Poll

How do you feel about the new 2h stab animation?

Keep it
Revert it
I'm not sure.

Author Topic: [Poll] Feedback on 2h stab.  (Read 26292 times)

Offline kwhy

• Earl
  • Renown: 302
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • trash
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ted_the_garbage_man, missANGY, missBENDaKNEE, missAGAIN, Moove, Fallback, LLpewJ, Lets_ride_bikes
Re: [Poll] Feedback on 2h stab.
« Reply #270 on: July 07, 2015, 11:50:29 pm »
+5
lets go back and fix this shit

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #271 on: July 08, 2015, 03:16:58 am »
+4
I not only want the stab changed back, i want the guy who made it in the first place banned for life from ever touching crpg again.

That man cant be trusted.

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #272 on: July 08, 2015, 08:13:51 am »
+2
IF the stab will ever be reverted, then the pole stab has to be reverted as well.
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #273 on: July 08, 2015, 05:02:13 pm »
+3
I not only want the stab changed back, i want the guy who made it in the first place banned for life from ever touching crpg again.

I have a name Y'know :/

And ouch.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #274 on: July 08, 2015, 07:56:21 pm »
+2
That man cant be thrusted.

FTFY.

I still think the 2H stab is garbage. It does little damage, glances often and somehow looks really strange when feinting. Reverting to the good old lolstab - even though it's unrealistic for sure - would be the right way imo. The polearm stab is kinda shitty now as well as people have pointed out, but then again, lawlpike does 36p and would be insane if the stab was any easier to use :)

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #275 on: July 08, 2015, 08:08:46 pm »
FTFY.

I still think the 2H stab is garbage. It does little damage, glances often and somehow looks really strange when feinting. Reverting to the good old lolstab - even though it's unrealistic for sure - would be the right way imo. The polearm stab is kinda shitty now as well as people have pointed out, but then again, lawlpike does 36p and would be insane if the stab was any easier to use :)

No it is not.
People just need to learn to downblock. They rage about pokey polearm users abusing mechanics to facehug stab but all they literally have to do is downblock.

Give 2h the native stab back and they will abuse the mechanics just as much twisting and turning into the enemy at facehug range.
While at the same time having insane feint and attack abilities using all different attack directions, whereas pokey polearms have -you guessed it- the stab.

Owlpike and the likes have one. Stab. Overhead works at times but very unreliable. And easy to read/block.

Weapons such as the War Spear would get a huge buff that way, but compared to the buff 2h gets it is about equal.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:12:17 pm by Switchtense »
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Youhou

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Youhou
« Reply #276 on: July 08, 2015, 11:39:11 pm »
+2
I think it needs some tweaking. Still after 6 months feels so random for the user and for enemy.

Offline Rando

• Duke
  • Renown: 593
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Chairman of the Refuge Against Domestic Violence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 09, 2015, 12:34:14 am »
+4
Was there really any legit reason to change it to begin with, other than people crying that they couldn't block it? You can block the 96 speed greatsword stab on native at fastest combat mode, you should be able to block it in medium. Seems like the devs gave into people who just needed to "git gud", as it were.

Anyone who has fought me a decent number of times will know that I've learned how to use the new cRPG stab. Even after learning to use it, I have to say it is wholly inferior to the native stab, and simply unusable in many situations. I'm also tired of having to deal with not being used to the stab in other modules (Native, PW, etc) just because I play cRPG for the most part. This change is pretty much just a massive inconvenience for all 2h players - and it honestly feels like you're just using cRPG as a guinea pig for your development skills. :?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 12:52:55 am by RandoHg »
Women cannot be autistic, because that implies otherwise well functioning brain to be impaired in some way. We know that women posses no such thing.

Offline kwhy

• Earl
  • Renown: 302
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • trash
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ted_the_garbage_man, missANGY, missBENDaKNEE, missAGAIN, Moove, Fallback, LLpewJ, Lets_ride_bikes
« Reply #278 on: July 09, 2015, 12:47:45 am »
new poll best poll

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 09, 2015, 01:03:31 am »
+3

(click to show/hide)

Offline Rando

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 09, 2015, 01:09:13 am »
+1

(click to show/hide)

Hah. Well, I understand Tindel's frustration, but I don't want anyone banned from touching the game - just make sure you're not "fixing" anything that isn't broken.
Women cannot be autistic, because that implies otherwise well functioning brain to be impaired in some way. We know that women posses no such thing.

