Author Topic: Does Melee: Battlegrounds have Esports potential?  (Read 5135 times)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
Re: Does Melee: Battlegrounds have Esports potential?
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2014, 08:51:14 pm »
+1
Maybe to some, but that's certainly not how it's being used in this thread and I wouldn't say it's proper use of the term. Generally people are talking about the "scene" and whether or not one exists. It's the difference between pub play, and organized play, generally in the form of tournaments/matches.

Native warband has a very busy organised competitive scene. I see no reason why Melee couldn't have the same UNLESS the epic part takes as much time as strat. If epic takes a lot of effort and some no lifing then you can kiss any kind of tournaments and leagues goodbye just like strat killed them in crpg (Casual players don't run and organize the leagues etc so if all the people who put time into the game play epic then you might get a couple of duel tournaments or stuff now and then)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:58:57 pm by Osiris »
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Life

• Marshall
  • Renown: 763
  • Infamy: 281
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mod is dead.
  • Game nicks: Assassin_Life, Efil, iK_Life
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2014, 02:04:19 am »
+1
Not being snarky (for once), genuinely never heard of e-sports till this thread lol, i'm a poor excuse of a geek...

Had no idea people played games for money like that
Koreans don't play starcraft 24/7 for no reason  :D
Assassin Video
My custom crosshair
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2014, 11:21:38 pm »
 used the word "potential"? All of those three things can only happen after open beta.

Yea sure potential... All the E sports today had a following before they came out i.e. Starcraft, CoD,  Dota,  etc.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2014, 01:39:47 am »
+1
Yea sure potential... All the E sports today had a following before they came out i.e. Starcraft, CoD,  Dota,  etc.
Their original games didn't. Furthermore, that's only a fraction of the actual e-sports scene. Just because something isn't an MLG featured game, doesn't mean it lacks a competitive scene.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2014, 04:49:44 pm »
+1
Hello Kitty Island Adventure E sports Tournament

The world's most competitive MLG circuit announces it's 1st annual HKIA Tournament. Compete against the world's best Kitties for the grand prize of $5!!! Contestants must sign up at nobodygivesashit.com before June 8th. 

Brought to you by the world of E sports

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2014, 10:42:28 pm »
Hello Kitty Island Adventure E sports Tournament

The world's most competitive MLG circuit announces it's 1st annual HKIA Tournament. Compete against the world's best Kitties for the grand prize of $5!!! Contestants must sign up at nobodygivesashit.com before June 8th. 

Brought to you by the world of E sports
I can't tell if your sarcasm is in support of what I said, or in response to. In the event that it's in response to my previous statements, check the spoiler.

(click to show/hide)

Edit: Piece of shit "Toggle View" button fucking up my post.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:58:48 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2014, 11:05:25 pm »
I can't tell if your sarcasm is in support of what I said, or in response to. In the event that it's in response to my previous statements, check the spoiler.

(click to show/hide)

Edit: Piece of shit "Toggle View" button fucking up my post.

Well he forgot the biggest e-sport aswell, so im not quite sure what he is getting at.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2014, 11:19:25 pm »
+2
'Take too seriously, obsessed with performance and K/D'
That is e-peen, not e-sport, we need a global k/d leaderboard for a proper e-peen scene in cRPG.

Offline Viktarion

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • What we do in life echoes in eternity
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Viktarion
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2014, 01:42:19 am »
+5
Problem with lot of people playing M&B is that game is much harder then most popular games. When someone tries it it is very hard to make them stay for a while until they learn at least something so they can do anything in game at all.
 Maybe it could work if you design like few levels or something where people who registered in like last month only play against people who registered in last month or something like that(i know it's easier said then done and all that, just something where they don't just jump into playing all veteran players and they lose all interest in game because they feel totally useless, i am not really creative person so don't really know what should be, but something to help them stay like for first few weeks) because how it is now, it is very hard to make people stay to play when they can't do anything at all unless they play game a lot for quite some time.
I am still pretty new and i played for a while and even i still feel pretty useless but it is even worse for new people, i persuaded few friends to try game, but they just quit it after few hours even tho i was telling them that if they stick around they'll really love it etc, nothing help there.
So point is idea is really great, that would be so awesome to do, but to have any chance of success i really think need to do something to make a lot easier for people who didn't play this kind of games, because that can only work if lot of people play it and that will be hard to manage with current state of things.
Would you believe?

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2014, 05:39:22 pm »
Problem with lot of people playing M&B is that game is much harder then most popular games. When someone tries it it is very hard to make them stay for a while until they learn at least something so they can do anything in game at all.
 Maybe it could work if you design like few levels or something where people who registered in like last month only play against people who registered in last month or something like that(i know it's easier said then done and all that, just something where they don't just jump into playing all veteran players and they lose all interest in game because they feel totally useless, i am not really creative person so don't really know what should be, but something to help them stay like for first few weeks) because how it is now, it is very hard to make people stay to play when they can't do anything at all unless they play game a lot for quite some time.
I am still pretty new and i played for a while and even i still feel pretty useless but it is even worse for new people, i persuaded few friends to try game, but they just quit it after few hours even tho i was telling them that if they stick around they'll really love it etc, nothing help there.
So point is idea is really great, that would be so awesome to do, but to have any chance of success i really think need to do something to make a lot easier for people who didn't play this kind of games, because that can only work if lot of people play it and that will be hard to manage with current state of things.

That's part of the concerns for MELEE too, don't think of melee as a cRPG clone, instead think of it as the spiritual successor, whereas the new product will not only revolutionize the system it will be an evolution too.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2014, 06:17:10 pm »

MOBAs have a much higher barrier to entry than Warband, given that the complete rules of any popular MOBA would fill a small book. And yet MOBAs are extremely popular e-sport games with a durable influx of noobs.