Author Topic: Melee Battlegrounds - New Gameplay concept!  (Read 45908 times)

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
Re: Melee Battlegrounds - New Gameplay concept!
« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2015, 12:17:43 am »
I browsed through the OP, and am totally loving what I see. My suggestion for highway men is that a blunt weapon can knock someone unconscious - perhaps for a few minutes,  during which the thief can rob you. This won't perma kill anyone,  but will piss them off.  Needless to say, this will not be good for the local economy, so it would be a good idea for the local lord to put a bounty out. And killing anyone with a bounty would not have a penalty of course.  just the risk of failure.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 06, 2015, 06:08:46 am »
Is it too late to "preorder" this game?? : )

I'll surely buy it when it comes out though

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2015, 01:32:28 pm »
+2
Is it too late to "preorder" this game?? : )

I'll surely buy it when it comes out though

Its too early.

pogosan

« Reply #183 on: June 06, 2015, 07:00:01 pm »

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
« Reply #184 on: June 06, 2015, 07:08:13 pm »
+1
I hope it won't be too big and complicated. Look at Mortal Online or Wurm, you can do whatever you want, literally. And who plays it? 10 people at most.

Can't speak for Wurm but MO is just badly crafted which diminishes the fun.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #185 on: June 06, 2015, 08:17:54 pm »
This is some pretty impressive stuff. Reminds me of Star Wars Combine: a full-on sandbox.

That game, still in development (but quite playable, though they don't have "combat" yet per say), has some issues right now that our beloved devs might run into themselves. Namely: there's so much shit to create and account for.

A couple times a year, the Combine devs release a concept map that briefly lays out the current state of development, and where they intend to go short and long term. It's a valuable tool for their dev team, who use it to both bring order to the seething cauldron of creativity that is their brains and to lay out their dev plan to the (gigantic) community.

It's a pretty big flow chart.

Here's the most recent copy
(click to show/hide)

I highly recommend you (our wisest of dev teams) utilize something similar. Most organizations pretty much require a written plan for any major creations. The (U.S.) military is one example (OPORDS, for missions). Writers use it, too. Rowling had everything planned out before she wrote, and I personally get at least a vague plan down before having at it.

The checklist is an example of a simple form of plan used in both medicine (see Dr. Atul Gawade's "Checklist Manifesto") and piloting aircraft. Like SWC's dev's flowchart, it's fundamental idea is the same: lay out what needs to be done and what has been done.

This is just my two cents. I haven't played cRPG in like 6 months because of IRL shit, and would like greatly to come back to find a successor game that's just as wonderfully fun to play as the forebear.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2015, 04:43:53 am »
+3
Only just seen this thread, sounds more risky but more interesting than previous plan. Lets see how this plays out

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2015, 09:35:35 pm »
+2
This will probably attract bigger audiences and stuff but it feels kinda sad to ditch the good ol battle gameplay many of us still play for. I was hoping Melee would be a game we would finally drop cRPG for, but now it seems like it will be more of a fun survival game kind of deal, play it for a month then go back to crpg.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline MacX85

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2015, 09:39:10 pm »
This will probably attract bigger audiences and stuff but it feels kinda sad to ditch the good ol battle gameplay many of us still play for. I was hoping Melee would be a game we would finally drop cRPG for, but now it seems like it will be more of a fun survival game kind of deal, play it for a month then go back to crpg.

If I understood it correctly there will still be instanced battles similar to cRPG.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #189 on: June 09, 2015, 12:51:38 am »
+3
If I understood it correctly there will still be instanced battles similar to cRPG.

That's the only thing I'd play actually. Seen enough bullshit on PW likes mods going on everytime, plus if you add permadeath, it's not going to be some pure fighting and besieging, more like trying to hide in a bush with a crossbow so you never get into dangerous situations to keep your stats/items.

Offline MacX85

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
« Reply #190 on: June 09, 2015, 08:06:11 am »
That's the only thing I'd play actually. Seen enough bullshit on PW likes mods going on everytime, plus if you add permadeath, it's not going to be some pure fighting and besieging, more like trying to hide in a bush with a crossbow so you never get into dangerous situations to keep your stats/items.

But that's mainly because of PW's full loot mechanic. People are afraid to lose their stuff and thus try to avoid risks.
I haven't read about full loot in M:BG aside from the permadeath you mentioned which will only come into effect when you are "murdered" which will be something different than being killed/knocked out in a battle.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #191 on: June 09, 2015, 11:34:47 pm »

You can play as a random soldier for fights. The point is that these soldiers will effectively be less good than permadeath characters (e.g. lower level, worse equipment (not your own), and so forth), so there is an incentive to play with you real character.

At least this was the plan some months ago.

Offline Algarn

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 09, 2015, 11:42:49 pm »
You can play as a random soldier for fights. The point is that these soldiers will effectively be less good than permadeath characters (e.g. lower level, worse equipment (not your own), and so forth), so there is an incentive to play with you real character.

At least this was the plan some months ago.

But... but how can I satisfy my need of heavily armored archer gameplay ? :(

Offline Algarn

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2015, 05:25:01 pm »
There's no fun to me if I can't play as a heavy hybrid ranged unit. It's fun to play in rags, but it gets boring at some point. Enforcing gameplay in low tier gear limits options.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #194 on: June 10, 2015, 05:57:23 pm »
+5
It won't be exactly like in cRPG (of course!), but we want to bring with us the best parts of it. Most of the team would consist of cRPG addicts so don't worry about that.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.