Author Topic: Upkeep Conspiracy  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Stand Tall! Shieldwall!
    • View Profile
    • Breidr's Twitch TV Channel
  • Faction: Highest Bidder
  • Game nicks: Breidr
  • IRC nick: Breidr
Upkeep Conspiracy
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:50:08 am »
+8
1,679 Upkeep (Max)

Losing gold due to constant 1x Multiplier.
Wear cheaper armor and keep loomed weapon and shield so I can still be effective.

982 Upkeep (Max)

Expensive weapon and shield break every round so gold is still lost.

WTF game, seriously?

Must wear peasant gear to make gold, or get lucky and get on good team for multiplier.

Offline Kirbies

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: kirbies, Weeaboo
Re: Upkeep Conspiracy
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 06:42:06 am »
+1
You must be very unlucky, because I slowly make money (barely) with my 2700 max upkeep char
"I don't rage in chat, but I yell at my moniter alot." -SaulCanner

29031: 23:16:33 - [SpookPalace] GET TO THE FUCKING FLAG RIGHT NOW YOU JOKER BABY DICKED GINGERALE PRODUCING GURGLERS

Offline SugarHoe

• Earl
  • Renown: 413
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisia
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 06:44:01 am »
+4
honestly there's really nothing you can do about upkeep except
(click to show/hide)
you really just need to get on  a good team with a multi or get valor, except that valor is broken most of the time so not an option. I make money with like double of that an I rarely get upkeep, looks like you have the illuminati and big pharma after you are really unlucky
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline chesterotab

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 07:14:40 am »
I feel your pain Breidr. Not being able to get valor on team 2 really cuts down on perma x5 trains that used to easily cover upkeep. I went from being able to stay even and make a little here and there to losing 10-20k every battle session. 10-20k in upkeep isn't unreasonable for how much I crutch and fill all of my slots, but it still makes me miss being able to make gold.

(click to show/hide)

▲ ▲

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 08:56:51 am »

4,2k upkeep
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:04:45 am by Latvian »
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 10:09:40 am »
+4
I play with 4000-5000 max upkeep gear on my cav and I haven't had to transfer money to it in ages. Key to not getting 'fucked' by upkeep is to stop misunderstanding the system and worry about round by round losses. Upkeep balances out in the long term. Yes, usually if you have an unlucky x1 streak you lose money, but then you have a higher multiplier and it balances out. Get a buffer of like 50k gold, start playing with 2000 max upkeep gear and only check your gold stock after like 10 hours. Guess what, you will have gained money.

Offline Johnnyfirs

• Earl
  • Renown: 351
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Rain Meat
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
  • Game nicks: Hugtand, milkman_whos_had_enough
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 11:43:39 am »
+3
I play with 4000-5000 max upkeep gear on my cav and I haven't had to transfer money to it in ages. Key to not getting 'fucked' by upkeep is to stop misunderstanding the system and worry about round by round losses. Upkeep balances out in the long term. Yes, usually if you have an unlucky x1 streak you lose money, but then you have a higher multiplier and it balances out. Get a buffer of like 50k gold, start playing with 2000 max upkeep gear and only check your gold stock after like 10 hours. Guess what, you will have gained money.

I'm sorry Teeth but you are kind of biased - I mean you have the Vanguard rapetrain at your side plus your permavalour.
Not saying that's a bad thing, I for one envy that, but most players just don't have the same privileges.

www.youtube.com/johnnyfirs
My feelings regenerate at twice the speed of a normal man.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 12:00:50 pm »
+1
I know, that is why I break even money with 4000-5000 max upkeep gear, whilst I am suggesting him to use gear with 2000 max upkeep. Which is half, which means that if my average multiplier is x4, which I highly doubt, and his is 2, which is statistically very probable, he should have the same experience.

(click to show/hide)

As you can see, statistically, even a 2,8 average multiplier requires a 70% win rate. Now of course valour greatly affects these statistics, but even when completely discounting valour, the average player has a multi of 1.9.

http://forum.melee.org/beginner's-help-and-guides/maintenance-update-crpg-0-223/

According to this thread, an average multiplier of 1.9 should allow you to wear about 3500 max upkeep without having you lose any money. This dates from 2011, but the breaking chance should be still at 4%, slightly less than that for your weapons through wpf, and slightly higher if you are using arrows or bolts. The claim that you lose money at 900 max upkeep is statistically complete bullshit, and can only stem from you looking at the extreme short term, which you should not do.

