Author Topic: FITNESS THREAD - I went to the gym for the first time in 2 years  (Read 16532 times)

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
Re: FITNESS THREAD - I went to the gym for the first time in 2 years
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2016, 07:56:14 pm »
I had to google what shrimps are, but I recently started a pistol squat progression, and I guess similar issues can be had with those. I personally like to have complete control over a movement before I increase intensity, both to be more safe from injuries and because bad form is for chumps. This actually means that I am currently practicing normal deep squats to get good form, because I have dysfunctional knees lacking that innate slav ability. If I am going to start working on the pistol squat I will assist with my hand on a doorframe, lowering the intensity as far as necessary to maintain proper form at all times. This slows down your progression and makes the learning the move less about just strength and more about technique. I think that is fine, because in the end you will have a much better result, while allowing your joints and flexibility to keep up. Also, an injury might set you back a whole lot more.

First lol at bold.

And thanks for the post. I think I'll keep trying and if it doesn't improve in the next couple sessions I'll regress back to split bulgarian squats or something. The lack of control is just right before the knee hits the ground so I'm not sure its a lack of ability to control or just the lack of familiarity  of the technique/movement.

I wouldn't want to injure myself so I can agree with that. Good form is important.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:20:36 pm by Taser »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2016, 08:07:21 pm »
I want to get stronger because I feel like I'm less strong than I was a couple of years ago (which makes sense due to my neglect of physical activities), and it's not a good feeling. You get a desk job, you get a gf and you play video games and you say fuck all this physical excercise, but it comes at a cost of feeling like a weak shit if you've been slacking over several years.
That sounds like a lot of work. Wouldn't it be easier to just lobby for your God given second amendment rights? If you had a gun, none of that would be an issue.

"But Xant, I can't lift things with a gun"
Point it at some poor fucker who's wasted their time at a gym and order him to lift it.

There's no problem on this Earth that a gun can't solve.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline WarLord

• Earl
  • Renown: 354
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2016, 09:18:25 pm »
imagine the variables volume and intensity set into a temporal context.   in our case,  you could control density of the microcylce via rest in between sets, the meso via training units per days / week etc, macro with test weeks etc.

Ah ok thx, so bascially frequenzy  :)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2016, 09:51:38 pm »
+3
That sounds like a lot of work. Wouldn't it be easier to just lobby for your God given second amendment rights? If you had a gun, none of that would be an issue.

"But Xant, I can't lift things with a gun"
Point it at some poor fucker who's wasted their time at a gym and order him to lift it.

There's no problem on this Earth that a gun can't solve.

but xant what about all the dialogue options that open when you acquire more strength?

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2016, 12:03:17 pm »
Ah ok thx, so bascially frequenzy  :)

frequenzy would be only be considering the factor time.  density considers the work you do in a certain time. 

simplified:  10 sets of 10 reps @ eight x in 30 minutes or in one hour.  same volume, same intensity,  different density.  (the terms intensity, volume and density are used differently in trainingslehre then in real science. so dont get confused, ja? ^^)

Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1759
  • Infamy: 1287
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2016, 02:31:00 pm »
I want to get stronger because I feel like I'm less strong than I was a couple of years ago (which makes sense due to my neglect of physical activities), and it's not a good feeling. You get a desk job, you get a gf and you play video games and you say fuck all this physical excercise, but it comes at a cost of feeling like a weak shit if you've been slacking over several years.

Have you considered martial arts training?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2016, 02:41:42 pm »
Have you considered martial arts training?

No, why?

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2016, 03:40:22 pm »
+4
No, why?

Duh, so you can beat your girlfriend obviously

Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2016, 03:55:31 pm »
+1
No, why?

Like, crap man, look at that. That's like his stomach plug, on the ground back there. You don't see that every day. I mean that doesn't even seem possible if you think about it, with body organs and cartilage and bones. I mean I'm no doctor or nothin' but that was like one clean chunk.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline WarLord

• Earl
  • Renown: 354
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2016, 04:17:22 pm »
+1
frequenzy would be only be considering the factor time.  density considers the work you do in a certain time. 

simplified:  10 sets of 10 reps @ eight x in 30 minutes or in one hour.  same volume, same intensity,  different density.  (the terms intensity, volume and density are used differently in trainingslehre then in real science. so dont get confused, ja? ^^)

ok, so one part of density is frequenzy, now I got it :D

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 2462
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2016, 04:55:42 pm »
No, why?

Unless you want to bulk up and look aesthetically pleasing (not everyone shares this taste), kick boxing and martial arts training in general are better and faster way to achieve your goals (to become stronger). You'll probably end up in the gym anyway, but you won't be slacking while pumping iron. That's something they teach you during martial arts courses, no fooling around. In the gym, unless you pay big money for personal trainer, you are on your own.

Downside of martial arts training is that it can be quite physically intensive. Could be a problem after long day in the office.

Join some martial arts club of your choosing, go to few trainings and see how it goes. Maybe it's just the thing for you. If not, just go to the gym instead.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2016, 05:22:20 pm »
Plus, there's nothing like the feeling when you know you're the baddest motherfucker in the entire valley and thus need fear no evil.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2512
  • Infamy: 1908
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2016, 05:24:00 pm »
That can be achieved with sawed off shotgun and chainsaw attached to your stump, no need for gym or martial arts :D

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2016, 05:48:46 pm »
Unless you want to bulk up and look aesthetically pleasing (not everyone shares this taste), kick boxing and martial arts training in general are better and faster way to achieve your goals (to become stronger). You'll probably end up in the gym anyway, but you won't be slacking while pumping iron. That's something they teach you during martial arts courses, no fooling around. In the gym, unless you pay big money for personal trainer, you are on your own.

Downside of martial arts training is that it can be quite physically intensive. Could be a problem after long day in the office.

Join some martial arts club of your choosing, go to few trainings and see how it goes. Maybe it's just the thing for you. If not, just go to the gym instead.

Does having a blue belt (4 kyu) in shotokan karate count? Even though it was achieved about 10 years ago :p

The training was not that strength intensive, it was more endurance and speed. I was not required to visit a gym, tho.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2016, 06:00:13 pm »
That can be achieved with sawed off shotgun and chainsaw attached to your stump, no need for gym or martial arts :D
That is a lie. Weapons are merely the focal point of one's lethality.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.