Author Topic: Italians, tell me what to get when im in Rome. Food.  (Read 2951 times)

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
Re: Italians, tell me what to get when im in Rome. Food.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 03:23:53 pm »
lol ye dunno why i confused that with parmacotto, which isn't the best for sure; must have made some confusion when i was writing there; again, no particular brand stands out for what i know, as i said it isn't a fine meat thus finding good one shouldn't be hard at all
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 04:13:47 pm »
+2
Arite, thank you all for enlightening my ignorance. :)

I'll search for some not too touristic shops in rome and fill my bag up. :)

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 04:27:06 pm »
+2
... some of you might be sophisticated gentlemen well versed in the better Roman foodshops?? who knows right???  :mrgreen:

Might I remind you that you are swimming in the very wrong waters to be asking that question, old chap?

Offline Lars

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 08:54:06 pm »
+2
As Darmaster wrote, Breasaola is one of the best affettato (cold meats, sliced meats),  the taste is good imo, and it has a lot of proteins and a low fat percentage
(click to show/hide)
The Bresaola produced in Valtellina ( Lombardy) is considered one of the best quality of Breasola( i'm quite sure there are also other very good kinds of Breasaola produced elsewhere, sometimes using horse meat or deer meat instead of beef).  The problem of affettati imo is that, on average, they have a lot of salt, so if you eat a lot of them, you are also gonna eat a lot of salt.
Other kind of meat worth to mention is  the Fiorentina steak imo, (if you haven't tried it already) I ate it a few times in Tuscany, it's very good.

I don't eat cheese and i rarely eat tomatoes, most tomatoes imo don't have a great taste,  I agree with Darmaster that the small kind, the pomodorini, are much more tastier than the regular one. I'm not much into olive oil, but if you intend to buy it, only buy the one stored in dark bottles, the light accelerates the oxidation of the product and therefore the rancidification of the oil.

If you like  vinegear with a strong sour taste, red vinegear from wine is quite good, in  supermarkets it's quite cheap, so you could buy serveral brands and see which one you like the most, the aceto balsamico of Modena has a bitter-sweet taste, personally i don't like it.

Regarding red  wine, if you want a quality product without spending  a lot, Teroldego is probably one of the best  red wine you can get (quality-price wise), one bottle (75 cl) here costs around 5 euro( i guess in Rome it's gonna cost a bit more).   The reserve of Teroldego can be ~4-12 times more expensive ( 20-60+ euro) but it's not worth it imo, the regular Teroldego  is very good.
"Among the red wines of Trentino, Teroldego is the most famous, as to be called the "prince of Trentino wines". The Reserve of Teroldego is produced only in great vintages from grapes carefully hand-selected in the best areas of the Piana Rotaliana"
There ain't no red wine like the good old Tiroler Gold(not for that price, imo it's actually much better than more expensive wines),  some sources say  that this was the name given to this  wine in  the court in Vienna, then the name changed into Tiroldico and later Teroldego.

Anyway, regardless if it was appreciated or not by some noble cunts, try it yourself and see if you like it.

http://www.cantinarotaliana.it/en/TEROLDEGO-TRENTODOC/Teroldego-Rotaliano

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 09:19:24 pm »
All the ancient pictures seem to indicate that the Romans consumed nothing but olives and wine.
And we all know that Italy's performance during both world wars indicates just how slow the country advances in progress.

So it's safe to assume that you will find nothing to eat or drink in Rome but wine and olives.
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 09:41:04 pm »
+2
Shh, dont tell the italians, but the secret to fully enjoying pasta is with ketchup. Us swedes know this well.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2015, 01:36:04 am »
+3
Shh, dont tell the italians, but the secret to fully enjoying pasta is with ketchup. Us swedes know this well.

Yeah and you guys know (like we Finns) that you just simply don't eat raw pasta. Gotta boil that shit for a looong time :D.

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2015, 10:04:20 am »
+1
I realize you can't bring it back but if you simply want some gelato the dark chocolate ice cream was my favourite flavour. "cioccolato fondente". If I ever remember where the wonderful gelato shop with no sign, no name, in a residential street with a big ass line and a door plastered with awards I will tell you.

And you should get whatever the cheese is required to make "cacio e pepe". The sauce for the pasta is slowly melted cheese and butter. Its awesome.

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 10:48:38 pm »
All the ancient pictures seem to indicate that the Romans consumed nothing but olives and wine.
And we all know that Italy's performance during both world wars indicates just how slow the country advances in progress.

So it's safe to assume that you will find nothing to eat or drink in Rome but wine and olives.

? are you saying that since the roman empire italians  (intended as italian peninsula inhabitants)  consumed food that couldn't let them progress in history? Wut?

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 01:47:31 am »
? are you saying that since the roman empire italians  (intended as italian peninsula inhabitants)  consumed food that couldn't let them progress in history? Wut?

Do not take me for some follower of post hoc logical fallacy, my good man. i shall demonstrate to you.

As you can see by the following pictures, all of which are paintings dating back to the time the Roman empire ruled half the known world, so this is nothing if not historical evidence:

The Romans depicted themselves of consuming nothing in their cave painting art, but olives and wine. both of which are very important to Italian culture, even in today's times.

now, Look towards both WWs that savage this great universe. judging by the Italians performance during WW1, and sub-sequentially, the the fascist black shirts in WW2. we notice how poorly the area performs against the modernize opposing sides during that time period. Not only that, but take a look at the arms and weapons the Italians used during the conflicts, poor materials, poor craftsmanship. outdated weapons, tanks outclassed in many respects. is a clear indication that the pizza-eaters are slow to advance, whether its technological or cultural

so, now that we have concluded the people of Mario-brothers ville are slow and stubborn, We can safely assume, that

A. Italians have not progressed culturally enough to expand into a wider palette of cuisines
B. Drawing from Conclusion A and the above shown primary evidence, that the small palette of available will consist of nothing but Olives and wine.

This is the only logically explanation, and frankly, anyone who disagrees is nothing but a moronic twat and a non-gentleman.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 02:04:58 am »
+1
Yes because absolutely nothing happened in italy during the 14th and 15th century, the peninsular is definitely not the home of the renaissance and the birth of the modern world. 

On topic, its quite expensive but i went with my friend to the eataly in rome, such an amazing selection there but of course the prices are quite high.
Turtles

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 02:15:56 am »
Yes because absolutely nothing happened in italy during the 14th and 15th century, the peninsular is definitely not the home of the renaissance and the birth of the modern world. 

exactly, i can see you are a fellow scholar of the arts! tell me, what are your thoughts on the Great Mongolian philosopher Marquis De Sade's, written works about the theoretical micro-economics of Somalia and how they relate to the infamous space race during the Cold war?

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2015, 02:52:44 am »
+1
exactly, i can see you are a fellow scholar of the arts! tell me, what are your thoughts on the Great Mongolian philosopher Marquis De Sade's, written works about the theoretical micro-economics of Somalia and how they relate to the infamous space race during the Cold war?

I like turtles?
Turtles

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2015, 02:58:58 am »
I like turtles?

Fascinating Thesis, my friend. I've never looked at the prompt from that angle. this changes my entire viewpoint on the subject! have you thought of publishing your works?

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2015, 09:15:35 am »
Ah clockwork, I see you take the British Position in this debate. You have also shown the ability to see straight through my shallow facade, dressing me naked seeing me as I truly am. A simple peasant trying to break through class barriers. I admit it.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.