28 (24.8%)
keybord
4 (3.5%)
normal and inverted
5 (4.4%)
other(potato)
5 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: Inverted attacks vs attack with mouse direction m... NOW WITH POLL!!!!  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
+1
cmp actually added an option in WSE 2.0 to use normal on horseback and inverted as infantry when someone asked him about it. Its what I used.

Nice, wasn't there when I tried it. Maybe I'll give it another shot when I start playing more again.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
What. My entire point is that a preference for in what direction you are moving your hand to control a mechanical device to control a virtual character on a screen is so far from any natural situation that a natural preference is most likely bullshit, which I literally stated. Which gender you find sexually attractive is at the complete other end and is a very natural situation, for which I believe natural preferences do exist. I don't understand your point really.
he just trying to provoke you and turn that topick to some retard fest

like always anyway
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
If i take my example, when i installed the demo at the very begining, its the first thing i changed with the graphical options....
And as Herezy said, I almost immediately switched from normal to inverted because it just feels more intuitive. I think I did that as soon as I played the tutorial, when I was playing around with options.
This.

And Cicero, keyboard blocking is good for your playstyle, but that's basically it. When you move and then block (=move in other direction for a milisecond in your case) you lose speed, and while it might be not important for you as you have low athletics and heavy armour which makes you slow anyway, any more agi-oriented build would suffer more from this, resulting in reduced maneuverability during the fight. So yes, keyboard blocking isn't really viable for most builds.

About inverted attacks, I think the only reason it's effective is because it's rare, as Teeth said.
And the "it makes you hit faster because you turn your camera into your hit" point isn't really sufficient because the time you need to adjust your camera is so tiny compared to the delay your hit has because of the ping (around 40-60). Using inverted from the very start of playing this game, I sometimes end up doing "inverted inverted" attack, for example: doing the left-to-right swing, I move my mouse to the right for the game to register the hit direction, then move my mouse far left and then as the swing animation begins I turn into my swing to the right again - all of this without really hitting any slower overall.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:27:25 pm by Macropus »

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
+4
I switched to inverted almost a year ago simply becuase it was fun. Almost felt like learning how to play the game again (dem nostalgia feels).

From what I've gathered (and some people already pointed out):

Better cohesion and fluency between movement and swings
Weird/intuitive feints (people get used to it eventually though, but still comes handy since most people use non-inverted attacks)
Slightly faster swings since you turn more naturally into swings-> faster spam but more prone to glance or bad hits if you overcommit your turning/movement and hit too early in the animation
Slighty worse worse control over my swings and not as precise as opposed to non-inverted
Harder to chamber in some cases, less consistency
1h cav is awkward as hell, but then again I didnt try much becuase I'm too manly for cav

Overall I like using inverted becuase movement feels more fluent. Anyone who wants a fresh experience should try it.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
I switched from inverted around 3(?) years ago.

I first decided to use inverted when I started playing because it was easier for me to aim my overhead when I could see the enemy from above also when I wanted to hit left I had to simply move my mouse to the left. Felt simple for me. Then I switched to non-inverted and dunno what to think about it :S

Skyrim UI

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
+1
When I got bored with the game I switched to inverted mouse movements - after 3 years of playing with default settings. It took me few weeks to adjust myself to inverted attacks but after that I found it as natural as non inverted. Thanks to faster swings inverted attacks seem to be superior in duels, but in group fights I definitely preferred non inverted.

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Herezy
+1
I switched to inverted almost a year ago simply becuase it was fun. Almost felt like learning how to play the game again (dem nostalgia feels).

From what I've gathered (and some people already pointed out):

Better cohesion and fluency between movement and swings
Weird/intuitive feints (people get used to it eventually though, but still comes handy since most people use non-inverted attacks)
Slightly faster swings since you turn more naturally into swings-> faster spam but more prone to glance or bad hits if you overcommit your turning/movement and hit too early in the animation
Slighty worse worse control over my swings and not as precise as opposed to non-inverted
Harder to chamber in some cases, less consistency
1h cav is awkward as hell, but then again I didnt try much becuase I'm too manly for cav

Overall I like using inverted becuase movement feels more fluent. Anyone who wants a fresh experience should try it.
This !

PS: @Lezard, i clicked on your pic, it was too much tempting  :D

Offline Cicero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 418
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • scourge of god
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: BashiBazouks_Cicero
  • IRC nick: Cicero
And Cicero, keyboard blocking is good for your playstyle, but that's basically it. When you move and then block (=move in other direction for a milisecond in your case) you lose speed, and while it might be not important for you as you have low athletics and heavy armour which makes you slow anyway, any more agi-oriented build would suffer more from this, resulting in reduced maneuverability during the fight. So yes, keyboard blocking isn't really viable for most builds.
I don't heavy build anymore.

Please try to play with keyboard ; you will see that instead of losing speed you are gaining speed but i am talking about swing speed as well.

I tried it many times ; i can make footworks better than a agiwhore.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
    • View Profile
+4
I play with normal attacks but inverted Y axis. Beat that!  :D

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
+1

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
    • View Profile
 :D I'm serious. I tried that back with Quake 2 many years ago, got used to it, and now I can't play with normal Y axis settings.

I tried the horizontal inverted swings and they felt weird. Plus I guess that normal ones should be better for held-attack-circling.

Offline Donkey_Thrower

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Official Master of Donkey Throwing
    • View Profile
    • Donkey Facts!
  • Faction: Donkey Trap All Stars/Federal Burro of Information
  • Game nicks: Donkey_Thrower, Donker, DonkStar_Donkey_Thrower
  • IRC nick: Donkey_Thrower

such a good show.

Donkey thrower official Master of Donkey Throwing.
Support Donkey Armor!!! http://forum.melee.org/suggestions-corner/plated-donkey/

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
Is it even possible ? If only I knew this earlier, thanks mate!

EDIT: fuck, not exactly what I was looking for. I thought that it was like inverted attacks but only Y axis and it turned out to be just a camera mindfuck not attack direction choice-making-sheit
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:17:20 pm by BlueKnight »

Skyrim UI

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
You need to play on a low skill server, like NA siege, or EU 1, 2, 3, and 4. When the people you are fighting have no idea how to position themselves or block, you can pretty much flail around until things start connecting.

I completely lost track of my camera, so I got mad cuz bad, and rage reverted back again.

I only play eu2 already, cause thats where i can blind charge the enemy, and cause bad thus get mad on eu1
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline kono yaro!

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: b0nk
+1
Inverted attacks, normal blocking. It makes sense to me because with inverted attacks you are turning in the direction the weapon will go.