28 (24.8%)
keybord
4 (3.5%)
normal and inverted
5 (4.4%)
other(potato)
5 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: Inverted attacks vs attack with mouse direction m... NOW WITH POLL!!!!  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Herezy
Implying that there is a natural preference for something artificial like selecting attacks in a video-game, which I hardly find a feasible thought.
Why do we have right-handed or left-handed?
Why do we have different eye-director (cf : The army when you aim with a weapon/ or pratice with a bow)
Why these people do not use the same part in of their brain for the same problem?
The brain spatial logic is too abstract and too complicated (yet) to explain why some prefers inverted & some not.

it is probably because you had some experience with some type of video game action that had trained you in inverted beforehand.
Yes, this is certainly true.
But since i play video games, in all my games (with the 3D), i always changed it. to inverted. why? dunno...
Normally, if you are a virgin of something, you can't prefer the choice n°1 or n°2.
So i understand your point Teeth, really.
(click to show/hide)
Edit: and i have to say that the M&B likes are few, and i never played to another game where you control your weapons like this.

More seriously, i'll try to explain you my logic : which is much more "logic" and "realistic" in the fight.
What i mean is :
If i want that my poleaxe goes to the left, then, for me, my hand needs to go to the left (like if i was currently carrying the weapon)

And i still believe that, if at start of the game, the settings were in inverted, few one would have been disturb as well.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 04:07:26 pm by Herezy92 »

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
real men are straight guise, do not use these petty tools to win
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Give them run?

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
Give them run?

(click to show/hide)

He just wanted to use that gif he found.
(click to show/hide)

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Herezy
He just wanted to use that gif he found.
(click to show/hide)
YES, but what a gif !  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
and by the way, i think you did  the same  :lol:

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
YES, but what a gif !  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
and by the way, i think you did  the same  :lol:

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
What Teeth said.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
+2
I use normal blocks and inverted attacks. This makes the process of blocking and attacking in the same direction very fluid. And as Herezy said, I almost immediately switched from normal to inverted because it just feels more intuitive. I think I did that as soon as I played the tutorial, when I was playing around with options. I don't even know if inverted blocking exists, it surely doesn't make any sense to me.

Neither does keyboard blocking by the way. To be honest it sounds like losing a lot of fine control over your actions for very little additional precision. Add to that the cognitive dissonance of having to coordinate a single action using two hands instead of one. If you use mouse blocks and attacks and keyboard movement, it keeps lower body isolated on the keyboard and upper body functions isolated on the mouse, which makes things much easier to coordinate.

However I have a hard time telling who uses inverted or normal attacks, or even keyboard controls.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:24:52 pm by Kafein »

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
Implying that there is a natural preference for something artificial like selecting attacks in a video-game, which I hardly find a feasible thought.

Haha, the rest of your post is fine, but what the hell is this. Do you feel the same way about homosexuality?
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
+1
I tried to switch but to no avail. Too bloody hard to adjust, so after 10 min I switched back.

I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
+2
I love when I find a playstyle that I enjoy.

It's like

(click to show/hide)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
+1
I tried to switch but to no avail. Too bloody hard to adjust, so after 10 min I switched back.

You need to play on a low skill server, like NA siege, or EU 1, 2, 3, and 4. When the people you are fighting have no idea how to position themselves or block, you can pretty much flail around until things start connecting.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
+3
I tried adjusting over to inverted because of Lezard's pr0 feints. Did adjust quite well, but a few days later when I played slashing cav I decided to not go through with it. I liked it as infantry, even though chambers were very weird at first, but being 1h cav or 2h cav with inverted was absolutely awful.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Haha, the rest of your post is fine, but what the hell is this. Do you feel the same way about homosexuality?
What. My entire point is that a preference for in what direction you are moving your hand to control a mechanical device to control a virtual character on a screen is so far from any natural situation that a natural preference is most likely bullshit, which I literally stated. Which gender you find sexually attractive is at the complete other end and is a very natural situation, for which I believe natural preferences do exist. I don't understand your point really.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
+2
I tried adjusting over to inverted because of Lezard's pr0 feints. Did adjust quite well, but a few days later when I played slashing cav I decided to not go through with it. I liked it as infantry, even though chambers were very weird at first, but being 1h cav or 2h cav with inverted was absolutely awful.

cmp actually added an option in WSE 2.0 to use normal on horseback and inverted as infantry when someone asked him about it. Its what I used.