Poll

Does horse archery require a nerf?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Horse archery is too strong  (Read 30957 times)

Offline SkittlesofRivendale

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Horse archery is too strong
« Reply #255 on: July 19, 2014, 11:21:29 am »
All this is is that infantry can't catch someone on a horse. 

It's just a pure rage poll imo. 

They're not strong at all they take about 4-5 arrows to kill an archer alone, nevermind you lot with your 8 IF or whatever you carry around with you.  Plus your heavier armours.

Simple fact is, you can't kill them because they can run away from you on horseback.  You won't be happy until you can catch them and kill them because they can't fight back with a proper weapon.

Same old infantry, want everything easy for them to kill.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #256 on: July 19, 2014, 11:28:12 am »
Khergit were always unofficially banned on every populated/popular native battle server, practically even before release at beta. Now think really, really hard on why that might be. You fucking stupid cunts.
Worthless HA sadist whining about infantry chasing "easy kills", please uninstall the game and forget it exists you moronic hypocrite.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SkittlesofRivendale

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 19, 2014, 11:33:59 am »
Khergit were always unofficially banned on every populated/popular native battle server, practically even before release at beta. Now think really, really hard on why that might be. You fucking stupid cunts.
Worthless HA sadist whining about infantry chasing "easy kills", please uninstall the game and forget it exists you moronic hypocrite.

Actually, i'm just an archer.

Before that I was a polearm.  Even then I didn't mind them.  The HA's top of the scoreboard are good at their classes.  I bet you wouldn't complain if a 2h/1hShield/Polearm where at the top...

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 19, 2014, 12:27:26 pm »
+6
I bet you wouldn't complain if a 2h/1hShield/Polearm where at the top...
Indeed, if I see melee players carrying their team I do my utmost best to hurt their team by trying to take them out. Melee players are quite easily killed if they get focused, by both melee and ranged. I have been a priority target for enemy ranged a few times and it makes it hard to stay alive, usually I have to hide and my ability to influence the round gets greatly diminished. If a melee players is at the top of the scoreboard, that means he got in the face of his enemies and killed them. He put himself in about as much danger as the people he is trying to kill, with his smarts and his skills making him come out on top repeatedly.

A horse archer is only counterable by enemy ranged and they are fairly easy to evade. The horse archer can kill his enemies with zero risk to himself, with his intrinsic advantage in reach and mobility making him come out on top, with most of the playerbase on a server having zero chance to kill him. The nature of the horse archer class is why it should not be able to carry teams and have similar performances as other classes, multiplayer game design 101.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #259 on: July 19, 2014, 12:38:00 pm »
+1
Let's not fuck about, in terms of "realism", a horse archer from a nomadic culture is a superior battle field unit in every single way (horse archers also existed in settled cultures, but weren't as effective for very obvious reasons. They did not live most of their lives in the saddle). A significant factor on why turks and mongols spread themselves out over a huge chunk of eurasia. I've already made the point before, it would be as if firearms were ingame and the utter pieces of shit using it whined they weren't completely invulnerable to a guy rushing them with a stick.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 19, 2014, 06:08:23 pm »
+2
All this is is that infantry can't catch someone on a horse. 

It's just a pure rage poll imo. 

They're not strong at all they take about 4-5 arrows to kill an archer alone, nevermind you lot with your 8 IF or whatever you carry around with you.  Plus your heavier armours.

Simple fact is, you can't kill them because they can run away from you on horseback.  You won't be happy until you can catch them and kill them because they can't fight back with a proper weapon.

Same old infantry, want everything easy for them to kill.

I don't think someone should be able to select a class and then have free reign to get kills they don't deserve. I don't believe in pure Rock Paper Scissors, and especially not when there is no decent Rock to someone's scissors. That doesn't make for good competitive gameplay. I do like some pro's and con's to a class, but not this RPG shit

Besides, 4-5 shots is 4-5 shots that the player can't necessarily do anything about. Even if it too 20 shots thats 20 shots that aren't deserved
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
« Reply #261 on: July 19, 2014, 08:38:40 pm »
+1
You also gotta take into account actual medieval tactics into the whole equation. Sure, a bunch of infantrymen going for a beeline after a horsearcher are gonna get shot up, but unmounted archers can easily pick them off provided they have a good position and/or protection from infantry. The mongols dominated the battlefield because nobody could catch up to them. Then people realized they could force the horse archer to become a sitting duck by harassing them with foot archers that were impossible to fire upon due to pikemen and/or shielded infantry. Foot archers can hit horse archers at a much greater range, and the horse archer could not approach the archer due to defensive, stationary infantry.
I agree a nerf needs to be put in place, but I think some players are getting mad because their tactics against foot archers don't work on mounted archers due to their mobility.

I think the range of archery on a horse needs to be reduced, and mobility on horseback too, along with perhaps adding a decrease to speed/maneuv. on horseback depending on the equipment load of the rider.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #262 on: July 21, 2014, 01:14:24 pm »
+2
I think HAs shouldn't be nerfed in a way that will give them less damage, or less choice in horses, but by giving them some kind of counter, as stated above, if it takes a HA 20 arrows to kill you, he will be just as annoying and get his points in a way just as unfair, people would indeed not play the class as much but the point of a Nerf should be to annihilate a class, but to put it in a fair position in the game. To do that a counter should be implemented, now the question is how...

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #263 on: July 21, 2014, 02:00:22 pm »
+3
You also gotta take into account actual medieval tactics into the whole equation. Sure, a bunch of infantrymen going for a beeline after a horsearcher are gonna get shot up, but unmounted archers can easily pick them off provided they have a good position and/or protection from infantry. The mongols dominated the battlefield because nobody could catch up to them. Then people realized they could force the horse archer to become a sitting duck by harassing them with foot archers that were impossible to fire upon due to pikemen and/or shielded infantry. Foot archers can hit horse archers at a much greater range, and the horse archer could not approach the archer due to defensive, stationary infantry.
I agree a nerf needs to be put in place, but I think some players are getting mad because their tactics against foot archers don't work on mounted archers due to their mobility.

I think the range of archery on a horse needs to be reduced, and mobility on horseback too, along with perhaps adding a decrease to speed/maneuv. on horseback depending on the equipment load of the rider.

Afaik no one ever really beat the mongols. Remember, they could always choose where to do battle, just like in c-rpg. They returned home by themselves when their leader died. The only battle I could dig up where they were properly beaten were by Mamluks in the middle east were they tricked the mongol force into the mountains and ambushed them..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ain_Jalut

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:06:49 pm by Thomek »

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #264 on: July 21, 2014, 02:03:53 pm »
+2
Accuracy nurfed today. 'Tis can be a gud day.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #265 on: July 21, 2014, 02:08:35 pm »
+2
Afaik no one ever really beat the mongols. Remember, they could always choose where to do battle, just like in c-rpg. They returned home by themselves when their leader died. The only battle I could dig up where they were properly beaten were by Mamluks in the middle east were they tricked the mongol force into the mountains and ambushed them..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ain_Jalut

Cool article hmm wasnt there a fellow crpg-er named baybars?
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 21, 2014, 02:11:56 pm »
How I see it, HA isnt going to be removed from cRPG for obvious reasons, so we have to deal with them with what we can: teamplay - awareness - targeting.

Now, and I say this despite the fact I love horse archery and nomadic cultures linked to it, in the future donkey team game, they have two possibilities on the matter:

- tweak horse ranged so that it is more manageable by other classes, if not =>
=> remove most horse ranged classes, give room to only "european" classes

But doing this in a on-going game, with a bunch of nomadic items/weapons/skills available, would be too aggravating. Or would require extremely handsome compensation.

(click to show/hide)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #267 on: July 21, 2014, 04:44:07 pm »
+1
Just make the horses much less maneuverable when you're aiming a bow or crossbow.  (Or stop running around by yourself without any foot ranged support  :twisted: )

- Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #268 on: July 21, 2014, 06:19:05 pm »
+1
The nerf has made my 18/24 HA less accurate, but it's still too strong imo. Wearing heavier armor has a bigger difference in accuracy now, but I still prefer to not die to a few arrows, so I roll with medium armor and heavy horse and try to hunt enemy HA/Cav in the beginning and bumpshoot infantry/archers in the end. It's not as bad as it was, but still lacking actual counters.

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #269 on: July 21, 2014, 06:48:20 pm »
+5
fun fact: if you read Macropus backwards it actually makes no sense