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 400
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 09, 2015, 01:28:41 am »
damn

rando made a comment...i fucking agree with? damn

'just make sure you're not "fixing" anything that isn't broken"

dont get ur hopes up lad, from valor, to animations, to lvls and requirements ( xp, not weap ) all they do is break shit that is fine...lol u shoulda been here when Tydeus made the valor x3...u think i bitch at u and james alot....holy shit brah, not even close to Tydeus.
I REMEMBER PLAYING IN RAIN
THROUGH THE NIGHTFALL WITH FOG
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
BUT IM MORE HORRIFIED OF A MOD
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #282 on: July 09, 2015, 01:36:23 am »
+2
I think it needs some tweaking. Still after 6 months feels so random for the user and for enemy.

Theres a tweak in the hitboxes coming out soon (I don't think it was included in the revert patch, I think it was literally just reverts).

Was there really any legit reason to change it to begin with, other than people crying that they couldn't block it? You can block the 96 speed greatsword stab on native at fastest combat mode, you should be able to block it in medium. Seems like the devs gave into people who just needed to "git gud", as it were.
Nope.
I made the animation because I thought the old one was unrealistic and looked bad. (it was one of the few animations left over from before taleworlds used mocap)
So I learnt how to animate and went through many versions, poked Tydeus many times and finally presented it to the community in a suggestion thread.

It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it. (The animation not the implementation)

Anyone who has fought me a decent number of times will know that I've learned how to use the new cRPG stab. Even after learning to use it, I have to say it is wholly inferior to the native stab, and simply unusable in many situations. I'm also tired of having to deal with not being used to the stab in other modules (Native, PW, etc) just because I play cRPG for the most part. This change is pretty much just a massive inconvenience for all 2h players - and it honestly feels like you're just using cRPG as a guinea pig for your development skills. :?

Yeah it's not how I pictured it.
There is two main parts to animations in warband, the animation itself and the implementation (Module system).
Basically I had to guess what frames to use where in the module system (hard to test), guessed wrong.
There wasn't enough frames towards on and after full extension, in the 'attacking' phase. With sweetspots peaking at roughly 60% of the 'attacking' phase, and dropping off at the beginning and end => bouncing way too easily.

This has all been changed, it should now hit more solidly at the end of the stab.
Also I've made it look better in transition (feinting is better).

It's not in yet as the revert took priority (autobalance bugs etc), when next patch rolls around it should be in.

Offline Rando

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 09, 2015, 02:48:06 am »
Theres a tweak in the hitboxes coming out soon (I don't think it was included in the revert patch, I think it was literally just reverts).
Nope.
I made the animation because I thought the old one was unrealistic and looked bad. (it was one of the few animations left over from before taleworlds used mocap)
So I learnt how to animate and went through many versions, poked Tydeus many times and finally presented it to the community in a suggestion thread.

It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it. (The animation not the implementation)

Yeah it's not how I pictured it.
There is two main parts to animations in warband, the animation itself and the implementation (Module system).
Basically I had to guess what frames to use where in the module system (hard to test), guessed wrong.
There wasn't enough frames towards on and after full extension, in the 'attacking' phase. With sweetspots peaking at roughly 60% of the 'attacking' phase, and dropping off at the beginning and end => bouncing way too easily.

This has all been changed, it should now hit more solidly at the end of the stab.
Also I've made it look better in transition (feinting is better).

It's not in yet as the revert took priority (autobalance bugs etc), when next patch rolls around it should be in.

"I made the animation because I thought the old one was unrealistic and looked bad."
This made me cringe. I don't mean to downplay your work, because I agree that the new one looks better, or at least more realistic.

But holy shit, is it ineffective in actual combat. Please have a heart and give us the native stab back. I know you've worked on this new one a lot, but gameplay takes precedence over the aesthetics of the stab.

Offline Halk

• Earl
  • Renown: 321
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: AmoX
  • Game nicks: Spamwhore, Xanor, david324
« Reply #284 on: July 09, 2015, 03:25:34 am »
+4
Senni you should really see the revert as one option. So far you've kinda floated past all the discussion that considers the revert. Roughly half of the population doesn't like it and I mean really.. they don't like it at all whereas the other side is kinda like: "mhh a 2h stab change, whatever, im fine with it". I would say the change has really effected negatively on the community.

The old stab has been here for ages and that's just one of the things you really shouldn't change, not that radically.

I hope you don't take this personally, I mean the animation looks good but it isn't functional and it changes the traditional feel of the 2h class.