Author Topic: Does Melee: Battlegrounds have Esports potential?  (Read 5137 times)

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
Re: Does Melee: Battlegrounds have Esports potential?
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2014, 05:36:40 am »
I just fear that M:BG will be like Chivalry.
Both have similar stories. Once a mod, became a game.

I'll surely buy M:BG but not sure if Im gonna play it more than a month. Even if the game becomes a terrible mess I would buy it just to thank this dev team for stealing my life for 4 years the joy they brang me for 4 years without asking for a single coin.

To be honest there is no multiplayer only game that i regularly play. I don't know how you make animations of M:BG, don't think you have a motion capture studio or you have funds to use someone's motion capture studio and since animation is the most important part of this kinda game, I sadly think that M:BG will fail.

But on the other hand, you guys are great developers. With cRPG we all saw that if someone gives you wheat, you can make crazy ass cakes by processing it. Just not sure if you can grow your own wheat .

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2014, 06:03:52 am »
+1
I don't know how you make animations of M:BG, don't think you have a motion capture studio or you have funds to use someone's motion capture studio and since animation is the most important part of this kinda game, I sadly think that M:BG will fail.

Animations in last dev's video looks pretty awesome.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2014, 06:19:48 am »
Animations in last dev's video looks pretty awesome.
:O Can I haz a link to it ?

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2014, 06:58:25 am »
Probably not, it's available only for scholars, in closed section of forum.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2014, 07:19:44 am »
+1
Probably not, it's available only for scholars, in closed section of forum.
:( Discriminating people by their education is wrong! What's wrong being a non-scholar peasant !

One day... one day you bundle of well-educated sticks will pay for that !

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2014, 08:17:23 am »
+8
As far as I can tell, the youtube videos are not set to private. So, there doesn't seem to be any reason not to show it...

Here you go, fat Turk! :wink:

(click to show/hide)
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2014, 08:57:08 am »
+1
BAN HE !!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

Thanks Molly  :)

Neat animations btw, gratz, you guys prove me wrong !  :oops: Especially hoplite animations are fucking lovely
I have no idea what this is but I loved it lol
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:01:32 am by HarunYahya »

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2014, 09:38:04 am »
Obviously Ballz!
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline UnholyRolyPoly

• Earl
  • Renown: 348
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2014, 10:42:59 am »
I don't believe it has, even though that would be amazing. I just dont see it collecting a big enough playerbase to actually support a decent competitive scene. I do however believe that the very game, as a concept has potential, because i expect the skill roof to be pretty high.

There is an easy way to give it that kind of player base.....

Gambling....

Implement a REAL gambling system by selling E-Coins for real cash and allow players to gamble on things like duels, scrimmages, tournaments etc etc.  Create a pay only server where players have to buy in to gamble.  You can keep it simple.  Red team vs white team at 2-1 odds.  If you are on red team... and red team wins.... you double your money.  If you are on white team your money goes to red team.  This could carry over to nearly every server.   Battle, Duels, Siege.  It also opens up a whole new range of servers like tournaments where people would watch.... simply to gamble.  That's how you make this game explode.  It's just like Fantasy Baseball in the US.  Gambling draws people in.  Don't SELL items like most online games.  That's fucking lame and kills a player base.  Instead base it on gambling.  The devs can take a small cut of all payouts (say 5%) to help fund better servers and a larger team.  You sell 100 coins for 1$.  Players receive their 100 coins and gamble.  They end up earning 5k coins or whatever.  When they finally decide to cash out..... charge a 5-10% fee for doing so.  Then you automatically fund everything.  The devs are paid for.  The servers are paid for.  And the players are happy because they either made or lost money of their own accord.  They won't feel cheated because they won't be charged a fee.... until they decide to cash out. 

The point is let the players gamble.  The devs sell the E-Coins and the players use them as they see fit.  So it's not a system where the devs set the odds and risk losing a  fortune.  It's a system where all they do is provide the currency.... when it's time to flip the E-Coins into real money.... they get a small cut.  There won't be a single E-Coin in the game that wasn't purchased by players.  Create a wagering interface that allows players to set their own bets etc.  It can be wide open with endless possibilities.

And of course you could keep the current system in place.  Keep the XP and looming system.  Create 2 layers of each server.  Battle (Pay) and Battle (XP) for example.  Players go to the XP server to gain CRPG gold and looms.  Players go to the gambling server.... to gamble using the equipment earned from the XP server.  Keep the marketplace as it is.  Just add in the E-Coins.  Players who don't want to grind XP for looms can buy +3 items FROM other players with E-Coins.  That keeps the devs out of it.  They aren't selling pay to play.  Players are.  This generates a wide dispersal of coins and something for everyone.  Some guys will never touch the Gambling server but grind like hell because they can sell their +3 item (earned from the regular server) for real money.  Some newbie who wants to be good will buy it.  And the market.... sets the price..... not the devs.  Just avoid pay to win.  Nothing can come directly from the devs.  No experience bombs you can buy.  No special items that you can buy from the server.  Make it 100% player based.... and make the money change hands via gambling. 

This is exactly the type of community which would THRIVE on gambling.  It would literally explode.  This game is already highly competitive.  It takes a special kind of fucked up individual to play it for years at a time.  Add gambling and the game would grow.... not shrink.... the devs would have vast financial resources for good servers and better updates.  It could go for years and create an entire new genre of video game.  One you could literally get paid for. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:52:20 am by UnholyRolyPoly »

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2014, 11:08:13 am »
+9
Haha, I must admit that's a new idea  :lol:

Would it work? Probably.

Would it completely ruin the community, draw in the biggest lowlifes, scumbags and cheaters? Definitely.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2014, 11:12:42 am »
+2
Gambling or not, you should have an item shop that uses real money. No better stats on gear though, just for stuff like different cloth dye colours or other cosmetic stuff. Add a chance for the stuff to drop when you get kills and it will be fine, just an extra way to fund the game when its released..if people want to spend money on junk in a game let them as long as it doesn't interfere with gameplay
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Herezy
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2014, 11:18:59 am »
+1
Gambling or not, you should have an item shop that uses real money. No better stats on gear though, just for stuff like different cloth dye colours or other cosmetic stuff. Add a chance for the stuff to drop when you get kills and it will be fine, just an extra way to fund the game when its released..if people want to spend money on junk in a game let them as long as it doesn't interfere with gameplay
This
And as i wrote :
[...]
And By the way ;
If you add an ingame STORE, please, for all the guys who pre-ordered/gave money for the development, make it free, or very very very very small price. (like 75% discount)
For me it would be a fair and respectable present made to the old community who supported/helped you for so many years. :)

Edit: and yes i'm not against a store for style/cosmetic armors. (if something is made for the "first-buyer" + new free contents & updates)

FrenchKiss

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2014, 12:45:28 pm »
Maybe you should allow people to gamble only for cosmetic items.  :lol:

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2014, 12:49:39 pm »
Nah please...
Not in game store...
Make game 100 dollars but promise you won't sell DLC's or in-game store please.
I mean seriously please...

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2014, 12:52:14 pm »
+4
What is wrong with cosmetic microtransactions ?