Author Topic: Thoughts about "mod is dying and keeping it alive"  (Read 9905 times)

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts about "mod is dying and keeping it alive"
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2015, 07:25:19 pm »
+2
My own personal thoughts on the mod is that it's been dead to me for about a year and a half, but that's after playing it since mid-late 2011 and before that playing the original M&B when it was little more than a tech-demo.

The appeal for me was the persistence and equipment variety that was lacking in Native MP, the simple mechanics matched with a high-ceiling. I had a blast on my integrated graphics playing at ~15 fps if I was lucky, and didn't mind dying repeatedly; playing on lower pop servers and getting ~30 fps I knew if I just had a proper GPU and worked on blocking reliably I could contend with the pub-heroes one day. When that came there were only a couple I wouldn't engage 1v1 of my own volition and I was never near the top but I could hold my own.

I stopped playing simply because after so many thousands of hours and familiarity with the engine the high of combat is still there but it's scarce and although the devs did an excellent job with features and content I don't think the incredibly dated engine could handle the side-stuff in a stable fashion.

Now-a-days I'm not sure how it is on the servers but I'm going to assume it's similar to what I found on Jedi Academy when I played a couple years ago as a noob, you have a small group of well-skilled players who hate that the population of their well-loved game has died but at the same time have formed their own little impenetrable clique, made more daunting by a skill-gap.
And how!

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2015, 07:27:49 pm »
+1
you have a small group of well-skilled players who hate that the population of their well-loved game has died but at the same time have formed their own little impenetrable clique, made more daunting by a skill-gap.

With said clique now alienating the few legitimately new players to the mod.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2015, 07:30:18 pm »
+1
I think the alienation always happened but yes, when the population is this low it's going to be the only thing you notice.
And how!

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2015, 10:04:03 pm »
+1
It's painful to watch you idiots complain about the mod being dead while I enjoy it still being alive and well. There's not much else I can do but keep pointing out that you guys are wrong and inviting people to join us in Strat and NA 1. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.

(click to show/hide)

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2015, 10:09:46 pm »
+1
How's the NA strat scene atm? I see many RP threads and posts that entice me, but i dont see too many battles, also RP is confusing when trying to decipher who owns what and who wants to kill who

It is good Strat battles for the most part are even and the leaders of the factions have agreed to honorable combat (for the most part). Last battle gave half a mil xp. May be tough for you to attend though as the best battles occur in primetime for NA.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2015, 10:32:10 pm »
+1
Basically it's the Kingdoms of the North vs. the Wardens of the North, fighting for control of... the North.

Most everyone else is afk at this point.

EDIT: Forgot about the Starks who are slowly but surely taking over the entirety of the afk-stricken desert.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Dupre

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 825
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: DoV
  • Game nicks: Dupre, Sentri
  • IRC nick: Nashringa
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2015, 11:26:01 pm »
It's painful to watch you idiots complain about the mod being dead while I enjoy it still being alive and well. There's not much else I can do but keep pointing out that you guys are wrong and inviting people to join us in Strat and NA 1. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.

(click to show/hide)

It's not dead yet but people are slowly quitting and losing hope for m:bg. I am, that's for sure, and it's only because of the teams not communicating with the community(Donkey crew's customers) or involving the community in development with c-rpg or m:bg. Which then leads us back to your comment and people complaining. Most of the complainers are honestly just trying to help... I'm sure all of us appreciate everything donkey crew has done with this mod and all the time they put into, shit they got 40k for it plus whatever was donated, and it showed on their ks that they could of got another 40k. I personally think the donkey crew screwed up by linking c-rpg to m:bg, especially adding the forums on here. Would of been a good idea if they actually had a team working on c-rpg updating and fixing previous patches, especially after their kickstarter.... This just kind of gives them a bad track record on maintaining/supporting a mod even if they have been working on it for the past 3-4 years. Will they be able to develop and keep supporting their own game? Gotta look at the big picture here...

The "retarded horses" are trying to proactively prevent their favorite mod/game from completely dying. At least that's the case for me.

Steam: ajkretchmer

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2015, 11:29:03 pm »
I agree that more attention to the mod from devs would be great but its still the best game in the world. Eventually they will have more time and will fix the minor problems.

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 400
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2015, 11:32:07 pm »
+1
james, right now, the game

is bad...i mean really bad. and so i play it, less and less.

that is all.
I REMEMBER PLAYING IN RAIN
THROUGH THE NIGHTFALL WITH FOG
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
BUT IM MORE HORRIFIED OF A MOD
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2015, 11:33:57 pm »
+1
That is your opinion  :wink:

oh and as for diplomacy. Wardens of the North are fighting the Kingdoms of the North and House Stark is taking the opportunity to make large gains.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2015, 11:37:12 pm »
I agree that more attention to the mod from devs would be great but its still the best game in the world. Eventually they will have more time and will fix the minor problems.

Best game in the world when you aren't couched at spawn by cavs with great lances, or getting killed by someone with higher tier weapon and armor than you, even thought he can't block a shit. Being 1h no shield is a true challenge considering the lags and the balance, and also the lack of people to cover you (15v15 means there are 10 guys with a 2h/pole/horse weapon in one team).

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2015, 11:39:34 pm »
Best game in the world when you aren't couched at spawn by cavs with great lances, or getting killed by someone with higher tier weapon and armor than you, even thought he can't block a shit. Being 1h no shield is a true challenge considering the lags and the balance, and also the lack of people to cover you (15v15 means there are 10 guys with a 2h/pole/horse weapon in one team).

Getting destroyed by other players isn't a valid reason to complain. Get gud bud.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2015, 11:41:08 pm »
Destroyed one time out of four, yes. But that time is so ridiculous I don't even want to explain further, since it's all about crutching, lags, etc.

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 400
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2015, 11:48:36 pm »
+1
Getting destroyed by other players isn't a valid reason to complain. Get gud bud.

actually it kinda is, especially if lag \ ridiculous builds the rest of us arnt motivated to go to are the prime reasons for your failures...and you can say get gud to EU people you dont know, you DO know me, and i have the same complaints.

its not just bad lag and wonky animations, the lvling system has really put off grinding, for me anyway, the new lvl 34 is just far more xp than i care to grind....shieeet, the first time i went to 34, i was like gen 5, did it just for kicks, having the xp requirement higher + bad lag all the way there...just dont feel like it now.

i barely play now, just here and there, mostly keep coming back to the forums to see if lag is fixed \ patch changing lvls back.
I REMEMBER PLAYING IN RAIN
THROUGH THE NIGHTFALL WITH FOG
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
BUT IM MORE HORRIFIED OF A MOD
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2015, 11:51:31 pm »
+1
Leveling is a joke at gen 16.  Its actually faster now to get to retirement level than before. As for the lag its not bothering me at all but I do see people complain about it, that is a legitimate grief.