Author Topic: Suggestions for more consistent gameplay  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Suggestions for more consistent gameplay
« on: November 17, 2014, 02:58:16 pm »
+9
After playing this game for so long there are some thing's i'd like to see changed back or just removed for more consistent and fun gameplay.

First being rain, please just remove it, or atleast the penalties it comes with. It really feels like its raining every other map and its just plain annoying. I doubt anyone actually likes it.

Second, block stun on sideswings. On overheads its cool, makes overheads useful for something since sideswings are generally better and easier to hit. It just feels so random when its on all swings, hard to predict, encourages random swing spam while i feel overheads can be tactically used for a stun to put people of their groove.

Thirdly remove turnrate nerf, maybe im biased as a stabby polearmer but lately i've been playing a lot of 1h and 2h and even on them it just makes me feel out of control when i cant turn enough to keep up with someone strafing sideways, especially now with the generally higher athl on the server. It doesnt really limit spinstabs, it just makes them inconsisitent and makes me feel less in control of my character.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
Re: Suggestions for more consistent gameplay
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 03:26:11 pm »
Fully agree on 2 and 3, but just reduce the chance of rain plz.

Offline AwesomeHail

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Blaze it nerds
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries.
  • Game nicks: Hail, lol, Kankerhoer etc
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 03:33:39 pm »
but those constant right-wing 1h range abusers will abuse further if that happens. i mean, 105 reach

(click to show/hide)
Your binary primitive low capacity of thinking is not relevant.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 06:24:35 pm »
+1
Played ~10 maps today, 8 or so had rain, night, fog. It kinda sucks, im trying some stupid agi maul build but im moving at the same speed of everyone else even with massive athl because of rain.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Chasey

• Tournament Champion
  • Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Chase
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 11:07:57 am »
+3
+1 for removing the turn rate nerf. Because every 1's so fast with 36, they strafe quicker than your allowed to turn your stab, meaning glances and team hits mostly.
I like to fart on cold windows and lick the condensation :D

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 05:27:58 pm »

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:09:44 pm »
After playing this game for so long there are some thing's i'd like to see changed back or just removed for more consistent and fun gameplay.

First being rain, please just remove it, or atleast the penalties it comes with. It really feels like its raining every other map and its just plain annoying. I doubt anyone actually likes it.

I agree. I think rain should be a visual effect and a bit rarer. Have to bug devs.

Second, block stun on sideswings. On overheads its cool, makes overheads useful for something since sideswings are generally better and easier to hit. It just feels so random when its on all swings, hard to predict, encourages random swing spam while i feel overheads can be tactically used for a stun to put people of their groove.

Overheads have a high multiplier for stunning blocks, but yeah, it's possible for sideswings, too. I kind of agree with this even though that's just my 1h bias speaking here :) Functionality is in WSE.

Thirdly remove turnrate nerf, maybe im biased as a stabby polearmer but lately i've been playing a lot of 1h and 2h and even on them it just makes me feel out of control when i cant turn enough to keep up with someone strafing sideways, especially now with the generally higher athl on the server. It doesnt really limit spinstabs, it just makes them inconsisitent and makes me feel less in control of my character.

I think the turnrate nerf is good for preventing things like 180 maul overheads or stabs, but I think it should be a lot more lenient so attacks feel more fluid, or only affect weapons greater than a certain height or weight. Functionality for this is also in WSE.

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 09:36:05 pm »
The heavier/bigger the weapon, the slower you should be able to turn.
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 09:41:32 pm »
+1
I think the turnrate nerf is good for preventing things like 180 maul overheads or stabs

Can someone (you?) please explain what the problem with this was?

The turnrate is the #1 annoyance I have with this mod right now. It's incredibly frustrating not being able to direct your overheads and stabs and this turns them partly into luck-based missions (which encourages random spam).

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 12:05:38 am »
Can someone (you?) please explain what the problem with this was?

The turnrate is the #1 annoyance I have with this mod right now. It's incredibly frustrating not being able to direct your overheads and stabs and this turns them partly into luck-based missions (which encourages random spam).

The devs did this years before I became balancer. I think there was a discussion about pike spin jump tactics and the end result was the turn rate nerf. I never liked the turn rate reduction, but lightened up on it when they reduced it for lighter and shorter weapons a year later.

After thinking about it more, a turn rate nerf at all isn't an issue since Tydeus (mostly) removed dragging overheads and similar attacks like that, the (imo) true problem with the older high turn-rate.

Offline Akronus97

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kreus, Etard_without_R, Did_I_hear_PARTEY
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 02:24:53 pm »
+1
You cant direct your overheads? Something wrong with your mouse I suppose....
"There are no spams, just missed blocks" - Makelele 2014

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 03:22:18 pm »
+1
Also a thing to consider adding would be stuns when hitting people, like polearms used to have (not the one the gave away free hits, but the one that stops enemies in place for half a second). Atleast for 1h if anything, because once you are in a facehug duel, chances are if one of you gets hit you will walk through eachother. It's insanely annoying not having a clue where the enemy is when he is inside you. 1h is the weapon that has this happen the most because its a shortrange weapon, while 2h and polearm generally keep at distances.

Im not sure how much this would affect the gameplay if it were to be added on every weapon. It used to make fighting less chaotic when i was a polearmer and could easily stop and enemy from rampaging in a clusterfuck just by hitting him once. Worth considering atleast if the mod ever gets another patch. Also i think it would reduce the random spam, the get-hit-yolo-swing would be much harder because when you get hit you lose all footwork and the enemy will be at the advantage.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 02:19:10 pm »
Also a thing to consider adding would be stuns when hitting people, like polearms used to have (not the one the gave away free hits, but the one that stops enemies in place for half a second). Atleast for 1h if anything, because once you are in a facehug duel, chances are if one of you gets hit you will walk through eachother. It's insanely annoying not having a clue where the enemy is when he is inside you. 1h is the weapon that has this happen the most because its a shortrange weapon, while 2h and polearm generally keep at distances.

Im not sure how much this would affect the gameplay if it were to be added on every weapon. It used to make fighting less chaotic when i was a polearmer and could easily stop and enemy from rampaging in a clusterfuck just by hitting him once. Worth considering atleast if the mod ever gets another patch. Also i think it would reduce the random spam, the get-hit-yolo-swing would be much harder because when you get hit you lose all footwork and the enemy will be at the advantage.

This. Although I suppose giving lower body stun to all attacks would have other far reaching consequences.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2967
  • Infamy: 1339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 02:48:14 pm »
Stun is bad because it makes fights one sided, it will basically be who hits first wins. Collision issues of Warband engine has nothing to do with it and this won't fix them in any way.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 03:05:03 pm »
Stun is bad because it makes fights one sided, it will basically be who hits first wins. Collision issues of Warband engine has nothing to do with it and this won't fix them in any way.

Never felt like that when i had stuns on polearms, allthough it did help quite a bit in ganks. It just makes things less chaotic. But if every weapon had it game could change quite a bit so im not sure what would happen if it was implemented.