Offline Erebosaither

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • Awlpike FTW o/
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Erebosaither
  • IRC nick: Schumetzq
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 12:22:57 pm »

Absolutely +1

My upkeep;
3,944 gold
Upkeep (max)

And i'm still making money  :lol:

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Stand Tall! Shieldwall!
    • View Profile
    • Breidr's Twitch TV Channel
  • Faction: Highest Bidder
  • Game nicks: Breidr
  • IRC nick: Breidr
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 12:51:23 pm »
I don't even consider valor (broken or not) when determining how much gear I can carry.  Rarely get valor, so it being broken doesn't effect me.  What effects me the most is the [broken] multiplier system and the will of the team balancer.

I'm not exaggerating, really:

The gold expenditure you see in the beginning is me buying gear for gold and loom points after retiring.  The rest is what I've been playing on for about two weeks.  Mostly even, which is sad, but with a big dip at the end, which prompted me to "complain."

How can I see people run around in heavy armor or on fast horses indefinitely, but I can barely scrape together some medium armor, a shield, and a decently sharp blade?
What gives?

I'm sorry I'm not LOLPRO, I don't get valor.  I can't ride perma x5.  I'm not part of a huge banner stack that can rule the server either.

I'm just an average player that wants to have some fun, but the more I look into it, the more I feel the system is stacked against new and average players.  The multiplier system is probably the biggest problem.  Either get valor or win the coin flip.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:22:22 pm by Breidr »

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 03:39:38 pm »
Could you post the entire statistics page like this, so we can see how much you played and can compare the pay with the upkeep more easily?

(click to show/hide)

That is my cavalry character which uses expensive equipment. You can see how madly inconsistent upkeep is. I got 23k pay and received 31k upkeep over it, while the other day I got 11k pay and got 4k upkeep over it.

If both your big drops are due to buying equipment it does look like you earn money on average at least once they are discounted. The scale of the graph is very unprecise because of the 75k expenditure, so every millimeter above the 0 line represents 6k worth of income. If I'd do a quick guesstimation you earned probably over 70k in the third and second week. The fourth week seems a little rougher and it looks like you had a very bad x1 streak on the last day, but still that loss is easily compensated by earlier gains. I am quite sure that if you used the same gear throughout all this, you could wear it forever without ever running out of money, as long as you have a 50k buffer.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 03:44:46 pm »
+1
For an average player I think something like 40k total worth of gear should be doable on EU1 and not lose gold. However Siege has much worse upkeep it seems. Maybe due to having x1 or x2 most of the time, averaging way below that 1.9 that Teeth posted earlier. Make sure you have 30k gold or something and then you can forget the upkeep with medium gear. Sometimes you'll get unlucky and lose gold, sometimes you win.

Then there's the arrows and throwing stuff. More than one set of each item increases the chance of braking a lot. Carrying 4 stacks of Jarids basically guarantees them breaking every single round. I'm not sure how the breaking chance is calculated for carrying more than one item, but it's not done right. Only one of them can break, but the chance is much higher than twice as often. This increases the upkeep for archers, horses archers and throwers immensely and might have to be looked at.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 04:02:18 pm »
Wear expensive armour and weapon, get multiplier and no repairs. Ez lyfe
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline SugarHoe

• Earl
  • Renown: 413
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisia
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 04:32:29 pm »
  I'm not part of a huge banner stack that can rule the server either.
(click to show/hide)
ur in best clan EU/AUS/NA/CHN

Offline Inglorious

• Earl
  • Renown: 497
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Courage is our shield
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Banana Republic / Chevaliers
  • Game nicks: IngloriouslyBad / Affordable Cavalry
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 04:32:48 pm »
Economy builds are semi-effective methinks. Before the valor broke and I retired into STR crutch infantry, I could wear full plate, heavy lance, cataphract and make 20k in a sitting.

And look into getting a loadout more like this:

It's lighter weight than what you wear, which is always good for WPF. Lower cost than what I see you normally wear, for saving your bank from drying up. And despite looking weak it has high cost/effectiveness, and it goes with your clans theme color of blue.

Don't skimp on your helmet though, because odds are your face will take an average of 40% of the hits you take due to targeting swings. Unless you have some helmet you enjoy using, alternatively that gives you low armor, but the look you desire.