Author Topic: FITNESS THREAD - I went to the gym for the first time in 2 years  (Read 16516 times)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Re: FITNESS THREAD - I went to the gym for the first time in 2 years
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2016, 10:06:12 pm »
Thanks, read up a lot on it now, seems like a good routine, I'm gonna use it, since maximum full body exercise is best reached with the exercises that this program uses (eg squats, deadlifts, bench presses, presses, etc). Kind of worried im gonna suck hard at it because I hardly ever did those apart from bench presses. My previous gym routines (if they can even be called that) were chaotic as fuck...

Don't worry about sucking at them. Like I said before your legs are the biggest muscles in your body and you will be pleasantly surprised at just how much weight they can move.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2016, 06:46:19 pm »
anybody climbs/does bouldering or some other rather fun activity? or everybody just lifts here?
I do bodyweight shit, like L-sits, pullups, handstands, handstand pushups and working towards planche. Pretty accessible and quite rewarding when you improve these moves. Gotta get that beastly relative strength.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2016, 12:49:09 am »
anybody climbs/does bouldering or some other rather fun activity? or everybody just lifts here?

climbing, bouldering, mountaineering and ski mountaineering.   although I miss the gym, always had more fun there then climbing :'D
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2016, 01:08:00 am »
I do bodyweight shit, like L-sits, pullups, handstands, handstand pushups and working towards planche. Pretty accessible and quite rewarding when you improve these moves. Gotta get that beastly relative strength.

You do leg work? Like shrimps? Because I'm doing beginner's shrimps atm and I'm not able to control the movement 100% before hitting the ground. Not like I'm unstable but its not fluid. Not sure if its a technique issue or I'm just trying to do something I'm not ready for.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2016, 01:27:13 am »
+2

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2016, 04:10:46 pm »
I've been reading a lot about strength vs hypertrophy and what you should start with first. A lot of people suggest strength first to build up some good core strength and then work onwards from that, but there's some that say that hypertrophy is also a good start.

In the end both should increase strength and size, it's just that one does strength better and the other does size better. So I've been thinking of adjusting the Starting Strength a bit, maybe stick with 5 reps for strength gain for a few weeks first then transition into around 8 reps range per set. In the end I don't care about super high numbers that I can lift, it's more about the looks I guess. Not that I don't care about strength either, I DO want to get stronger. So I think this would be a good middle-line between strength and looks, I would still gain strength (albeit not as quickly as following SS to the letter), but I'd also be working on muscle size.

I think in the end it matters that I do compound/core lifts 3x per week, like you guys said. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:16:50 pm by Vibe »

Offline WarLord

• Earl
  • Renown: 354
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2016, 04:40:40 pm »
I've been reading a lot about strength vs hypertrophy and what you should start with first. A lot of people suggest strength first to build up some good core strength and then work onwards from that, but there's some that say that hypertrophy is also a good start.

In the end both should increase strength and size, it's just that one does strength better and the other does size better. So I've been thinking of adjusting the Starting Strength a bit, maybe stick with 5 reps for strength gain for a few weeks first then transition into around 8 reps range per set. In the end I don't care about super high numbers that I can lift, it's more about the looks I guess. Not that I don't care about strength either, I DO want to get stronger. So I think this would be a good middle-line between strength and looks, I would still gain strength (albeit not as quickly as following SS to the letter), but I'd also be working on muscle size.

I think in the end it matters that I do compound/core lifts 3x per week, like you guys said. Any thoughts?

You pretty much summed it up pretty well. I do compound exercises with 5-8 Reps and Assitance/Isolation exercises 10-12 reps. Works fine.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2016, 05:11:40 pm »

Why do you want to get stronger, Vibe? Do you wish to lift things up and put them down better than ever before?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2016, 05:53:01 pm »
Implying there is any signifixant difference - especially for beginners.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2016, 06:15:26 pm »
training volume, intensity and density play into the matter, the latter often being neglected in conversations,  although being integral for the training effect of the former.

whatever
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline WarLord

• Earl
  • Renown: 354
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2016, 06:39:17 pm »
training volume, intensity and density play into the matter, the latter often being neglected in conversations,  although being integral for the training effect of the former.

whatever

never heard of density in reference to training at all before, explain please  :shock:

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2016, 07:04:30 pm »
Why do you want to get stronger, Vibe? Do you wish to lift things up and put them down better than ever before?

I want to get stronger because I feel like I'm less strong than I was a couple of years ago (which makes sense due to my neglect of physical activities), and it's not a good feeling. You get a desk job, you get a gf and you play video games and you say fuck all this physical excercise, but it comes at a cost of feeling like a weak shit if you've been slacking over several years.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2016, 07:27:46 pm »
You do leg work? Like shrimps? Because I'm doing beginner's shrimps atm and I'm not able to control the movement 100% before hitting the ground. Not like I'm unstable but its not fluid. Not sure if its a technique issue or I'm just trying to do something I'm not ready for.
I had to google what shrimps are, but I recently started a pistol squat progression, and I guess similar issues can be had with those. I personally like to have complete control over a movement before I increase intensity, both to be more safe from injuries and because bad form is for chumps. This actually means that I am currently practicing normal deep squats to get good form, because I have dysfunctional knees lacking that innate slav ability. If I am going to start working on the pistol squat I will assist with my hand on a doorframe, lowering the intensity as far as necessary to maintain proper form at all times. This slows down your progression and makes the learning the move less about just strength and more about technique. I think that is fine, because in the end you will have a much better result, while allowing your joints and flexibility to keep up. Also, an injury might set you back a whole lot more.

Offline LEKIS

• Earl
  • Renown: 359
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lekismurderer
  • IRC nick: Lekis
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2016, 07:30:33 pm »
+1
I want to get stronger because I feel like I'm less strong than I was a couple of years ago (which makes sense due to my neglect of physical activities), and it's not a good feeling. You get a desk job, you get a gf and you play video games and you say fuck all this physical excercise, but it comes at a cost of feeling like a weak shit if you've been slacking over several years.

Im about 11PS right now, want to reach 15ps withing 3-4 years.
Jokes aside....
Great that you noticed that, it's the first step to coming back to biceps'club united. :)

The day will come! Hordes of communist mechanical bears mounted by muslim liberal gay black in spanishs, bringing destruction to the visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Land Of The Free . Prepare yourself America!

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2016, 07:49:03 pm »
never heard of density in reference to training at all before, explain please  :shock:

imagine the variables volume and intensity set into a temporal context.   in our case,  you could control density of the microcylce via rest in between sets, the meso via training units per days / week etc, macro with test weeks etc.