Author Topic: Strat Disparity: What Killed Strat.  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
Re: Strat Disparity: What Killed Strat.
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2014, 12:09:31 am »
+1
Well, forgot to mention Anders in that bottom part, but I guess one can figure that we cannot expect big fights from him in near future either :) But hopefully at some point :D

I'm just the only Astralis guy who's a forum warrior. The rest just hide.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2014, 12:13:36 am »
+8
People seem to think I am talking out my ass when I bash arowaine, but I am actually speaking as someone that has grown more and more disappointed by him the longer I have know and worked with him. He spent nearly all of strat 4 either running away or stabbing people that were to weak to mount any reasonable resistance.  Bonsai is the only reason LCO really did anything of note in strat 4 at all, he was the driving force behind keeping LCO alive in the days of the siege, and he continually provided amazing logistical and trade support for LCO once VE caved. To my knowledge bonsai is not actively participating in the leadership of LCO this strat (whereas arowaine is) , and they have in fact, done nothing of note.

Haha what? I don't remember you doing a thing in Strat 4 except being a sub par performer in battles, unfunny comments in chat, and that's probably it to be honest. Have you ever led a strat faction? Its so shitty. You have to really like the people you are playing with to actually act in a remotely cohesive matter and maintain the resources and organization to do anything more than a couple weeks of a "campaign" every few months. Even that ends up becoming exhausting and unfun at times. I fought in dozens and dozens of Occitan strat battles last strat, enjoyed them all, war with TKoV was great, I was friendly with both sides but allied with Occitan, everyone got along, primetime battles on weekends and sometimes during the week.. really great jobs by both factions. And Hero Party + Occitan were pretty terrified of a horde of TKoV + FCC shit wiping us out of the game and made us turtle (while still sending out armies to new clans to get into war with because we figured it was us vs the entire map so why not), because Veluca Empire was massive, and FCC had Kesh's multiaccounts (and the most seasoned Strat dot movers in any clan) causing logistic nightmares wherever they showed up. Occitan was actually wiped out of EU (despite being allied to the apparently invincible game ruining UIF slav horde) and I got them hooked up to restart their organization in NA by proudly wiping out the last LLJK heretics who were pretenders to the desert in BIRD clan, to cement my claim to Afghoonistan. All of that shit was pretty awesome.

Thing is behind the scenes there you have both sides being forced to sperg on pulling gear out, deleting duplicates, avoiding item bombs, roster role calls, upkeep gold, resupplies, not getting ganked, begging for mercs, yelling at clan members for nighttime, the Diplomacy forums, and in most cases an ever posting Kesh being hyper critical of everything you say or do (which is admittedly hilarious). You get a couple hours of fun out of Strat battles, which when done well are really brilliant and imo the biggest accomplishment of the cRPG devs, and some of the best gameplay I've had in any game. But there is SO MUCH shit required to get it going, its exhausting, and now we see Strat is dying for NA and dead on EU and a wipe or reboot won't change anything without a major mechanics overhaul. People are sick of the bs.

It is so wrong to blame the players of the game, when obviously many of us really try to have the most fun we can out of it. I've worked with Occitan (later LCO) which was never just Arowaine mind you, through almost all of Strat 4, along with many other factions. Its all collective efforts to have fun, plot stupid shit, and get enough people in a faction motivated enough by the Sweet Battles and Teamspeak/forum rage. I was a faction leader in Strat 3 and 4, and both times I got completely burnt out halfway, cuz its so shit. Only reason to put up with it is for the fun battles and the sense of teamwork you get out of the Metagame with clans and players you get along with.

Also why the rage against DRZ and Grey is so misguided.. two clans filled with people who obviously like each other, share a teamspeak, have basically a "game community" where they play tons of other games too, and have fun doing all the stupid Strat shit together. Only reason their alliance is so tight is cuz they are friendly, and the sheer bullshit and annoyances of almost all Strat mechanics makes it so you really have to fucking hate the people you are fighting to make it feel worthwhile, or have gimmick token XP battles that don't have the drama and flair of a proper sandbox MMO type campaign that Strategus is at its best.

