Author Topic: Revert right 1h swing change.  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Revert right 1h swing change.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 05:32:18 pm »
+9
Wat, now the tendency to hit at head height for an animation is a disadvantage because people duck under the swing? That is the most desperate, far fetched whine I have ever heard.

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 06:08:36 pm »
+3
It seems fine to me with my 90 length sword. Turn into your right swing and get a free headshot.

I'm disinclined to be sympathetic to the whines of s-keying huscarl shield and 100 length sword players, though.

Offline kono yaro!

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: b0nk
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 12:03:17 am »
the right swing is fine. it glances less at close range and generally makes a lot more sense now

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 02:41:40 am »
+1
the right swing is fine. it glances less at close range and generally makes a lot more sense now

.... said the 2h mauler tincan  :lol:

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 02:44:29 am »
why was it changed?

i really like to know. and some logic reasoning too! please.

id like to know who thinks he is smarter than the ones creating the game he have made a mod for.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 04:02:53 am »
Teeth did u just remove my post ?
You know forum admining is for actually admining not throwing shit at people then delete their responds to you.

Mmh, maybe you are right, I didn't think about people duking below the swing. It's not like it happens all that often though.
It's happening quiet often, 2handers tend to bow their heads down to avoid teamhit in fights and even some nerds aim your feet if you wear low armored footgear

Wat, now the tendency to hit at head height for an animation is a disadvantage because people duck under the swing? That is the most desperate, far fetched whine I have ever heard.
If i am not high enough to think i sent my reply imaginary, you really are fucked up in the head terribly.
You are playing this game for 5 years, still don't have a clue about 1hander class...

Leftswing = High damage, low reach
Overhead = Medium damage, medium reach
Rightswing = Medium damage, high reach (Downside compared to overhead = no damage at close reach by glancing)

Fucking up with this default balance is a terrible idea.
With this change, right swing has the function of overhead with a retarded,gimpy animation medium range-medium damage

I am taking screenshot of this post, I hope this time you'll try to learn the game you've been playing for 5 years instead of removing this post due to butthurt.

Turns out i was really high enough to think that, sorry for accusations Teeth !  :oops:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 12:02:49 am by HarunYahya »

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 04:26:20 am »
+2
This is what right swing will look like next patch unless you provide feedback: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24876970/cRPG%20Stuff/anim_tydeus_nudges.rar Drop it in your  warband/modules/crpg/resources/ folder and temporarily rename the old tydeus_anim.brf.

You have the option of whining while doing nothing, or helping out with a future change.

why was it changed?

Considering it was tweaked by the same person last year (for the better).. I have faith that it'll eventually get to a satisfactory level.

Leftswing = High damage, low reach
Overhead = Medium damage, medium reach
Rightswing = Medium damage, high reach (Downside compared to overhead = no damage at close reach by glancing)

Overhead deals more damage than right swing and left swing. Left swing and right swing deal the same damage. The way glancing works for sideswings is also a lot dumber than you can believe.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 04:41:27 am »
Overhead deals more damage than right swing and left swing. Left swing and right swing deal the same damage. The way glancing works for sideswings is also a lot dumber than you can believe.
I dunno the math part of it, basing my feedback on my experiences.
Left swing goes directly to head and can have speed bonus by turning into swings thus crowning it champion of 1h swings.
Overhead doesn't have the speed bonus, can be aimed to head but might glance,hit body,stuck on guy behind you etc long story short: Risky compared to left swing.
Right swing is the only poking option against opponents who rely on range such as 2h,polearms,cavs

Not mentioning stabs since i've been using manly arabian stuff since start.

This is what right swing will look like next patch unless you provide feedback: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24876970/cRPG%20Stuff/anim_tydeus_nudges.rar Drop it in your  warband/modules/crpg/resources/ folder and temporarily rename the old tydeus_anim.brf.

You have the option of whining while doing nothing, or helping out with a future change.

Considering it was tweaked by the same person last year (for the better).. I have faith that it'll eventually get to a satisfactory level.
I'll try this and share feedback here.
This is not only going to fix the bulky animation but the hitbox and angle of the swing aswell with future patch ?
What is the intention of this change in first place anyway ?

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 05:02:34 am »
Whoops, yeah, outside of the head-hitting part. Left swing would deal more when it hits the head, then (I personally look down when I fight, so my left swings hit the body  :oops:). For some reason, overheads just deal more damage in general, with additional bonus damage to the head.

