Author Topic: This Strat Sucks ( bitter rant ahead )  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
Re: This Strat Sucks ( bitter rant ahead )
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 09:57:03 pm »
Well if you make a lot of gold that wont be a problem...

Gold Silver(One of these days I'll start using the right term.) is rarely a limiting factor in strat, it is always tickets. Losing tickets is a problem that most NA factions can Ill afford.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ARN_

• Duke
  • Renown: 605
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Kalmarunionen_Arn
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 10:04:30 pm »
Gold Silver(One of these days I'll start using the right term.) is rarely a limiting factor in strat, it is always tickets. Losing tickets is a problem that most NA factions can Ill afford.
I mean if you want to garrison a place make it a buying fief and when you make a shit ton of silver you can buy all of that goods no problem, even if it's a selling fief just buy it if you have to

NA and strat...
'You think you tell us what we do?'
'We not here for you entertainment'.
Eastern European sportsmanship 2014

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 10:07:08 pm »
I mean if you want to garrison a place make it a buying fief and when you make a shit ton of silver you can buy all of that goods no problem, even if it's a selling fief just buy it if you have to

NA and strat...

And how then, do you hold onto your sell feifs? What if you are under attack?

NA is far to aggressive to let it slide with a no army fief. Someone will attack it when it's s/d goes up and it has high crime.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 11:00:04 pm »
And how then, do you hold onto your sell feifs? What if you are under attack?

NA is far to aggressive to let it slide with a no army fief. Someone will attack it when it's s/d goes up and it has high crime.

Buy the goods in your selling fief.... It can't be that hard, can it?

Also high crime means they can't defend it either even if they take it. Just go back a day later and take it back. Or do you think we can sail to UIF lands on EU and take their fiefs just because they can't put armies in? Think again.

Offline Balikar

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moonshine, Cruxton
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 11:20:37 pm »
+4
Here's the thing Anders is getting at.  If you are forced to buy the SnD at a sell fief, consistently, two things happen.  1)  You don't have the gear to defend it.  or 2) You run out of money.  The fief, in and of itself,  only makes money from transactions.  If the crime is going up, it's because there aren't transactions happening.  Also, keep in mind, he's speaking from a central fief.  The bonuses are a little harder to come by in the middle when it comes to goods, and most people aim for a fringe fief to sell at (One towards the side of the map) 

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 11:27:00 pm »
+2
ballicker is correct
Leader of BS

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 11:50:36 pm »
As a trader I can surely confirm those central Astralis fiefs were annoying to buy from, I would pop in on my way through often because: lots of S&D. And then could never get a very good % bonus for them - often selling goods from there at ~200% (whereas generally I'm aiming for 300-350%).
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 12:04:11 am »
As a trader I can surely confirm those central Astralis fiefs were annoying to buy from, I would pop in on my way through often because: lots of S&D. And then could never get a very good % bonus for them - often selling goods from there at ~200% (whereas generally I'm aiming for 300-350%).

Still, low tax makes up for the shittier %. At this point, I almost should have specced it as a gear fief, but we needed a safe buy spot so we went with that, even if the bonus sucks, it makes us money when we need it.

Offline Balikar

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moonshine, Cruxton
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 12:30:42 am »
ballicker is correct

Hey now, I'm the enemy.  At least downvote the post! 

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 12:37:15 am »
+3
but I like what you said and what I choose to think you are doing while you said it!
Leader of BS

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 01:27:54 am »
Here's the thing Anders is getting at.  If you are forced to buy the SnD at a sell fief, consistently, two things happen.  1)  You don't have the gear to defend it.  or 2) You run out of money.  The fief, in and of itself,  only makes money from transactions.  If the crime is going up, it's because there aren't transactions happening.  Also, keep in mind, he's speaking from a central fief.  The bonuses are a little harder to come by in the middle when it comes to goods, and most people aim for a fringe fief to sell at (One towards the side of the map)

For 800 prosperity, 23 price the worst case scenario would be that you'll never ever get any goods in to the fief you can sell:

400 goods bought a day, 400 sold at -50% = 400*23*0.5=4.6k* per day. For a month you'd need 140k, so about one tenth of a medium army wasted.
*=actually it isn't even that bad, because the price will go down once you sell the 400 goods and you'll buy with a lower price

But let's be honest, how likely is it that no one is able to smuggle any goods into the fief for a month?

I agree about the location, it's not optimal, especially not on NA, where there's less of those fiefs on the edge of the map.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:36:14 am by Mr.K. »

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 02:22:51 am »
Trading in Europe is easy.  Just go fief to fief around the map in a circular fashion and buy 249 goods when you can and sell whenever you come across a fief and your goods are over 300%.  You just wander with your maximum crates, and after you sell 249 or so, you just buy more at the next one.  I was carrying about 1500 goods at a time and still moving quite fast.

In North America there were few free trade fiefs, and the distance between them was greater, so I'd just go back and forth across the map, then sit and wait if there was no SD available.  As for the dumping of goods, it works within a small faction.  The guy who's tied to his fief can sell it when best to keep his SD at reasonable levels.  And he gets half the money, which usually goes into one big pot anyways.

Also small factions loomed what they needed, starting with the cheap stuff cuz that's all they could afford at the beginning.  And while you could make a deal with a neighbouring faction that you'll loom 2 handers and polearms if they loom 1 handers and shields, but if you happen to go to war with each other it could make for some pretty crappy battles.

But crime is a bitch.  If you can't control it due to lack of money or trade partners, you lose your garrison.  You lose your garrison anyone can walk in and raid your fief.  I'd say make crime hurt the citizens rather than the garrison, and only up to half the population can be lost.  And get rid of raids altogether.  What exactly was the point of them any way?  So people can have one exp battle, then a peasant slaughter 24 hours later?

So NA is shittier cuz it has a lower population, less fiefs, less silver and more crime (at least compared to EU when it was active).  This is sort of historically accurate.  We're a backwoods population, like Scotland in medieval times, or the barbarians circling the edges of the Roman Empire.  But what we lack in gear and equipment we make up for in ferocity.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 04:27:42 pm »
But what we lack in gear and equipment we make up for in ferocity.

Angry peasants are more dangerous than trained, armed and armored foes ? That's quite new to me.

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 07:29:27 pm »
Angry peasants are more dangerous than trained, armed and armored foes ? That's quite new to me.
Well the Scots never defeated the English did they? But they beat the other Scots regularly. And NA could beat the euros with our crap gear if they had a bunch of civil wars and we outnumbered them ten to one like what happened to the Romans.

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 400
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 08:32:59 pm »
+1

BRO, WE TRAIN, WE TRAIN HARD! WE TRAIN WITH ROCKS AND SHIT!

GOML
I REMEMBER PLAYING IN RAIN
THROUGH THE NIGHTFALL WITH FOG
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
BUT IM MORE HORRIFIED OF A MOD
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE