Poll

Is the Steel Pick too strong?

Yes
73 (55.7%)
No
58 (44.3%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author Topic: Steel Pick..?  (Read 6369 times)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Steel Pick..?
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2011, 08:42:22 pm »
Cool stats, doesn't really help much though if 80% of the pick+maces categories are steel pick kills and 30% of sword kills are long espada, they would still be 2 most popular 1handed weapons.  Most of the other picks and maces are rarely used because if you are going to use one then you are going to use the OP steel pick not the cheaper picks in the game which are both slower and do less damage.

Warhammers are also in this category, and they are quite common. I also see some other maces from time to time, like the "Iberian Mace", and some other picks like the "Military Sickle". The latter, I use myself from time to time. I just wish it had 2 more damage; there's quite the gap from its 26 dmg to the next better pick's 31.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:44:53 pm by zagibu »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2011, 09:52:32 pm »
Warhammers are also in this category, and they are quite common. I also see some other maces from time to time, like the "Iberian Mace", and some other picks like the "Military Sickle". The latter, I use myself from time to time. I just wish it had 2 more damage; there's quite the gap from its 26 dmg to the next better pick's 31.

I'm willing to bet that the steel pick is more common than the warhammer. I just don't see the warhammer that often on the battlefield anymore.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2011, 10:56:09 pm »
Basically the numbers have shown that many of you are paranoid delusional about this supposedly legendary overpowered, so common its on very street corner, faster than a speeding bullet, uranium deleted armor piercing, cyborb implant, head shotting can opener weapon.  It represents less than 1% of all kills from EU servers.

Its amazing what real data reveals, isnt it?

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2011, 11:45:39 pm »
Basically the numbers have shown that many of you are paranoid delusional about this supposedly legendary overpowered, so common its on very street corner, faster than a speeding bullet, uranium deleted armor piercing, cyborb implant, head shotting can opener weapon.  It represents less than 1% of all kills from EU servers.
Its amazing what real data reveals, isnt it?

Seriosuly guys he's just trolling, he probably doesn't care if the pick gets rebalanced in line with all the other 1handed weapons.  Why else would he make up a random statistic like that.  Just ignore his trolling.

Anyway, its pretty obvious the steel pick needs rebalancing in the next patch, just the question is how much?  Should it just become what the military pick is now and converge the 2 items into 1 (if you have heirlooms in either you have the heirloom in the new military/steel pick, like pre-january patch where military pick didn't exist)?  Or should it just be the slower, but heavier hitting version of the pick with +0 to +1 damage, -4 to -5 speed?  ANy other suggestions?
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2011, 12:36:51 am »
I agree with the +0/+& dmg and -2/-3 speed. Anymore than that may be too bit of a nerf for that steel pick.
But something needs to be done. Think about the poor tincans. :mrgreen:
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2011, 05:41:39 am »
I'd like to see +4 length, -2 speed, and -1 damage.  The increased length will make it slightly more difficult to use in close quarters (like narrow hallways - where it dominates) and the nerfed speed and damage will make it a bit less extreme while still being a top-tier weapon of sorts. 

Offline Galgorth

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2011, 11:45:01 am »
The steel pick is fine. Keep in mind that if you use a shield you swing significantly slower vs. not using a shield. On my 2h alt I regularly castor swing steel pick users and kill them with zee ease. As one of the shortest weapons in the game steel picks are also effectively useless against cavalry. It's one of the few 1h weapons that can actually make a dent against tanks. It does not need a nerf.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2011, 12:32:38 pm »
Solution; make it unbalanced

It has a thin handle and a long head, and the head should weight alot more than the handle (as it's massive steel), which should make the weapon unbalanced.

Making it unbalanced will prevent super speed feinting where you cant see directions, which would make this weapon prefectly balanced.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2011, 05:46:30 am »
I see swords like the elite scimitar, nordic, and more used with more frequency and success. I rarely see pick users to be honest. Galgorth was the only one I recall who did much during my time playing.

I tried out the pick exclusively for a generation. It's definitely powerful. I believe people are underestimating the negatives of the lack of range. Others can play a strong keepaway game while maintaining the offensive advantage in most situations. There is more risk to going offensive than other weapons. You need to be in light armor or you'll be pretty useless with a pick.

The pick is great for quickly killing off other players in a 2v1 situation, and against slow, armored foes. I found that fighting players who outsped me was quite a task since I was outsped and outspaced. Same for the longer ranged 1h+shields. I felt as though I was disadvantaged in these situations, and had to outsmart my opponents multiple times to win.

With good footwork, I would be afraid of missing since it would miss after any sizable distance was made. Miss = death (light armor) if you truly believed you were going to hit.
1v2+ situations are difficult due to the spacing issue, having to be so close, and cav feel impossible to combat compared to other weapons.

This is from the opinion of an average player. If the weapon is really going to be nerfed, it should only be a very small nerf in the most critical problem area. Other best 1hs are on par with the steel pick.

Offline D_the_Barbarian

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
    • View Profile
    • I have no website
  • Faction: none
  • Game nicks: D_the_Barbarian and Millions of alts like D_the_Female.
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2011, 02:21:35 am »
I think its a little to powerful, but it gives 1h a defense against tin cans. I use it pretty much only on heavy armored enemies and use swords for everyone else. I don't think it needs a nerf, its range is terrible and i find that very annoying. Very few people use picks anyways, i see it once maybe twice a day on NA Siege.
On a similar note, it is imperative to carry smoke bombs. Archers get confused because they're so ineffective that they pause to wonder why, so they end up being as effective as intended.

Offline JKos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2011, 01:18:47 am »
No it's not, and I'm 2h at the moment, but I was 1H before and used steel pick a lot. Try it before you comment, i'm doing same/better scores with 2h weapons. IF you wan't to nerf it just make it more expensive.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2011, 04:53:16 pm »
I dont have problems with steelpicks.
There are far more powerful weapons for 1h atm like the scimis.

Offline Danath

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2011, 05:07:42 am »
The steel pick is definitely a nasty weapon two hits and it drops tanks (with abit of luck). Thats nasty.

People bitched all the time about my warhammer which was quite powerful so I can imagine how nasty the steel pick is at 33p.

Mind you at only 64 range its hard to fight two handers that back peddle but if you manage to hit them..

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2011, 05:10:01 am »
Mind you at only 64 range its hard to fight two handers that back peddle but if you manage to hit them..

Shhhhh....dont give them our secrets!

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2011, 05:16:05 am »
If you can block and use your range correctly, the pick isn't a problem.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login