I can't really speak for Tydeus. I just shrugged and said go for it if he thinks he can improve it since I liked his last right swing change.

Edit: Clarified a few points better.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:14:45 am by San »

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 05:10:14 am »
+2
id like to know who thinks he is smarter than the ones creating the game he have made a mod for.
Anyone who thinks Warband is a Masterpiece, is simply ignorant of the facts.  :|
This is not only going to fix the bulky animation but the hitbox and angle of the swing aswell with future patch ?
What is the intention of this change in first place anyway ?
Once patched, the server will use the new animation for hit detection.

The intention was to simply make it a more viable swing. It's not really the type of change that is easy to get perfect on the first try since you have to find the right angle where it won't collide with things that it shouldn't(not just from a user's standpoint, but a balance standpoint)and will still connect when desired.

The old animation certainly had its use, and it definitely excelled in its area of expertise. The intention is simply to increase usability. When people talk about weapon reach, it's spoken about from a "best case scenario", which is with your opponent directly in front of you. In this situation, the 1h right swing hasn't lost anything(at least nothing worth mentioning). It's only on the sharper angles where this becomes an issue. If the issue is effective reach at any given time, then I'd rather focus on when in the old animation the reach really started getting used, and make the new animation's reach available at that same point in time.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 05:45:35 am »
Anyone who thinks Warband is a Masterpiece, is simply ignorant of the facts.  :| Once patched, the server will use the new animation for hit detection.

The intention was to simply make it a more viable swing. It's not really the type of change that is easy to get perfect on the first try since you have to find the right angle where it won't collide with things that it shouldn't(not just from a user's standpoint, but a balance standpoint)and will still connect when desired.

The old animation certainly had its use, and it definitely excelled in its area of expertise. The intention is simply to increase usability. When people talk about weapon reach, it's spoken about from a "best case scenario", which is with your opponent directly in front of you. In this situation, the 1h right swing hasn't lost anything(at least nothing worth mentioning). It's only on the sharper angles where this becomes an issue. If the issue is effective reach at any given time, then I'd rather focus on when in the old animation the reach really started getting used, and make the new animation's reach available at that same point in time.
Thanks for detailed explanations, even if you create the best animation, people will rage because messing with animation brings a new learning curve to adept the change and everyone hates that process  :lol:
I tried the new animation but haven't noticed anything to be honest. Feeling a bit dull now  :rolleyes:

Did I do something wrong when overwriting BRFs ? Or am i really a stupid who can't see the difference ? :(

PS: 2nd animation is future animation. Failed and named it native animation
CBA to reedit and upload since its already 7 am and i haven't slept.
Animations in order
1) Current
2) Planned, future
3)Standart native

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:00:12 am by HarunYahya »

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 06:00:02 am »
From my perspective, it looked like a slightly upward angled "older" right swing. I can try to upload a small clip tomorrow.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 06:10:29 am »
+2
Lol all 3 seem pretty close, i thought the initial delay of the animation was added with this patch aswell.
We tend to throw shit at new stuff without testing it i guess  :twisted:

So basically
Native animation = Horizontal cut
Current animation = Diagonal cut
Future animation = Something between native and current one

Correct ?

After seeing those 3 in slow-mo, i have to admit i overreacted to this change,reach seems pretty same (Maybe lower due to angle but who knows the true reach of right swings anyway ?) and the angle can be adjusted by practice. My "people bow their heads and you can't hit em" whine won't be valid after i adapt and aim a lil low to compensate the swing's angle to hit my enemy's head.

This is just a very very small change which i still don't think it's necessary just because i don't want to be arsed with that adaptation process.

Edit: I forgot the upside of the new animation  :oops:
Downside =We got to practice it and learn how to use it properly
Upside = Now right swing doesn't glance at close targets

Wouldn't expect to say that but good work Tydeus lol. I just had to see those on slow motion to understand this rework is actually good .
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:29:07 am by HarunYahya »

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2014, 12:05:08 pm »
+1
warband is still good enough for you to spend years on creating and maintaining a mod for that game.

chadz not working on it anymore. crpg is now the trainee project, the way to train and teach the new young devs. they are alchemisting and we are testdummy'ing and if we aint testdummy'ing, we should stfu about anything cos trainees knows wtf they do.

:lol:

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 02:24:58 pm »
+1
We should force San and Tydeus to drop everything and rework the BearForce mod.

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.