Author Topic: Does Melee: Battlegrounds have Esports potential?  (Read 5155 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Does Melee: Battlegrounds have Esports potential?
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2014, 04:01:04 pm »
+2
Exposition aside, breathing life into a competitive atmosphere is having some community member semi-official do a lot of groundwork, organizing things for a scene to even rise, much like Captain Lust did in Native, before and after being hired by Taleworlds.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2014, 04:06:56 pm »
+4
Truth to be told, I always hoped that competitions and stuff come from the community, not from us devs. I feel it's a good thing when game development and competition development is completely separated (with bidirectional influences, of course).

However, since that clearly did not work out :wink:, we will take special care of creating a healthy competition system for M:BG. If it's enough for esports, we can't say yet, no one can. We hope it is, of course.

Doubt most people even know about the events when they happen. A good place to start would be to increase the visibility by making it a main forum area than sub forum, or let people talk about events in GD. Could even have upcoming events on the main site rather than the forum
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2014, 04:08:01 pm »
Exposition aside, breathing life into a competitive atmosphere is having some community member semi-official do a lot of groundwork, organizing things for a scene to even rise, much like Captain Lust did in Native, before and after being hired by Taleworlds.
chadz, give me EU Admin Rank 10(For unique item rewards) and forum moderator status (So Events can get properly organized as well as moved outside of General Discussion)!  :twisted:

Edit:
Doubt most people even know about the events when they happen. A good place to start would be to increase the visibility by making it a main forum area than sub forum, or let people talk about events in GD. Could even have upcoming events on the main site rather than the forum
More proof that it needs better organization!

chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Cyber

• Count
  • Renown: 237
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cyber
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2014, 10:46:04 pm »
I would love to see a Warband style game becoming a e-sport but realistically I can't see how M:BG has any chance at becoming one.

It doesn't have the potential to pull in a massive amount of players, even IF the game will be good, especially with more M&B style games being released these days. It doesn't have a big company like for example Riot or Valve behind it who could fund the competitive scene, I can't see a way to pull in any sponsors. I just don't see how it has anything going for it in regards to becoming a e-sport at all even though I really want to. It might have a small competitive community around it like native but that's about it.

Also, having 8v8 or 10v10 teams be the competitive standard would be a problem for any game trying to become a e-sport.

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2014, 10:48:49 pm »
The thing is, there could be any number of people on a team, and even duels have the potential to be quite interesting.

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2014, 10:52:30 pm »
+1
get melee green lit on steam and i think it has a good chance of getting near the top.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2014, 11:13:49 pm »
Greenlight does tend to attract more buzz as well. Could pre-emptively grow a community (aside from the selected M:BG sirs and scholars  :evil:).

P.S.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2014, 11:16:25 pm »
after reading the preface i doubt the novelle itself will be any different, eventhough its just a preface. it still shows the core idea or mindset if you will, in what direction devs would like the game to go. crpg is old and yes many changes have seen the daylight, but the base idea is the same, havent changed since day 1. not from my perspective anyway.

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2014, 11:26:31 pm »
Well a new beginning (and not tied to being a mod) does change things imo.

Also, integrated clan support would be good. Trying to imagine how cRPG 2010 would have been with the website as it is now, the official clan entries vs badly formatted forum posts that dragged on (and turned into gif soup - not naming any names...) That's not a stab at the devs, the mod developed over time. But there used to be a lot more clan activity, and I think maintaining them got a bit too much for some people.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2014, 11:30:04 pm »
+3
Major League Gaming.

(click to show/hide)
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2014, 11:35:53 pm »
please no esport shit

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2014, 11:39:40 pm »
please no esport shit

What do you mean? And why?

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2014, 11:40:41 pm »
clan activity slowly die(d) because as mentioned, mass-recruiting form-ed/ing huge clans, pushing the new and small clans out. mass-recruiting is a natural follow of 1) strat and 2) banner balance. this is far from new thing and i hate to keep bringing it up, but its just the root to far most of the issues i think there is in crpg, issues that i fear will be inherited by mbg. for this reason im not going to act testdummy again for another 2 years :)

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2014, 11:44:58 pm »
I don't know about M:BG server plans, but perhaps the option of private servers would alleviate the effect of having massive clans. Like if dedicated public servers didn't have clan stacking (or purposefully broke up clans) and clans could host their own servers for scrims etc, and official Clan v Clan servers were separate from public servers, I think you wouldn't get this problem of steamrolling non-clan people.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2014, 11:52:30 pm »
why wouldnt devs want to make pubstomp game when the mod was this... shall we call it successfull?

pubstomp may be fun, its just not a sport (only to the stompers :p) and wont ever become a sport because it is not competitive (even/fair) and it doesnt encourage personal progress.

perhaps if there was 2 stomp servers, then the two stomp teams could compeat on time, who is the fastest to clear battlefield, then it would be a sport!  :lol: