Author Topic: Will crpg gold be important in strategus?  (Read 8810 times)

Offline Sharky

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Legione Italica
  • Game nicks: LEGIO_Sharkyborn_Sharkatron Legio_Lollia_Paolina Legio_Sharkatrower Legio_SharkaNukes
Will crpg gold be important in strategus?
« on: May 21, 2011, 04:50:20 am »
So, i remember that in the old strategus there wasn't a real economy, so the only way to get cash was from pop taxes, and crpg grind.
Now i saw a lot of posts in wich people gives for granted that stored gold on crpg will be important on strategus.

Devs, is that true?
I know that money will be less important on strat since there will be crafting bartering etc. But will it still have some value?
I think that while a little grind on crpg is funny, being able to have any advantage just because you played since crpg beginning (when gold wasn't worth nothing) or leeched dozens of hours dressed as a peasant on siege mode, or because you sold all your heirlooms would be a terrible idea.

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
Re: Will crpg gold be important in strategus?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:36:26 am »
I'd like to know this as well. :)

Offline Astinus

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Armata Brancaleone
  • Game nicks: AB_Astinus
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 07:48:41 am »
I've been told that it will work in the other way around, strategus gold will be tranferable into crpg, but crpg gold stays in crpg only

it seems I got it wrong
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:54:07 pm by Astinus »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sharky

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: LEGIO_Sharkyborn_Sharkatron Legio_Lollia_Paolina Legio_Sharkatrower Legio_SharkaNukes
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:08:11 am »
I've been told that it will work in the other way around, strategus gold will be tranferable into crpg, but crpg gold stays in crpg only
Sweet.  Did they also told what you can do with strategus gold? Maybe just mercs hiring?

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 09:05:49 am »
the gold will have the value people will give to it. Just like the current marketplace.
Apart from trading, gold will have (nearly) no value.
Also, it will be transferrable both ways.

Offline Astinus

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Armata Brancaleone
  • Game nicks: AB_Astinus
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 01:56:52 pm »
the gold will have the value people will give to it. Just like the current marketplace.
Apart from trading, gold will have (nearly) no value.
Also, it will be transferrable both ways.
then how will I pay my mercenary? Blurt me moar!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kobold_Kommando

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • DIG! DIG FOR THE BIRTH CAVE!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Gentlemen
  • Game nicks: Gentlemen_Kobold
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 03:03:21 pm »
then how will I pay my mercenary?

This is a very good question. How will mercs get paid? Land?
Run in fear, tremble now... The Gentlemen are on the Prowl. 
 Sword and steel, O'er the fields, Arrows fly to crush their shields.
With grit and rage, We split their waves, And shall cast back these worthless knaves.
So run in fear, Do tremble now, For The Gentlemen are on the prowl...

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 03:29:13 pm »
Gold, troops, items, goods, land. In that order, would be my guess.

It's not like gold is likely to be worthless, its value just won't be tied directly to commodities like before.
Don't.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 04:12:47 pm »
If the value of gold is not tied to something of real value or very carefully regulated (at least) then the economy will stink.

Unregulated fiat money = Fail
And by what chadz says it sounds like Strategus will not have much direct use for gold, outside of player trading. So it definitely sounds like gold in Strategus will be very much a fiat currency. The value will depend entirely upon the players perception of golds value. Already I am now thinking it will not have much value at all from the self admitted near uselessness, in other words losing my faith in the value of the currency.

---

There are many examples of in game economies (MMOs mostly) going to shit because the developers did not understand how economies need to be set up...
I hope you guys have a plan to deal with inflation and deflation when they hit.

If there is not a decent "in Strategus" money sink then the value of gold in Strategus will drop to near nothing. Unless the playerbase have an obscene faith in the currency :P

Offline Odion

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Odion_IV, Odion_Power
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 04:16:54 pm »
can some one put this in english please,

can i or can i not use the money made in strategus to buy stuff in the current market.

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 04:37:46 pm »
can i or can i not use the money made in strategus to buy stuff in the current market.
You can.

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 05:04:19 pm »
I would to add to Plazeks dissent.

The problem I see is the following:

In a regulated economy, money has value because we, to some degree, expect to be able to recieve the same value of goods which we paid or recieved money for.

The problem with strat and cRPG is, that if money is completely transferable between the gamemodes, you will in strategus have a constant inflation, because new money are constantly produced in regular cRPG.

If there is no money sinks in strat, then you will, as I have already said, have a constant increase of money, hence lowering their value.

please please please add money sinks in strategus!
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Sharky

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 10:16:36 pm »
If the value of gold is not tied to something of real value or very carefully regulated (at least) then the economy will stink.

Unregulated fiat money = Fail
And by what chadz says it sounds like Strategus will not have much direct use for gold, outside of player trading. So it definitely sounds like gold in Strategus will be very much a fiat currency. The value will depend entirely upon the players perception of golds value. Already I am now thinking it will not have much value at all from the self admitted near uselessness, in other words losing my faith in the value of the currency.

---

There are many examples of in game economies (MMOs mostly) going to shit because the developers did not understand how economies need to be set up...
I hope you guys have a plan to deal with inflation and deflation when they hit.

If there is not a decent "in Strategus" money sink then the value of gold in Strategus will drop to near nothing. Unless the playerbase have an obscene faith in the currency :P
Well i hope that this will happen, since gold in crpg is not gained by training or something clever, but just by running in peasants gear or playing before the "repair stuff with money" patch, or selling heirlooms. So i think being able to move that money from crpg to strategus and gain an advantage because of it would be a really bad idea.

Strategus should have his own economy that doesn't rely on crpg grinding, or at least allow just strategus to crpg transfers but not crpg to strategus transfers

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 01:11:48 am »
I think this might lead to market crises, but at least that'll be entirely up to the players.

In fact, I think this way makes much more sense than in the previous strategus.

From what I understood, all the basic resource transactions won't need gold. I think (roughly) it'll be that you apply labour (players and time) to fiefs, and you get resources and tickets. Resources can then be made into equipment (I think through more labour).

So as long as the trade system isn't gold based (i.e. you can trade labour, resources, equipment etc as well as gold), you've got a barter based economy with currency on top.

Then, gold has (as chadz said) whatever value people give it. It should be a lot of fun seeing what happens. In itself gold will be worthless, since you can't produce anything with it. But I wonder how the system will evolve, maybe we'll see a gold standard established. Maybe we'll see the evolution of a currency based economy and even credit.
A situation where cRPG grind gold becomes influential in strategus, and any resulting situation of market crisis, would only be the fault of players.

Sounds like fun :)
I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 02:14:40 am »
To begin with I think gold might be accepted by those who want to buy heirlooms.

As strategus goes on, though, gold will be like real life paper money. It IS just paper - a promise of payment based on how much actual gold that country/bank has. My understanding of real life economics is pretty limited so forgive any mistakes.

So.. perhaps an item in strategus will become the new "Gold" and strategus gold will be based off that item. The price will most likely inflate as more gold comes in and more of the items are made but I dont think that's stoppable.