Author Topic: Lolhammers - again  (Read 2645 times)

Offline Tequnique

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Lolhammers - again
« on: May 22, 2011, 11:29:39 am »
I've read through a few suggestions - and I think this subject needs loving for sure.
The hammer is simply too powerful against shields - 10/10 times Im getting hit im dead THROUGH my shield.
The singlehand hammer is has a percentage knockdown ability. Maybe 30% chance of knockdown - whilst the Lolhammer has a 100% crushthrough instakill against my 49 armor and shield... It's just not realistic nor playable.
The damn thing can change direction in midflight like you where wielding a piece of paper... - once such a weapon has a vector - it should be hard to redirect its force - however - that I consider least of matters...

a) A simple solution, I believe, is to simply make the weapon knock you down - through a sheild or block  - like a horse hits you.
b) Another simple  is increase the weaponknockdown probability approx x2 of the 1-H weapons (Foreach point weapon damage = 1.5% KnockD)
c) Third solution is a stun effect - where the receiver is unable to counter attack for approx 0.4 Seconds.

Secondary solutions (more complicated ones)
a) Hitting a shield with the hammer-  the knockdown & damage only occurs as with horses - you need momentum to perform it - and you can only knock down if you have forward momentum. - if you stand still and swing you will not knockdown or do damage - but slightly stun the victim - making him unable to counter.
b) Parrying the LOL w/ 2h. If the LOL has momentum = knockdown and damage. If no/less momentum  = stun and slight damage.
c) Once the LOL has momentum it is not able to redirect it - making other weapons - weapons of choice in open encounters.

Tertiary suggestions
a) KnockD chance based on total damage modifier (strength + weapondam +momentum = %KnockD)

What do you guys think? Totally off mark?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
Re: Lolhammers - again
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:42:06 am »
What is the lolhammer
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Momo

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Momo_
  • IRC nick: Momo
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:52:21 am »
stopp QQ, 2 handers lost 70% of their cursh weapons and now you complain about the survivors? look at just the great maul, it's req is !!!!20!!! fucking str...
I was the first one who started -1-ing everyone, now everyone does it to everyone.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:58:45 am »
Part-time lolhammer user and current shielder here, what works best for (and against) me is to put the shield on your back and try to get a hit in while the mauler prepares his swing. If you've got decent speed you can spam him because his weapon is so slow.  :twisted:

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 01:53:16 pm »
Part-time lolhammer user and current shielder here, what works best for (and against) me is to put the shield on your back and try to get a hit in while the mauler prepares his swing. If you've got decent speed you can spam him because his weapon is so slow.  :twisted:

^^this.

You don't even need to put the shield on your back. Just block the sideswings and spam the shit out of him. One dead hammer user.

Offline Tequnique

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 03:14:45 pm »
Thx for the reply... however Im not concerned about the one on one situations -
What IM refering to is situations where you are moving into, for example, a chokepoint - in front of me are a few 2-h and some 1-h with shield..
All at the sudden - a lol-man is approaching from behind the ranks as I block one of the others and kills me in one shot...
If I had been knocked down by it - One of my mates could have covered my as I was down - however - I didnt even have a chance to recover...

Another situation is - Im fighting with 3 guys - doing fine - from the side a LOL-man is running up there is no option but to block him  - and im dead.

Even in one on one - its very hard if the LOLman is good...
Especially if he is fast too - as he chambers his hammer - then keep the range - waiting me to enter.
As I specialize in 1-H - I have to wait for him to enter - or get LOL'ed - as I have to block to close the gap - and even when I close he just keeps the spacing backwards - so he manage to chamber another - and im dead again. Really nazti shit.

By doing the changes I mentioned - it can STILL be an effective weapon - as you may stun or knockdown your opponent...
but to kill in one blow - just blows...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 03:17:40 pm by Tequnique »

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 03:21:28 pm »
you are a terrible player with terrrible battle sense. Avoid those chokepoints and let the archers shoot into it, OR FLANK?

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 03:36:24 pm »
Hammers are designed to be fantastic support weapons and you're complaining when someone is using it to great advantage as a support weapon?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 06:58:35 pm »
I do admit that the Long Maul has a murderous crushthrough, but luckily it is slow enough that if you keep "your eye on the ball" you should be able to sidestep and have him miss most of the time.

I usually just treat it as a particular weapon that I should avoid when playing my shielder, and am content with the fact that they will suffer against most other 2Hers or archers in battle.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 07:34:49 pm »
I do admit that the Long Maul has a murderous crushthrough, but luckily it is slow enough that if you keep "your eye on the ball" you should be able to sidestep and have him miss most of the time.

The problem I've found with any weapon is that with an overhead swing they are able to just turn into you or slide their weapon across the ground at the end of the animation into your feet and it will do full damage as if they had actually swung at your feet.

Offline Diavolo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Engineering student - Will pwn your ass in physics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templars
  • Game nicks: Templar_Diavolo, Aleta
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 08:10:16 pm »
The lolhammer is the only true great counter against a turtle shielder in melee. The lolhammer is supposed to be a support weapon able to crush through enemy shielders your friends have a problem with. However, both for the sake of realism and balance, I suggest one makes the lolhammer unable to block. In real life its a lot easier to block with a dagger than with a heavy weapon like the lolhammer. Also making the lolhammer not able to block would place it right where it belongs: as a support weapon to pop out from behind an ally and deal a crushing blow on a turtle shielder. For the sake of variety, realism and fun, keep the amazing destructive power of the lolhammer, and rather remove something unrealistic from the game. (blocking with the lolhammer, if my sentences were a bit hard to understand)

Offline Tequnique

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 11:09:49 pm »
The lolhammer is the only true great counter against a turtle shielder in melee. The lolhammer is supposed to be a support weapon able to crush through enemy shielders your friends have a problem with. However, both for the sake of realism and balance, I suggest one makes the lolhammer unable to block. In real life its a lot easier to block with a dagger than with a heavy weapon like the lolhammer. Also making the lolhammer not able to block would place it right where it belongs: as a support weapon to pop out from behind an ally and deal a crushing blow on a turtle shielder. For the sake of variety, realism and fun, keep the amazing destructive power of the lolhammer, and rather remove something unrealistic from the game. (blocking with the lolhammer, if my sentences were a bit hard to understand)

I agree on this one - with a slight adjustment:
a) Not REMOVE block - but SLOW block.
b) Knock down through shield/block - less damage.

If you allow knockdown - you must swing x2 to kill - as he is on the ground. But regardless - it is a huge advantage.
By slowing down blockrate - you will use it for support as you said.. good call.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 11:12:46 pm »
You can't slow down block.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 02:14:27 am »
If you remove block, you can also remove the whole weapon, because no one will use it anymore. The long maul is so slow that even if I block 1h or 2h, they still can strike again before i have prepared another swing. The great maul is a bit faster, but you can easily feint it, they are drilled to block once -> overhead.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Akincibegi

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Akincibegi and a lot of alts
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 02:35:36 am »
stopp QQ, 2 handers lost 70% of their cursh weapons and now you complain about the survivors? look at just the great maul, it's req is !!!!20!!! fucking str...
u can go for 21 str 18 agi for being a effective 2h and u can use your hammer too.so no need to complein.