Author Topic: Suicide  (Read 5659 times)

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
Re: Suicide
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2014, 09:50:15 pm »
+1
what if i'm a necromancer and i like death but want to stay alive to command my minions?  :?

Why not a necromancer lich?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2014, 09:54:22 pm »
why should we allow anyone to waste their box like that?

Because it's their box, not yours?  :wink:

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2014, 10:03:44 pm »
what if i'm a necromancer and i like death but want to stay alive to command my minions?  :?

Thou casteth too much

http://www.rehabs.com/about/video-game-addiction-rehabs/

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2014, 10:05:33 pm »
life is like a box of Chocolates, yes, you never know what your gonna get and you may find some really shitty pieces of chocolate in your box, but those shitty pieces don't ruin the rest of the box.
suicide is like throwing away that entire box, with no chance of getting it back. why should we allow anyone to waste their box like that?

Because some people got a lot of shits happenning to them in their life, and consider the following will be similar. Note that some people want to die before something happens, like some people want to die rather than becoming old and loosing almost entirely their mental capacities.

If I had a terrible accident, which takes away my arms and legs, I wouldn't hesitate to press the triger, knowing my life is ruinned, and nothing into our current society is worthy anyway.

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2014, 10:15:06 pm »
If I had a terrible accident, which takes away my arms and legs, I wouldn't hesitate to press the triger, knowing my life is ruinned, and nothing into our current society is worthy anyway.

If you believe that, then you truly have seen very little of what society has to offer.
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2014, 10:40:02 pm »
+2
If i stop white-knighting enough to fully embrace the asshole within, frankly anyone stupid and ungrateful enough to actually do it is better off dead. Unfortunately, you dont get to choose your family or the people who care about you, so the ungrateful asshole may get what he wants but he'll have parents, siblings, friends or even dependents who didnt ask for that and have to live with that knowledge.

If some asshole i dont know kills himself right now this very instance, then ofc i'd give zero shits, but sincere condolences to the friends and family who deserved better. In your analogy, sure they can throw away their box because it's theirs, but what gives them the right to mess around with other people's boxes too? That's what suicide does, would the family's boxes ever be the same again? Wouldnt life be so much better if they could use timetravel to have a preemptive abortion and spare the rest of the world their ingratitude, they get the benefit of never existing whilst their potential family and friends are never harmed by their selfishness, if only that were possible i would be resoundingly and overwhelmingly in favour of it.

So if someone takes an action that they want to do but it messes with other peoples' lives in an emotional way, they should not do it?

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2014, 11:05:47 pm »
+2
So if someone takes an action that they want to do but it messes with other peoples' lives in an emotional way, they should not do it?

youre assuming that for every action that emotionally affects others. those negative emotions felt are gonna be equal to that of the death of someone you know?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2014, 11:38:48 pm »
+1
If you believe that, then you truly have seen very little of what society has to offer.

And how can you weight that against being unconscious or dead? You don't know, and have no way to know what non-existence is like.

Offline Algarn

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2014, 11:54:54 pm »
+1

I do not judge society about what it has to offer, but about what it is.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2014, 11:56:58 pm »
+2
One thing is for sure. Must be a lot better to get medical / legal help to 'suicide' than to be found by your parents or siblings hanging from the ceiling or drowned in a bathtub.

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2014, 12:02:47 am »
+1
And how can you weight that against being unconscious or dead? You don't know, and have no way to know what non-existence is like.

that argument works both ways, they don't know either, so why should they disregard what life has to offer and do something so foolish?

Offline Algarn

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2014, 12:13:10 am »
+1
Ok, Clock, just imagine a soldier/whoever the hell you can think about is gravely wounded after an explosion/whatever kind of hadicapping accident. He asks you to kill him, since he's suffering a lot, and his life is going to be something similar to hell if he survives. Basically, you say you won't have the decency to end his life, even if it's his wishes ?

I wanted to study biology because there's nothing more fascinating than life. Its pretended unicity through the while universe makes it even more mysterious, and make us happy to be something else than non animated materia. But if one of my relatives has an accident like that and asks me to end his days, I won't hesitate a second, even though it will be one of the hardest choice for me ever to kill someone I grew with.

By this, I'm basically saying you should stop focusing on what YOU believe about this, and actually listen the one that is actually more concerned by his own death.

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2014, 12:54:54 am »
+2
My opinion on this is that if you are terminally ill you should have every right to have a fast death and not have to sit in a bed and suffer for weeks/months just to get the same results. There is nothing wrong with that in any way.

As for people that are non terminally I'll committing suicide, I don't think it' right because things will get better even though you're in a slump. The problem is that suicidal people don't realize that. When I was in late middle school I was suicidal for a pretty long time. The reason being that society kept telling me things that were not true and just plain hurtful. One of the largest things that can make a person consider suicide, in my opinion, is when you feel like you're worthless.

One of the more major things that might have contributed to this is that I kept myself quiet and never told anybody about it, even to this day. Society frowns upon people being suicidal so much that it just made me want to tell nobody. That might be one of the largest problems, actually.

In terms of suicide being selfish, it's not. It's selfish of others to consider their own emotions over the decisions of another.
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2014, 12:55:22 am »
youre assuming that for every action that emotionally affects others. those negative emotions felt are gonna be equal to that of the death of someone you know?

No I am not. I am assuming that if that is the basis of his argument then he should extend that to other actions as well. If it doesn't extend to other actions that also do the same thing (affect others emotionally) then he is holding suicide as a special case. He has to make the argument that it should be considered a special case over the other actions before being able to hold that the argument is valid.

His argument is basically:

P1) John is going to commit suicide.
P2) John's family and friends deeply care about John.
P3) This act of caring about John will cause emotional trauma when John commits suicide.

QED John should not commit suicide.

Its a very basic premise setup but its pretty much what heskey is saying from what I've seen in his posts so far. But its very possible he didn't go into depth on his position since who really does in the first couple posts. Plus it assumes that only people that have people who care about them should not commit suicide based on those premises. So people who don't have anyone are free and clear it seems.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2014, 01:22:38 am »
+2
that argument works both ways, they don't know either, so why should they disregard what life has to offer and do something so foolish?

There's no rational motive to choose either way. And you don't even get to decide actually, you are "dying" 50 times per second. You have no stream of consciousness, the only evidence of your own existence in the past is your memory which isn't perfect at all. You could also die while sleeping. Fear of death while sleeping is actually a real (and quite common to some degree) mental condition. Why are you accepting to sleep even though that means you lose even your perceived consciousness?