What the devs should probably focus most on is seeing all the ways Strat has failed, while we should also focus on reminding them all the ways it has been (and maybe could still be) successful, and maybe they can hit something special in a few years with Melee: Epic (lmao what a shit name if thats still it) the Strategus part of Melee: Battlegrounds. There's a lot to like, but the economy system and interface management would be the first (and probably most important) part to take a long hard look at. I'd go so far as suggesting for Strat 6 (if it happens) you should remove most of it, and basically start over adding and tuning crap so the community can give feedback before too much interconnected shit is added that makes the whole damn game terrible. Perhaps some Strat 2 code is around somewhere..

Haha I forgot why I started writing this but oh yeah. You suck Sparvico, for a name I see often enough you are remarkably unmemorable. Arowaine was a great Strat buddy and Occitan was always a sure bet as friend or foe to actually do shit, win or lose. Restocking and defending castles for weeks straight isn't the fucking AFK joke in Strat that people like Kesh make it out to be, and they know it. But I don't think you know a thing about playing Strat. Cuz if you did, maybe you wouldn't be retarded enough to post anything but "Strat is a bad game." in this thread.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2014, 12:31:24 am »
+3
thank god smoothrich posted time to read it all, already pre-upvoted

edit: halfway through now, get fucking told sparvico, hes fucking right

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2014, 01:00:25 am »
+2
(click to show/hide)

Pretty much nailed it. 10/10

I say the Squids, Astralis, and Frisia should have peace talks. Then we can expand your empires 10 fold.

Nah, fuck that.

Besides, you're quite literally the only active people on the map to be enemies with. It's not like you couldn't have come and wiped our pathetic shit-stain of tamnuh out yet, but still, I ain't ready to shack up with you. I need an FCC to be opposed to, damnit, and you're the logical successor.

Also I'd be lying if I said I'm not still bitter about being sneak-attacked at New Ismirala in the middle of another conflict, with the battle being at a less-than-ideal time for us, but a perfectly ideal time for the Fallen archer crew to back you up, outnumbering us by 13 mercs.

inb4 mad cuz bad, already know that
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:03:59 am by Sandersson Jankins »

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2014, 05:38:08 am »
I'm just the only Astralis guy who's a forum warrior. The rest just hide.

You forgot Balikar.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2014, 06:51:37 am »
Here's a little thing I do.  I raise an army, destroy it, then raise another.  It keeps the game interesting for me.

I will admit half my strat playing clan (Dirk*) sometimes reinforces me, and Acre has run troops and gear to me a couple times when I bit off more than I can chew.  It is annoying having to trade for 2-3 weeks before you can attack, but when I get frustrated by that, I just look at my two and a half million points of renown and stroke myself.

I think this game needs more 'freebooters'.  Independent guys who pick a side but have no obligations to the overall faction strategy, and just bomb around looking for opportunities.  And guys who want to do that should join the Displaced Knights and Second Sons.  Cuz the way we play, in the here and now, is way more fun than worrying about the future.

*Of course Dirk has commanded several battles himself as well

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • Renown: 914
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UIF
  • Game nicks: Harpag_the_Grey
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2014, 10:34:13 am »
+1
druzinha / grey order ruined EU strat for everyone else

as the 2 only large, efficient active factions on the map they refused to fight each other

twats

Bullshit. Morons who can't get their shit together ruined Strat.

+1

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2014, 02:12:36 pm »
+2
Would be true, if you WERE fighting someone on EU, but EU said FUCK OFF. So you're fighting "yourselves." You killed strat just as much as everything else has. I mean come on, how is it fun to have to fight the SAME PEOPLE for 3 years. Not only that, but you take the same fiefs every time. That's not fun, that's just min-max no think, drone BS.

It's funny how you Insult people and call them out as idiots or otherwise. Only someone who cannot truly think up an argument goes this route. It's just UN-FUN to do the same thing 3 years in a row. Imagine being a peasent and fighting a plate knight for 3 years straight, never getting off of level 1. That's what you guys do. You don't change anything: Army composition, fief location, enemies. It's clearly not working for anyone, but you continue to push it. Why don't you take the north and start their for once? That'd be something different. Is it so hard to think of something new?

Offline Balikar

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moonshine, Cruxton
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2014, 03:35:51 pm »
You forgot Balikar.

Love the assumption, but you know what they say about those who assume...

