Author Topic: Suicide  (Read 5018 times)

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
Re: Suicide
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2014, 01:26:37 am »
+1
'should not' depends on how much empathy they possess or how much they care about the people who's lives they'll be harming. If they're totally 100% selfish and dont care about those people, then of course i would not only acknowledge their right to go and die in a hole, i'd encourage it.

One thing they cannot do is take an action that hugely effects the people around them and say ''It's my choice, i am acting selflessly''. Dont let that stop them from removing themselves from my species, by all means, but i think that before they do it they should at least be honest with themselves about the consequences and what a piece of shit that makes them in the event that anyone in the world cares about them. You're not 'ending it all' by suiciding, you're passing on your suffering to the people who loved you, that's one hell of a selfish thing to do.

I think my previous post answers this as well but its not specific to this so.. I'll respond to this.

Are you saying that suicide is a special case vs any other action that may affect other people emotionally? If you are, why should it be? If you are not, where do you draw the line? There are many actions that one can take that affect other people emotionally. Does it matter how many people it affects as well? If it just affects 1 and its not all that bad for that person is it ok?

As for the whole "pos, asshole, coward" stuff, that's fine. It has nothing to do with anything about suicide itself as to whether people should be allowed to do it. It seems funny to me to say "should be allowed" when it comes down to someone's own life no matter how many people it affects, especially when the only effect it has on other people is emotionally. If you want to get down to protecting how people feel, that's a whole new tangent to this. 

It really seems like you're placing the whole emphasis not on the suicide itself nor the person doing it but on the people they may know. Which seems ass backwards to me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2014, 01:33:57 am »
normative ethics: the thread

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2014, 01:38:50 am »
+1
I don't get it (as a rational decision- I think I understand it as a symptom of mental dysfunction) at all. I mean, it is currently a non-disputed fact (I don't count religious explanations) that you're going to die.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2014, 01:42:15 am »

(click to show/hide)

Come join us on THE HUMANITIES: Pathway to Worthless Degrees

I don't get it (as a rational decision- I think I understand it as a symptom of mental dysfunction) at all. I mean, it is currently a non-disputed fact (I don't count religious explanations) that you're going to die.

Thinking the same thing.  Trying to rationalize self destruction is something more easily understood by having a copy of the DSM-V nearby.

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2014, 01:45:31 am »
+1
fine, agree-to-disagree. im going back to the fap thread, more pictures there
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2014, 01:48:32 am »

(click to show/hide)

Keep steering if you like.

When someone wants to say that suicide is the 100% chance that you will die, this implies it is bad. It also ignores the fact that everyone dies, suicide or not.

What this statement really means is "you will 100% die sooner than you might have otherwise". Which implies living longer is better than otherwise.

So the argument you're really making is "I don't get it, you will die sooner than you otherwise would have." So why should one live longer than they'd like if they don't want to live any longer?

It may be self destruction but its not like if they didn't do this, they wouldn't undergo the same sort of destruction later.

So what is the worth of living longer when you don't want to? Is there even a way to show this in a logical argument?

fine, agree-to-disagree. im going back to the fap thread, more pictures there

inb4 suicide girls (teh irony)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2014, 01:49:05 am »
+3
The way I see it people that are depressed or mentally ill need to be protected from their own corrupted thought processes. Society has a duty to protect people and that includes deciding when people are fit to make decisions such as when they die. You have to explore ways to lessen any mental pain people may be enduring and get them help, the same as physical wellbeing is treated. People die without even getting treated for their problems just because you can't see mental illnesses. These are the guys that die tragic deaths and should be protected from themselves. Even when treated they can still need protecting. Besides that though there are instances were I believe in Euthanasia. I think most mental issues would never get to the point where someone should have the option of euthanasia. Terminal patients should have the option after exploring other avenues, or maybe things like Alzheimers

People that fail suicide often immediately regret the decision. I can't remember the actual quote, I think its from The Bridge documentary. But the gist is that after jumping one of the guys realised he could fix every problem in his life except the fact he just jumped.
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2014, 01:50:49 am »
+2

Yes, and there's no reason to die earlier or later than "expected" ("expected" being utterly meaningless anyway). Most people only suicide under specific mental conditions, and many suicide attempts are simply cries for help. Like every other living species we have a natural attraction to survival. But ultimately that instinct is a biological process, not the sign that existence has intrinsic value. If you suppose you create a conscious robot without a strong drive for self-preservation it might just spontaneously decide to stop itself.

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2014, 01:54:07 am »
+1
If you ever say that suicide is selfish go ahead and do me a favor and eat a screwdriver.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2014, 01:59:12 am »
+1
If you ever say that suicide is selfish go ahead and do me a favor and eat a screwdriver.

