently only applicable to the rich elites and not literally every human being regardless of status or wealth. Welp I'm sold, this is obviously a well thought out ideology and not at all an idiot's random meaningless anarchic daydream. All you'd need is to change humans into a different organism that would be suited to the ideology. This is how you know you're onto something good, when it's only chance of the ideas being accepted is if they are somehow inserted at a biological level through genetic manipulation. And this is the authoritarian fascist bundle of sticks calling other people "chocolate chip cookies".

People obviously though of it before and are probably considered application of such system. For a such massive change to be successful, preparations must be made. There is right time for everything.

Internet and modern technology are very successful at promoting individualism. They'll pave the way for big changes that will come.

Does it feel good to have traditionalist view on things all the time? I'm 50/50 personally, can't stand revolutionary ideas all the time but would probably attempt self-lobotomy if I were lame conservative like you are trying so hard to become.

As for measuring contribution, there is a thing called work that shaped monkeys into humans.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1209
  • Infamy: 1783
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 30, 2015, 04:30:22 pm »
Sounds horrendously like Charlie Brooker's 'Black Mirror' (series 1 episode 2 for reference).

Still better than religion you practice :wink: