Poll

Remove randomplains spam?

Yes
44 (40%)
No
66 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Author Topic: Remove random-plains spam.  (Read 3006 times)

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
Remove random-plains spam.
« on: May 20, 2011, 03:46:03 pm »
After last patch, EU1 and EU2 become a random-plains spam. That maps are horrible, unplayable, rangedfest and cavalry spam everywhere. It's not bad to play one of that maps sometimes, but for each village map, three random-plains is abussive.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
Re: Remove random-plains spam.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 03:52:06 pm »
+1
Actually, i'm loving those plains maps. Really great for teamplay. Almost every plains map has led to interesting teamplay, ranging from hillcamps, frontal charges, flanking maneuvers, surrounding hilltops, ambushing cav in some hollow, etc. I really like playing those maps, because all of a sudden the whole team wants and needs a tactic to play.

Unlike all those endless village maps where the tactic is always: defenders camp, attackers flank. Or maps like Nord Town, where everyone just plays solo and the game turns into a bit of a shoot 'em up and melee frenzy. Even worse, Village, where everybody towercamps and many rounds end in a draw or at least take way too long.

I can't get enough of those random plains maps. Also, i really love the plains map with the river. Endless oppertunities for tactics and teamplay. And never a draw!  :D

Edite: That said, i suspect the sheer amount of plains maps now is the result of a bug. And in that case, it'll probably get fixed pretty soon.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:53:51 pm by Phazey »

Offline El_Infante

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 03:55:29 pm »
Phazey, there are spam-maps. You can teamplay on every map. Infantry will get bored waiting until end of map while cav and archers are dead and after 3 minuts of waiting, you can play. It's not fair that every 5 maps, 4 or them are random-plains. It destroy the game.
On maps like nordtown, portassault you have different ways to go to avoid cav or avoid archers. You know you can. In random-plains you have to hide behind a tree and wait for spam-end. Cav and archers like this map a lot. Of course, there is no way to play with infantry on it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:57:44 pm by El_Infante »

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:57:59 pm »
These maps are rediculously one sided at times and the auto-balance can't cope as it doesn't count for map biased.

With regards to tactics, I don't believe that teams really go for them during these maps, i've seen many times that people just full on charge or they attack in drips and drabs getting cut down. One team normally has a nice sized hill to sit on top of and shoot down thus meaning that the other team is at a massive disadvantage before anything actually even happens.

If the map is flat, then one team normally gets more cav, these guys just waddle around and take down most of the team no matter how good the tactics are sometimes you're just completely outclassed due to the balance of the players and classes you have at your disposal.

As much as I like the fact that you're trying to put in more variaty i'm fed up of seeing these maps and i've started to sit out in spectator every time they come on.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 03:58:11 pm »
Jep! Without a shield, plains maps are horrible. I suggest getting a shield, even a lowbie shield can catch a few arrows for you.
I'm kinda glad i always go at least shield 2 on my polearm alt and my 2h guy. To be honest, as an archer, i kinda dislike the plains maps. Makes me feel vulnerable and exposed. Love them as shielder and cav though.

Offline El_Infante

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 04:02:20 pm »
Why a player that don't use shield is forced to take a shield because every archer/xbower spam, and you don't have any chance of defend? Hiding behind a tree? Ridiculous. That maps are boring, and I think a lot of people think the same.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 04:08:36 pm »
Well, shields are part of the game and is the counter to arrows. If you choose not to use shield you will have to endure the "ranged spam".
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 04:10:18 pm »
Well perhaps some people do. Let's see what the poll says in a while.

I'm never bored on a plains map and like the variation they bring, compared to overplayed maps like Ruins and Field by the River, biased camp maps like Village and all those village maps. I'm just absolutely bored with those. And to say that a plains map is unbalanced? Hah, check how unbalanced most default maps are! Compared to that (villages and camp towers), a hillcamp is hardly a defence. Nothing a good surround can't handle.
Flat plains biased because one side has more cav? Hah, archer positions with a few pikes can deal with that.

Love some of the new maps, like the ones Mustikki made. They offer a welcome change, even though they are a bit heavy on the decorations, thus lowering framerate slightly.

But if i'm forced to play Ruined Fort one more time, i'll scream. I'm really, really bored with many of the default maps and i really, really like the variation most random plains maps bring. Fresh maps with random geography are fun. They make me think about what plans might work, they make my team want to try tactics because those are very effective on plains maps and it offers a bit of refreshing variation to most stale and overplayed maps.

But that's just my personal opinion ofcourse.

Offline Eyerra

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 04:23:24 pm »
I want them to go away.  :(

Offline hidden

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: hidden/HiddenArcher
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 04:24:16 pm »
Random generated maps are great, particularly the ones with rivers.

Shield walls are awesome and this is really the only map you see them on since on other maps every one just hides behind the corner of buildings/roofs

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 04:47:22 pm »
Random plains are nice, but there have to be some kind of tactical points to make it interesting. Just plain plains with smaller hills here and there is just plain boring.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 04:49:19 pm »
The current abundace of random plains is caused by bugged maps that appear in the rotation yet were removed from scenes with the last patch, causing a random map to be generated instead. I am now reviewing the EU1 rotation, should fix it tonight. Random plains will still be available, but as frequent as a normal map, not once every 3-4 maps like the current situation.

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 04:53:06 pm »
stop complaining, both sides have cavalry, what's your problem, i was playing EU_1 for a good half of the day yesterday and there was around 3 plains maps that entire day, the plains maps are really fun, you think every battle is fought in a village...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 04:53:34 pm »
I am now reviewing the EU1 rotation, should fix it tonight. Random plains will still be available, but as frequent as a normal map
NoooOOooOOo!  :cry:

Aww too bad. And hey, the poll is at 14 pro and 11 con votes on the plains maps. So please make them as common as you dare! Please? Pretty please with sugar on top? Maybe one in five or something?  :D

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 05:00:56 pm »
alright, so you're saying you want every map to be a village map, village maps suck, as Phazey said, it's always the same shit, archers on roofs, people hide in small groups until they're the last ones left, always someone with a hammer so it's next to impossible to get into the tower, i hate these maps but you don't see me making a thread to get rid of the village maps, there are more village maps than there are plains, i say leave it as it is, there's not even that many in rotation... :mad: