Poll

Does horse archery require a nerf?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Horse archery is too strong  (Read 29348 times)

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
Re: Horse archery is too strong
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2014, 01:39:22 pm »
+1
Got halfway through the thread and got bored but here's my take on the situation.

When you're combining the mobility of a horse with the range and fire rate of an archer you're always going to have issues. Horse crossbowmen are a similar issue but because their reloading takes a lot longer you can escape to cover much easier whereas a horse archer can continue to pursue you forever. The smaller bows dont hurt so much but the yumi especially hurts a lot, I get 2 shot by it in a kaftan and 3 shot in my +3 leather over mail which is comparible to rus or long bow damage and even heavy crossbow. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if they didn't shoot so much which is solved by either reducing ammo counts for quivers which I think is the best choice or lowering the fire rate which wouldn't change all that much.

I think lowering the ammo available to archers would solve many issues in the game right now. Horse archers wouldn't be as effective for obvious reasons buy I think it's a suitable need for foot archers too, having to pick shots better rather than peppering you relentlessly with the smaller bows, it would also nerf kiting because eventually archers would need to salvage ammo bringing them closer to the fight.

Especially when you consider ammo counts were buffed when we had 150+ players on and now we're getting half that or less, the individual arrow becomes less valuable.

Crossbows have their reloading time, melee have block mistakes, cavalry have dehorsing, archers need something too and I think less ammo is the right option.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2014, 02:14:43 pm »
Could it be you guys run around in twat armor? I have never ever been hit a horse archer and said, "Oww that hurt!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2014, 02:19:02 pm »
As far as I've seen, the only horse archers that seem to be OP are the ones using Yumi, and I believe that's the main problem.
Normal HA has its niche: hunting archers and light horses, supporting your teammates with bumps and distracting enemies, while doing very little damage to actually armored characters.
Things change dramatically, however, when they get a good damage potential with 6 PD and Yumi bow.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2014, 02:33:09 pm »
Speedbonus

(click to show/hide)

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2014, 02:54:45 pm »
Also if they hunt down guys with the lowest armor wouldnt they do the most damage?

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2014, 03:00:03 pm »
+4
Also if they hunt down guys with the lowest armor wouldnt they do the most damage?

Yeah but not everyone has to turtle up like you to be able to get at least 5 points a round

(click to show/hide)
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline Simon_Belmont

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Belmonts and many Warhammer refferencing names
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2014, 03:25:14 pm »
+1
ok lets make hew thread about archers then. cuz they are top boarding:  nebun,shoko,steevee,bagge...should i continue?
instead of non-stop whining on forum do something on server...take a thrower and deal with it ffs!

Probably because a thrower can't do jack if a ha focuses him.  Example: I was fighting enemies in my spawn when a HA (Niluk, I beleive) showed up on his horse. Everyone was too busy fighting so I didn't have any aid. Niluk bumped around 5 times and got two arrows on me. My only hope would have been picking up a dropped spear but being bumped as I was I couldn't. After bumping me several times I guess he got bored and finished me off. If that's the kind of fun you enjoy then you are a sadist asshole, I don't see why other players should have to deal with that.
You didn't read the fine print on the description of the HA skill. By using ranged on horse you willingly give up your right to empathy, for good reason.
I'm gone for a few months due to work and classes, hoping the mod isn't dead when I come back. Take care, all of you.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2014, 04:00:02 pm »
+1
Yeah but not everyone has to turtle up like you to be able to get at least 5 points a round

(click to show/hide)

And some fucking idiot thought you were serious and gave you a plus 1

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2014, 04:01:05 pm »
Probably because a thrower can't do jack if a ha focuses him.  Example: I was fighting enemies in my spawn when a HA (Niluk, I beleive) showed up on his horse. Everyone was too busy fighting so I didn't have any aid. Niluk bumped around 5 times and got two arrows on me. My only hope would have been picking up a dropped spear but being bumped as I was I couldn't. After bumping me several times I guess he got bored and finished me off. If that's the kind of fun you enjoy then you are a sadist asshole, I don't see why other players should have to deal with that.

Throwing is a fucking joke. Who cares what you dealwith pissant.

Offline Arthur_

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 557
  • Infamy: 148
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Arthur
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2014, 04:09:47 pm »
just been on eu1.. +3 plated charger and tincan armor with shield and couldnt do a shit. Constantly getting raped by HAs (like 4-5 of them in 1 team gg ).. please ruin all the fun more

Jackie who?

Offline Simon_Belmont

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Belmonts and many Warhammer refferencing names
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2014, 04:19:45 pm »
+1
Throwing is a fucking joke. Who cares what you dealwith pissant.

Whatever you say, cool guy. You sure got me there. Nice grammar, by the way.
You didn't read the fine print on the description of the HA skill. By using ranged on horse you willingly give up your right to empathy, for good reason.
I'm gone for a few months due to work and classes, hoping the mod isn't dead when I come back. Take care, all of you.

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2014, 04:45:11 pm »
Archery is dumb in this game. Horse archery is just dumb on a horse. The problem is how this game manages the whole ranged thing. Arrows in this game fly for too long and too flat. You have to give a really big angle in a real life bow to hit anything past 10 meters, In this game the arrow is almost in a flat trayectory for most of its travel, that makes it unrealisitc and to easy to aim and hit.
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2014, 04:48:34 pm »
Wouldnt be any issues if there was some kind of class balance. The problem is not the range class(es) itself but the sheer amount of them.

Why do we have fire-arms today? Evolution. Range is the most effective/low risk/low cost weapon/inf. unit.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2014, 04:55:01 pm »
Archery is dumb in this game. Horse archery is just dumb on a horse. The problem is how this game manages the whole ranged thing. Arrows in this game fly for too long and too flat. You have to give a really big angle in a real life bow to hit anything past 10 meters, In this game the arrow is almost in a flat trayectory for most of its travel, that makes it unrealisitc and to easy to aim and hit.
This seems pretty true. Sometimes I get the impression that throwing behaves more like archery should than archery itself.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2014, 04:59:22 pm »
Wouldnt be any issues if there was some kind of class balance. The problem is not the range class(es) itself but the sheer amount of them.

Why do we have fire-arms today? Evolution. Range is the most effective/low risk/low cost weapon/inf. unit.
Do you realize archery was with the mankind since basically "always"?. In war conflicts, the bow wasnt the best method to fight. It wasnt as effective. That is why mankind actually started using close range weapons. Bows werent enough to kill other persons so they invented melee weapons and got closer. The fact melee weapons outclassed ranged weapons in the prehistory, that tells you that archer never been the most effective way to kill a person in a conflict. And please, dont compare rifles to bows coz that is  very silly. Ranged is the safest, not always the most effective. Dont confuse things. IF it was so effective, people could have used bows as we use rifles today, as a main weapon for everyone.
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"