Author Topic: NA Siege map removals?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
NA Siege map removals?
« on: May 24, 2011, 06:19:16 pm »
Why are phoenix castle, Helms Deep & flying ships still on the siege server?  They were easily voted the worst maps.  Population drops by at least 15-20% whenever phoenix comes up and helms deep/flying ships are HORRIBLY unbalanced in favor of defenders (90%+).

Can we get these removed please?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:38:10 pm by Digglez »

Offline Airith

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • NA Community Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Among The Shadows
  • Game nicks: Airith_ATS, Solanar_II_ATS
  • IRC nick: Airith
Re: NA Siege map removals?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 03:51:22 am »
phoenix castle was removed last night actually. there's now enough nominations to take shattered skies down as well. i'll think about taking down helms deep, but i personally love playing that map, as defender and attacker. remember to bug people to nominate maps for removal in the thread (it's just above titled: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,3351.0.html) go to it!
And our time is flyin' see the candle burnin' low
Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 03:58:37 am »
I also love helms deep attacking/defending

Offline arab

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: im gay
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:55:08 pm »
Those 3 maps are unbalanced in favor of the defenders, and you should definitely remove them from rotation.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Ronan PxC
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 09:44:01 pm »
I understand Phoenix castle and flying ships. But Helms Deep is awsome! It is, too, one of my favorite maps. Too bad so many people are simple minded and/or suck at this game. It is very balanced in my opinion. A little big maybe but balanced none the less.

And people only seem to like VERY simple maps and ones that slightly lean towards the attacker. Seem to treat siege as battle with lives imo.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:45:31 pm by Ronan »

Offline Professor

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elton_Yawn
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 11:41:22 pm »
Is the rebalanced version of Shattered Skies live? I remember sending it to Airith, or should it be tweaked more?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 11:56:06 pm »
I would like us to keep Helm's deep.

It is a complex castle that takes thought to get to the flag, and honestly if the attackers bother to break down that upper door across the sky bridge then it usually falls more often then not.

Keep it please, we need more interesting castles.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 08:52:23 am »
Valve and Blizzard study multiplayer maps and attempt to make them BALANCED.  Defenders winning 55% of the time is considered unbalanced and unacceptable.  Helms Deep defenders win 90% of the time, it is outrageously unbalanced and therefore should be removed.  Attacking on helms deep is ramming your head into the wall and pretty much guaranteed loss.

Making excuses like, oh you have to organized and plan and yadda yadda is not realistic.  The data speaks for itself, the map is terrible.  It would be better served on DTV or something.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:53:58 am by Digglez »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 02:26:27 pm »
They have a point though that teamplay on c-rpg is practically inexistent. Additionally, most players don't even seem very intent on winning rounds. Even very basic things like using the most direct way to the flag, when it's available, is ignored by half of the player base.

If players started to work together, I think the balance on some maps would turn out completely different. You can see it sometimes, when banner balance groups a larger clan together.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 06:58:26 pm »
They have a point though that teamplay on c-rpg is practically inexistent. Additionally, most players don't even seem very intent on winning rounds. Even very basic things like using the most direct way to the flag, when it's available, is ignored by half of the player base.

If players started to work together, I think the balance on some maps would turn out completely different. You can see it sometimes, when banner balance groups a larger clan together.

yes, teamwork is good.  But most pugs in Helmsdeep attacking have seen how hopless it is, which only feeds into the problem of the map.  Attackers dont give a shit about the objective because its near impossible to win.

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Ronan PxC
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 07:12:16 pm »
Yeah, they "see" how hopeless it is... Thats the sad part. I agree that it definitely less than a 50-50 ratio when it comes to attackers win or lose. Its sad to know that gamers have become zombies... But its by far not 90% def wins. Thats way out there. But its the voting that will get it taken out. Sadly its only going to receive the negative votes since theres no way for people to save it. Say theres 100players. 7 hate it to death. 5 of them vote and its gone. While the 93 who like it have no way of saying "wait, we like it, and that guy is either a troll or he just sucks at the game.". Not saying youre either of those. Just that people have their opinions and its not always correct.

Ive personally seen it more close to 60%D-40%A. but my opinion and Im definitely not on all the time. Also I notice that,like i said before and another post mad a similar comment, most dont seem serious about capturing the flag. More or less its treated as battle where you try to get the top score with an amazing k/d ratio. Even though the one with 1/11 k/d captures the flag the person with the high k/d will probably get the kudos for it. :P I just think the general public needs to wake up and stop being so much like zombies and with that Helms Deep will fall a lot more.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 11:04:49 pm »
Ok admins, cough up the logs, whats the defender/attack win % on Helms Deep!

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 12:47:50 am »
Hey ho everyone, I'm back after a long absence on these forums.  Since I made Helm's Deep but don't really play right now, if a good map maker wants to try to edit it for balance purposes, go ahead.  Just give me credit as the original map maker if you edit it.  If you want to make your own from scratch, be my guest :P  Its hard to get a siege map balanced you know, especially irregular ones like this.  If one of you think you can improve the map I'd love that.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice