Author Topic: This Strat Sucks ( bitter rant ahead )  (Read 3633 times)

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 400
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
This Strat Sucks ( bitter rant ahead )
« on: September 01, 2014, 06:02:27 pm »
+15
I almost wish Squids\Barbs didnt get things moving in strat, EU is dead, and if NA died as well, we could have possibly got a restart. Right now we have to wait till December for this garbage to end and real strat to start.

I went polearm this strat, based completely on how well others did with polearm during strat 4. I did alright for strat 4 it was my first, this strat i wanted to top the board like i do in any other mode, and if everyone had "Medieval gear" i know i would do great.

So i switched to polearm not thinking for a second that this would be STRAT:5 THE DARK AGES.

Bitch if i wanted to play Vikingr, i would go play Vikingr, I wanted to play a Medieval War Sim, you know...with Medieval gear.

Polearmers got screwed this strat, 1h\2h have tons of great cheap option, armies usually have hundreds of great 2h weapons to pick from, but only a handful of decent polearms? like 60 long axes or bards...then ur stuck with shit.

More often than not i find myself dropping my garbage +0 mil scythe for +3 sideswords and +3 two handed axes, much better to have 0 wpf and be able to kill things, those axes are incredibly cheap and do amazing dmg.

This strat has been complete garbage, its almost OVER, and its still peasant wars.

As a NA player, ive only fought in 2 battles where both sides had decent gear and mercs, and even then there was a huge ping disadvantage for the EU players we massacred.

So yeah, basically have not fought one good legit fight this entire strat, and only 2 battles had decent gear for both sides, and i did great in them, and i had fun. Those two battles are the only thing that has come even close to matching the fun times of strat 4.

And those would be considered shitty strat 4 battles, like seriously, the worst crappiest strat 4 battles , were still better, more amazing and more fun, then the best battles of strat 5.

What a fucking failure.

I hope next strat rnd, the devs listen to the players, instead of the voices in their heads, we actually play the game, we actually know what will be fun or not, too many decisions are made in this game regarding fun, by people who dont even play it.

I REMEMBER PLAYING IN RAIN
THROUGH THE NIGHTFALL WITH FOG
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
BUT IM MORE HORRIFIED OF A MOD
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE

Offline Chosen1

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 1016
  • cRPG Player
  • din do nuffin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Castile
  • Game nicks: Chosen1, Matteo, El_Cid
Re: This Strat Sucks ( bitter rant ahead )
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 06:08:56 pm »
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings cmp, I would feel pretty bad too if I was a useless no life virgin who spent his adulthood making video games LOL
its ok though, now i have more time to - all the posters i dont like
But I wrote a poem that I would like you all to read
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 400
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 06:09:54 pm »
+4
sigh...

your very welcome chosen
I REMEMBER PLAYING IN RAIN
THROUGH THE NIGHTFALL WITH FOG
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
BUT IM MORE HORRIFIED OF A MOD
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 06:38:54 pm »
+1
Ima +1 this thread coz yolo.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 08:43:43 pm »
+2
You're little bit late if you discover this strat sucks after 9 months or something.

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 09:20:01 pm »
+1
Strat 5 does suck.

But, keep your polearm character on NA1 and switch out a main for strat.
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
Re: This Strat Sucks (bitter rant ahead )
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 11:22:04 pm »
Strat is a place for 2h, cav and archers, not pole or xbow (tried xbowing in strat once. It´s terrible, since strat requires quantity pew pew spamming, not long time reloading xbows...)

next time grab a 2h maul and you´re fine

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 02:33:55 am »
+1
Odd, most people in Strat TS's complain about being poked to death so much.  But still, they tried some new ideas which just didn't work and we really should just give up on this.  I started all excited, but now it's meh.

And the reason it was so dead for so long and 'resurrected' by Kesh and the Squids was because after a rash of fighting, it takes weeks to rebuild an army.  Kesh got Euro gear, and Squids won the trading game (again) first.

But come fight for me Plumbo.  I bought most of my gear in Europe, and the shit I got will put you on the top of the lists again.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 02:20:49 pm »
+1
This is mostly an NA thing, although Squids did attack us months ago with English Bills and everything. The gear on EU has been fairly decent for months now, but as there are no factions fighting on EU, strat is pretty much dead on that side. There's of course the problem that most decent non-pokey polearms are relatively expensive compared to 2H options, so people making armies are less eager to buy those. That being said, long spears and pikes can dominate most battles so good polearmers can be worth a lot in the battles, both open field and villages.

There were a few problems with this strat (like crime working as a defensive tool), but most of the complaining by the NA guys - I think - is because the coordination of your trading has been poor from the start. Just look how the UIF does things on EU. Look at the prosperity they have in each of the trading fiefs. Now compare it to the NA fiefs. NA strat is more relaxed which can be fun, but there's some utter stupidity as well when it comes to trading. It really isn't that hard to do, just have a few guys doing it actively and all the time.