Well it implies you don't give a shit about the people that continue on after you die which is kinda (very) selfish

Not trying to take away from the thoughts people have though, to reach the point of wanting to commit suicide you must have gone through a lot. It is selfish though on one hand and on the other people simply need to be treated for their illnesses
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2014, 02:03:11 am »
+1
So what is the worth of living longer when you don't want to? Is there even a way to show this in a logical argument?

Only that that it is probable that you will change your mind.

Otherwise, you're right. There's no reason to keep living if you don't want to live.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2014, 02:07:14 am »
+3
Have anyone mentioned the single most critical issue with a suicide yet?.. Suicide is a one-way ticket to hell:

While i am chilling on the left side, wearing golden armor, silk cape, and enjoying myself - suicidal fools are getting knocked over in a pit, tortured by all sorts of ugly-ass vampires, and getting raped by horny green dragons.
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2014, 02:13:27 am »
+1
Have anyone mentioned the single most critical issue with a suicide yet?.. Suicide is a one-way ticket to hell

/b/ is worse than any interpretation of that place

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2014, 04:00:41 am »
+1
I'll try and go in order from where i'm sitting:

Suicide is an extreme act, in that regard it is not so much a special act but one that sits at the extreme end of 'affecting other people'. Consider the spectrum of being a random jerk to people who care about you, but ofc at an extreme end. Of course it's hard to quantify or generalize and context is everything. You might weigh two different instances differently:
(click to show/hide)

Yes they're 2 extremes. I dont draw the line anywhere, because you cant stop them and you certainly cant punish anyone after they're dead. What i feel is my own personal judgement of those people and their character, case 1 may or may not be something i would want to do, but case 2 is outright despicable. Maybe some dont see much of a difference, i feel from personal experience that although neither cases are particularly happy or good, it feels like the main Taboo and stigma lies along that distinction.

I don't feel a difference in the two in any meaningful distinction. If you want to put it in an emotional light.. then sure there's a difference but I don't see that as a meaningful distinction to compare the two unless that's what you're trying to discuss. Then we're discussing two different things.

Again, there's no 'should be allowed' since you cant prevent an individual from doing it. Maybe my wording was clumsy if my last post contained expressions like that. I know full well that 'fairness' isnt a factor, a person is fully able to be born, given a nice upraising in a loving family, and go kill themself before their 18th birthday, 'sorry ma and pa, i just dont like living, but thanks for trying'. I think it's a shame people like that exist in the first place, but they do, and ofc i wouldnt propose any sort of structure or 'emotional police' to protect the family. If the would-be suicider was a decent human being he'd be doing that himself.

When someone says should or ought in terms of an action, "one should not do x" or "should not want to do x", this is putting forth an ought statement.

You said "If the would-be suicider was a decent human being he'd be doing that himself (not commiting suicide to protect his family's emotional state)." This is putting forth an ought statement. One should not commit suicide to protect their family.

This puts the emotional state of the family/friends over the life and emotional state of the would-be suicidal person. This says that the emotional trauma the family would go through should outweigh the emotional need or want of the suicidal person because a decent (good) person would do so.

I do not agree with this ought statement in the least.

The suicide itself and the person doing it, does it need emphasis? Their part in it can last a few minutes if they wish that to be the case, they go and pop their clogs, permadeath is on, and then it's everyone else who actually suffers and they can suffer for a long time. If it did not occur to them before they died what impact it would have, they certainly wont have much chance for remorse after. Once again, you cant stop them from doing it, but you can discourage it, give it a stigma and certainly not make it 'easy' for them to do it. I would have no sympathy for case 2, but i would have immeasurably more sympathy for case 2's family than case 1's family.

This is what I am trying to understand.. why make it be a stigma or a problem? Why should one weigh the emotional stress of the person's family and friends so heavily over the person's choice over their own life? Why are you focusing so much on this aspect even over the suicide itself? It seems vastly more important to you.

*edit* what order would you view things from then?

*edit edit* eeeeeeuuuuuurgh, now i see your other post that wasnt in reply to mine but answered in more depth. Dont wanna replace segments of text-wall so it remains ignored till next post - but i did read it!

I'm not sure what you mean by what order I see things from but if you did read my other post I hope it makes things clearer for you. Look forward to your next post.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2014, 09:39:16 am »
+2
Some people think suicide is the only way to prove that you have free will over your natural behavior, but it doesn't prove anything as the decision to suicide still derives from your brain processes.
Your logic doesn't make sense. Obviously those people don't mean "free will over your brain process." Natural is a pretty bad word to describe it, but what "some people" probably mean is that you have control over your evolution-programmed needs and desires, and aren't just a slave to your System 1 running in the background. Suicide is not "natural behavior", so their point is indeed proven.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.