Author Topic: Add over head spear attack (with shield)  (Read 4058 times)

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
Re: Add over head spear attack (with shield)
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 10:17:03 am »
this is good diea, always sayd: one h spear needs to be switched into overhead attack mode by pressing x (:
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 11:50:44 am »
+1
How will you see if you need to down block or up block? If it is possible to solve that I support this.

you would see it in the characters animation, holding the spear overhanded up near his shoulder, instead of behind his waist

Offline Wildling

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 12:52:37 am »
you would see it in the characters animation, holding the spear overhanded up near his shoulder, instead of behind his waist

Yup ;)

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 01:16:05 am »
I would really like to see spears get more variety in their attacks. The attack should have a spd/range penalty, but can get over low walls and teamates (useful for shieldwall/DTV).

One issue though, this overhead spear attack is blocked by an up block? I think that is inconsistent with the rest of the game and silly. 2H sword stabs would basically be coming from a similar angle, yet they are still downblocked, as are all thrusts. The up block is for defense against an attack swinging down on your head.

I would like to see this, but not if it is up-blocked.

Also, I think there should be an animation for two handing an over head thrust, with a pike for instance.

Offline chief

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 02:33:26 am »
I would really like to see spears get more variety in their attacks. The attack should have a spd/range penalty, but can get over low walls and teamates (useful for shieldwall/DTV).

One issue though, this overhead spear attack is blocked by an up block? I think that is inconsistent with the rest of the game and silly. 2H sword stabs would basically be coming from a similar angle, yet they are still downblocked, as are all thrusts. The up block is for defense against an attack swinging down on your head.

I would like to see this, but not if it is up-blocked.

Also, I think there should be an animation for two handing an over head thrust, with a pike for instance.

I see your point, but if both attacks are blocked with a downblock then there's no purpose for it.

And I loled at overhand stabbing with pikes.

I'd personally like to see a spear using a modified 1h thrust animation, (I think an old greek mod for the original Mb had this).
The problem with that mod was that all the spear animations were replaced with 1h thrust animations I'm not sure if it's possible to implement a new attack animation with out replacing an old one.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 02:36:34 am by chief »

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 05:57:01 am »
Ok, I get that It looks cool, but otherwise WHY do you suggest this, OP?

As someone else said, it would be rather odd to use this as an opportunity for spear/shield users to get another attack direction. What would the target do to defend himself, do an up-block? I'm not saying it's impossible or anything, but it breaks the idea of "stabs are blocked by down-block".

Perhaps switching to overhead spear mode would alter the weapons stats, and thus make the spearman more useful in 'X' situation. If it shortened the weapon length but increased the speed, perhaps it might serve as a 1-on-1 mode for "hoplites". If this is case, it should still be blocked like every other stabbing attack.

Whether this weapon mode granted a stats alteration, or a new attack direction, I agree with ArchonAlarion in that the weapon's attack angle should change to fit the animation, and thus allow safer thrusting over teammate's shoulders (stabbing over their head would be ridiculous, though).

I sort of support this suggestion. Playtesting would be required, derp. Also, I more support the idea of a different attack angle + stats alteration when in overhead mode, rather than forcing enemies to block a stab with an up-block.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 08:18:23 am »
Would be nice must suck only being able to attack in 1 direction  :|
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 04:40:34 am »

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 06:27:19 pm »
Stop using IRL to decide game balance. To an extent of course but who cares if over-hand stab was useless, stabbing me with your 2h sword from 1cm away should do no damage but it still kills me
I support this

Offline Wildling

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 10:26:39 pm »
Stop using IRL to decide game balance. To an extent of course but who cares if over-hand stab was useless, stabbing me with your 2h sword from 1cm away should do no damage but it still kills me
I support this

Thanks brah :) 1+

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 10:51:46 am »
Stop using IRL to decide game balance

The game is not abstract, its modeled after medieval warfare.  Requesting a weapon not be completely gimp and reasoing that by throwing in historical accuracy is the purpose.  If you want to ignore that, play some other game like garrysmod or some shit.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 08:16:24 pm »
good idea! but also add this(in the original post) to the spears and pike in 2handed mode. it would also give another shieldwallsupport tactic. and tactic support ideas are always good!

but i doupt about the upperblock thing... :|
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 08:30:38 pm »
can we somehow make some spears only work with 1h?? and add and overhead animation this would please all the 300 wannabes s  :lol:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Splenyi

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 03:14:09 am »
please do this cRPG, it's pointless smacking someone on the head with your spear shaft when you can jab them in the face with your spear head

Offline yurah

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Wafua,yurahze, Yurah, Pseudo_Doll
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 05:09:07 am »
Probably be better if the secondary mode for spears would be to just choke the grip higher than normal for quicker but shorter stabs