Poll

How do you feel about the new 2h stab animation?

Keep it
Revert it
I'm not sure.

Author Topic: [Poll] Feedback on 2h stab.  (Read 26655 times)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Re: [Poll] Feedback on 2h stab.
« Reply #360 on: July 17, 2015, 03:54:45 pm »
i am competitive gamer, i play hard, and i play to win, i collect tears, and i drink them for everlasting youth ( or some shit, does it matter what they do? they taste GREAT! )

You play, you cry for nerfs, and then cry some more.

Not so sure about that bit, you don't want a flat increase cos dem daggers already have proportionally high damage, blunt 1h seem strong enough, pierce 1h maybe a point or 2 wouldn't hurt, but cut 1h is kinda niche and very powerful vs low armour, nearly garbage vs high armour unless a str-build with a very high cut weapon that lacks stab

Daggers got nerfed plenty already, i think it was a bit too much tbh but flat damage increase would probably apply more to the, ahem, viable 1h's.. blunt and pierce are so short, in this high level patch they just feel a bit weak when everyone can easily maneuver out of their reaches, and land easy kicks etc. Swords are decent with high strength, but i think they should be closer to 2h/pole in damage. 1h is all good, but just a notch below 2h/pole in melee which it shouldnt really be.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:02:19 pm by Gravoth_iii »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #361 on: July 17, 2015, 04:02:06 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)
Thanks for so vehemently supporting my case! ^^'
I would not have been able to do a better job at putting a mirror at yourself in such ironic way  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:40:49 pm by Micah »
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #362 on: July 17, 2015, 04:17:44 pm »
+1
1h is all good, but just a notch below 2h/pole in melee which it shouldnt really be.

Yes it should. It gets a noobproof autoblocking device that is also pretty much the only way to survive ganks in this era of crpg.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #363 on: July 17, 2015, 06:31:48 pm »
+4
Daggers got nerfed plenty already, i think it was a bit too much tbh but flat damage increase would probably apply more to the, ahem, viable 1h's.. blunt and pierce are so short, in this high level patch they just feel a bit weak when everyone can easily maneuver out of their reaches, and land easy kicks etc. Swords are decent with high strength, but i think they should be closer to 2h/pole in damage. 1h is all good, but just a notch below 2h/pole in melee which it shouldnt really be.

Yes it should. It gets a noobproof autoblocking device that is also pretty much the only way to survive ganks in this era of crpg.

Not to mention that 1h without a shield is honestly one of the best dueling classes currently. Their long range (due to animations) also makes them great for supporting others in teamfighting scenarios, while additionally you are also the only person who can swing in clusterfucks due to the short length of the weapon itself. Like seriously gravoth, you even play this game? 1h is top tier.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #364 on: July 17, 2015, 06:44:29 pm »
Not to mention that 1h without a shield is honestly one of the best dueling classes currently. Their long range (due to animations) also makes them great for supporting others in teamfighting scenarios, while additionally you are also the only person who can swing in clusterfucks due to the short length of the weapon itself. Like seriously gravoth, you even play this game? 1h is top tier.

I do play it, i played plenty of 1h, less 2h and tons of polearm. 1h is good yes, but against heavy armors it hits for jackshit. Its definitely the best in teamfights maybe falling slightly short of a pokey polearm. I still feel that it could use a slight buff. First of all, the shield is a ton of weight, and needed to make 1h usefull in a cluster. The long reaching animations are very slow, and gets outsped by most. The slightly lower damaging weapons forces you to build around higher powerstrike, which makes you slow with already extra weight. And being slow with slightly shorter reach than the others makes you very easy to kick. I think the increase in damage would simply make it more viable vs higher armors while staying basically the same against lower tier armors. It would still be lacking in movement, but atleast on par in damage and with the autoblock.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #365 on: July 17, 2015, 07:02:36 pm »
+1

Getting quite off topic now, but you're forgetting that 1H also gets the smallest movement speed penalty of the three melee classes due to lighter and shorter weapons. The turnrate is extremely good as well compared to 2h and polearm. I have a habit of trying to avoid overheads by sidestepping, that I learned when all weapons had the same turn rate lock. It still works against most 2h, all polearms, but fails against 1H all the time. Definitely not a weak class.