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 02:47:34 pm »
+2
This is mostly an NA thing, although Squids did attack us months ago with English Bills and everything. The gear on EU has been fairly decent for months now, but as there are no factions fighting on EU, strat is pretty much dead on that side. There's of course the problem that most decent non-pokey polearms are relatively expensive compared to 2H options, so people making armies are less eager to buy those. That being said, long spears and pikes can dominate most battles so good polearmers can be worth a lot in the battles, both open field and villages.

light spiked club, light lance, long vaulge. those are all cheap polearms that do just fine in ordinary battle or siege.

There were a few problems with this strat (like crime working as a defensive tool), but most of the complaining by the NA guys - I think - is because the coordination of your trading has been poor from the start. Just look how the UIF does things on EU. Look at the prosperity they have in each of the trading fiefs. Now compare it to the NA fiefs. NA strat is more relaxed which can be fun, but there's some utter stupidity as well when it comes to trading. It really isn't that hard to do, just have a few guys doing it actively and all the time.

they have also had a larger map all to themselves, NA players actually have to make alliances, trade routes, etc. it would happen in NA too if it were the case.
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 03:36:40 pm »
However, the only area that my joyless European obsession with efficiency overrules this is trading, NA is obsessed with swapping goods rather than just buying and selling.

This and the fact that some clans loom same crappy items in multiple fiefs instead of raising prosperity to actually gain gold to buy those... That swapping thing is so slow and hard to coordinate that it never works as it should and it requires three guys to do the job of one.

Jack1, true that there are less fiefs on NA which ofc makes it a lot harder to do effective trade, but the alliances thing isn't really true though, is it? Didn't you guys have like 5 months of peace this strat before Squids started attacking everyone?

Long spiked club was recently buffed making it an okay choice now. However it's fugly. Long voulge is awesome and we've used them since they were two-directionals iirc, not sure why everyone isn't though.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 05:34:13 pm »
+3
This and the fact that some clans loom same crappy items in multiple fiefs instead of raising prosperity to actually gain gold to buy those... That swapping thing is so slow and hard to coordinate that it never works as it should and it requires three guys to do the job of one.

Also, the average NA faction has a lot less fiefs - some have only 1 or 2 - so theya re building it for themselves - geara nd prosperity.  The "efficiency" you speak of is inherent in any faction that has a huge number of fiefs nearly uncontested not as much some coordination thing.  Having a huge number of fiefs you can have quite a few solely dedicated to trade and others only to gear.  Its a symptom of large, lame alliances that kill the mod, so the fact NA often doesn't have it is a healthy sign.  Any idiot can do the trade coordination of fiefs that UIF does if you have 70 fiefs or more with 300+ players, its a numbers game more than an intelligent decision one.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 05:43:05 pm »
Also, the average NA faction has a lot less fiefs - some have only 1 or 2 - so theya re building it for themselves - geara nd prosperity.  The "efficiency" you speak of is inherent in any faction that has a huge number of fiefs nearly uncontested not as much some coordination thing.  Having a huge number of fiefs you can have quite a few solely dedicated to trade and others only to gear.  Its a symptom of large, lame alliances that kill the mod, so the fact NA often doesn't have it is a healthy sign.  Any idiot can do the trade coordination of fiefs that UIF does if you have 70 fiefs or more with 300+ players, its a numbers game more than an intelligent decision one.

As a faction of 10-15 active and around 50 players total, we've had 0-2 fiefs most of the strat. That has not stopped us from trading. We've specced our own fiefs to trade only and then used the other faction's loomed gear to gear up our armies. A small faction with two fiefs should not loom their own shit, but rather trade and coordinate with other clans what to loom.

Sure Strat is a lot about numbers, but there are plenty of fiefs everywhere with useless looms that could have been used for prosperity. Everyone should learn a thing or two from the UIF (especially the Druzhina) on how to organize trade. Ofc having the desert makes everything a lot easier as there are no obstacles or anywhere for bandits to hide or get away to (my goods stolen from NA traders are still in Unriya Town Center if someone is interested).

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 09:46:40 pm »
As a faction of 10-15 active and around 50 players total, we've had 0-2 fiefs most of the strat. That has not stopped us from trading. We've specced our own fiefs to trade only and then used the other faction's loomed gear to gear up our armies. A small faction with two fiefs should not loom their own shit, but rather trade and coordinate with other clans what to loom.

Sure Strat is a lot about numbers, but there are plenty of fiefs everywhere with useless looms that could have been used for prosperity. Everyone should learn a thing or two from the UIF (especially the Druzhina) on how to organize trade. Ofc having the desert makes everything a lot easier as there are no obstacles or anywhere for bandits to hide or get away to (my goods stolen from NA traders are still in Unriya Town Center if someone is interested).

higher Prosperity means quicker increase in crime.

For example:
200 Props=6 days before crime
500 Prosp=3 days before crime
1000 Prosp= 2 days....

So, you don't want High prosp if you plan on garrisoning a fief(continually).

Offline ARN_

• Duke
  • Renown: 605
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kalmarunionen_Arn
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 09:55:53 pm »
higher Prosperity means quicker increase in crime.

For example:
200 Props=6 days before crime
500 Prosp=3 days before crime
1000 Prosp= 2 days....

So, you don't want High prosp if you plan on garrisoning a fief(continually).
Well if you make a lot of gold that wont be a problem...
'You think you tell us what we do?'
'We not here for you entertainment'.
Eastern European sportsmanship 2014