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2014, 04:01:40 pm »
+2
Love the assumption, but you know what they say about those who assume...

They're usually right?

We get it Moonshine, you're a shitty player and shitty poster.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2014, 06:56:03 pm »
+2
did arowaine just completely melt down when tasked with taking a risk. That is awesome. Hahahaha.

With that being said superfriends have a few thousand troops with gear anyone interested in a field battle? I would like to fight a couple where I am not climbing up a ladder into the ranged rain of death and also where I am not standing behind a wall bored to tears watching the ranged rain of death fall on the enemy.

No he's been sick IRL for the past couple weeks and hasn't been able to keep what little coordination of the faction in place.  He had to personally step aside.  There's still plenty of other active people in LCOH to keep things moving. 

I've been unable to actually play in strat battles or NA1 for the most part, so I just move a guy around the map for some ungodly reason since the start.  I think a combination of double xp in NA1, less people playing CRPG overall, AI fiefs and increased costs of all items is what really hit strat the hardest.  I think strat being pretty dead overall (even though clans are still doing stuff) is the reason why a lot of factions haven't put in the coordinated effort it takes to start and sustain a war effort, they're just going through the motions (i.e. basically fucking off with strat and doing something more useful/rewarding with their time). 

*EDIT* just read smoothdicks post on the last page and he nails it on the head.  organized strat battles are the most fun I've ever had in a Warband game or mod (including c-rpg).  But it takes so much effort (in strat 4 no less) for so little reward. You're talking dozens of man hours to get an army equipped and ready to fight for at most 2 hours of fighting.  And strat 5 makes it all that much harder with the equipment costs (and a lot less players, or at least seasoned players who got burned out). 

The Devs should really make it easier to coordinate and engage in large 1.5 to 2 hour battles and strat would be alive again pretty much overnight. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:01:33 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2014, 08:45:43 pm »
No he's been sick IRL for the past couple weeks and hasn't been able to keep what little coordination of the faction in place.  He had to personally step aside.  There's still plenty of other active people in LCOH to keep things moving. 

You're talking dozens of man hours to get an army equipped and ready to fight for at most 2 hours of fighting. 

So Arowaine pulling a soccer move "Oh, I took an arrow to the knee" for why occitan hasn't done anything last 2 weeks, but to be fair its exactly the same as the previous 30 weeks.  And dozens is a pretty gross exaggeration.  Set a path buy, set a path sell, 10 minutes each, repeat 2-3 times, then buy in main fief gear you want and transfer gear and troops to one guy - set path to attack. Done.  Basically a series of 5-10 minutes checks of the strat map at different times while alt-tabbing from battle server. 1-1.5 hours.

And with Occitan, mb even easier because gear from ai fiefs already theirs for thousands of troops - so all of 20 minutes transfer gear from dhirim to a player and the troops and then set path to attack.  Can have 3 field armies ready in under an hour.

Hell just use the ai gear to give xp battles - just do something with it as the largest factions on the map.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2014, 09:49:27 pm »
+4
So Arowaine pulling a soccer move "Oh, I took an arrow to the knee"

jesus christ you are the cancer killing video games

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 400
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2014, 10:25:49 pm »
+1
jesus christ you are the cancer killing video games

pff video games suck, they for nerds...this is war, and i enjoy watching Tradeowhine get Kesh'ed on.

I say Arow gives all his strat fiefs and resources to Kesh, or anyone else that will actually do something with it. Then we see whos the real cancer killin fgt
I REMEMBER PLAYING IN RAIN
THROUGH THE NIGHTFALL WITH FOG
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
BUT IM MORE HORRIFIED OF A MOD
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE

Offline GRANDMOM

• Marshall
  • Renown: 920
  • Infamy: 140
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GRANDMOM
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2014, 12:23:10 am »

"though KU is striking back to retake their lost fief."

Yep, the useless EU scum tries to regain the fief and cut the head of the reinforcing enemy armies - we could use some more help, not with troops, gear or gold - but a bit more rostersupport would be nice

http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=strategusbattlesupcoming#!?page=strategusinfobattledetail&id=1626

http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=strategusbattlesupcoming#!?page=strategusinfobattledetail&id=1629

Also, I can say and those that know us would agree, battles are something we usually tend fall upon....alot

We're working on something cooler than a blog.