And the other thing with 1h is that while it might be a slightly worse class for highly skilled veteran players, it's much easier for average and below average players. Great animations, good speed and no directional blocking. Also try to see it from the eyes of an average player that can hardly block those 1H swings, let alone think about kicking them while doing that. 1h weapons are the opposite of 1d/2d weapons in this game, which are absolute garbage for a noobish player, but borderline OP in the hands of a chase or knitler.

Steelpick-bots can kill me with three hits when tryhard with my fullplate str-build. Those animations can't miss my big head...

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 17, 2015, 07:13:57 pm »
Getting quite off topic now, but you're forgetting that 1H also gets the smallest movement speed penalty of the three melee classes due to lighter and shorter weapons. The turnrate is extremely good as well compared to 2h and polearm. I have a habit of trying to avoid overheads by sidestepping, that I learned when all weapons had the same turn rate lock. It still works against most 2h, all polearms, but fails against 1H all the time. Definitely not a weak class.

And the other thing with 1h is that while it might be a slightly worse class for highly skilled veteran players, it's much easier for average and below average players. Great animations, good speed and no directional blocking. Also try to see it from the eyes of an average player that can hardly block those 1H swings, let alone think about kicking them while doing that. 1h weapons are the opposite of 1d/2d weapons in this game, which are absolute garbage for a noobish player, but borderline OP in the hands of a chase or knitler.

Steelpick-bots can kill me with three hits when tryhard with my fullplate str-build. Those animations can't miss my big head...

I was playing a bunch of steel pick madness recently, unfortunately lag clouds its true potential, but it was very tough to play. So incredibly short that any capable player would just spam or kick. It had its moments though, it would sometimes hit for massive damage, but that damage felt like it was just the average i would hit with a polearm.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #367 on: July 17, 2015, 07:23:40 pm »
+6
Go 21-27 with decent armor and a longer 1h with a good speed/damage balance, something like one of the arming swords. Then tell me (pure) 1h is hard. Or alternatively try even more agi and a stab-focused 1h sword or spammy leiuediao (fuck spelling).

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Gallonigher
« Reply #368 on: July 17, 2015, 09:14:59 pm »
+2
The 1h class needs a substantial nerf when used without a shield. No self-respecting soldier from this time period would pick up a 1-handed weapon and nothing else to fight against a 2-handed sword or polearm.  (I challenge anyone to find me medieval drawings of 2 evenly-matched warriors where one of them is using a 1-handed weapon and the other using a 2-handed weapon)

I see too many people running around like wannabe fencers from the renaissance.  It looks and feels out of place in this game.  They should WANT to carry a shield but they're too effective without them and therein lies the problem.

Offline Rando

• Duke
  • Renown: 593
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Chairman of the Refuge Against Domestic Violence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 17, 2015, 10:53:19 pm »
+3
NOOOO!  :shock:
Please tell me you are joking  :o

I really like the new stab, eventhough i know i would score better with the old one. Thats the main mistake in most arguments imo, that people only argue for effectiveness and never immersiveness! Never really trying to embrace and appreciate the new thing the way it is itsellf, always comparing back to the old (which btw they had crieed about the same way they do now with the new stab!).
Giving in to those arguments is a sign for me that we are degenerating into a playership of foolish, overoptimizing damage and score whores. It saddens me, that we cant reach a balance between beauty and score-whoring by ourselfs(meaning: independently from the native game) - but we go for score and thereby blocking the way for new and future creativity  in the mod.
For me the new stab is perfect in its own way, making a succecssful hit way more gratifying than the old one, feeling clumbsy and hard to pull off but physically correct and looking good still  - and because its not a nobrainer insta kill with no relation to a physical process!

SIMPLY SAD!   :(

I suppose you find it immersive when someone breaks their back with this new stab animation, in order to look straight up in the air with their sword and then pull down? :D

You're making a good case for the native stab coming back by saying it's much more gratifying to land a hit with this new one, since it's so difficult. Feels like you've got to go on a rollercoaster ride with your mouse to make it work - pretty much forget about using it in duels.

The 1h class needs a substantial nerf when used without a shield. No self-respecting soldier from this time period would pick up a 1-handed weapon and nothing else to fight against a 2-handed sword or polearm.  (I challenge anyone to find me medieval drawings of 2 evenly-matched warriors where one of them is using a 1-handed weapon and the other using a 2-handed weapon)

I see too many people running around like wannabe fencers from the renaissance.  It looks and feels out of place in this game.  They should WANT to carry a shield but they're too effective without them and therein lies the problem.

Honestly, I feel like the reason that most of these "1h no shield" guys are so effective is because of a massive amount of AGI. Might be a few exceptions - e.g. Voester/JayJrod. What you're saying is absolutely correct to my knowledge, though: I can't imagine anyone in reality choosing to use a 1-handed sword without a shield.

To get some insight into another reason people might choose not to use a shield with 1 handers: some people might just feel cheap using them. I know I feel like a complete shmuck whenever I use a shield, because my blocking isn't improving when all I have to do is right click.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:56:27 pm by RandoHg »
Women cannot be autistic, because that implies otherwise well functioning brain to be impaired in some way. We know that women posses no such thing.

Offline kwhy

• Earl
  • Renown: 302
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • trash
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ted_the_garbage_man, missANGY, missBENDaKNEE, missAGAIN, Moove, Fallback, LLpewJ, Lets_ride_bikes
« Reply #370 on: July 18, 2015, 01:06:59 am »
+4
old stab could use some glitter and bedazzles...rainbow swing trails.

plz add.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #371 on: July 18, 2015, 01:25:18 am »
Getting quite off topic now, but you're forgetting that 1H also gets the smallest movement speed penalty of the three melee classes due to lighter and shorter weapons.
-snip-
Remember that there's an extra penalty for 1h weapons when it comes to movement penalty for weight.

A 1 weight 100 reach 1h slows you down more than a 1 weight 100 reach polearm or 2h.

(click to show/hide)
http://forum.melee.org/beginner's-help-and-guides/running-in-crpg/
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Dionysus

• Duke
  • Renown: 696
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • I move-- for no man.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Art of War
  • Game nicks: Dionysus_AoW
« Reply #372 on: July 18, 2015, 02:03:29 am »
+1

I struck out everything that isn't relevant to game discussion. You can use history and realism to make your game intuitive (polearms stop horses etc.), but historical accuracy does not make for better gameplay. This was the crux of the issue for the 2h stab change.

Penalizing players for not using a WPF for a specific playstyle kills diversity and streamlines the game. I don't think this affects anyone but themselves.

Offline Halk

• Earl
  • Renown: 321
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: AmoX
  • Game nicks: Spamwhore, Xanor, david324
« Reply #373 on: July 18, 2015, 03:07:18 am »
+1
I struck out everything that isn't relevant to game discussion. You can use history and realism to make your game intuitive (polearms stop horses etc.), but historical accuracy does not make for better gameplay. This was the crux of the issue for the 2h stab change.

Penalizing players for not using a WPF for a specific playstyle kills diversity and streamlines the game. I don't think this affects anyone but themselves.

Couldn't have said it better. M&B never was a medieval-simulator, it's just the theme of the game. I'm not saying that the developers didn't do their homework on the medieval stuff but really.. do we have to start replacing animations just because some stance is not realistic compared to actual medieval combat and replace it with semi-useless "wagabungahocheirwhateverthefuck"-stance seen in some medieval painting.. holy shit

And before some cumchugger comes whining about the previous stab being too OP, wasn't the original reason for the change that the native-stab just looked stupid and unrealistic?

Offline BlackxBird

• Duke
  • Renown: 546
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eques :3
  • Game nicks: Eques_Black_Bird, Black_Bird_I-X
« Reply #374 on: July 18, 2015, 07:10:27 am »
I TRAINDED NOW 3 WEEKS ONLY THE STAB. NOTHING ELSE. WAS JUST ABUUZING IT LIKE NOBODY ELSE DID. EVERYDAY CHILLIN ON EU 3.

and now u revert it. Why  :cry: