Author Topic: 0.3.3.6  (Read 27769 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: 0.3.3.6
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2014, 02:30:45 am »
+1
Sounds like your problem is not being a top-performing player

Jokes aside, with lowering player count and increasing blocking skill, thus increased strength of ganks, a good team balancer is absolutely essential to the enjoyability of this game. Banner groups should weigh heavily, an equal division of classes should be taken into account, an unequal division of players should be a possiblity etc. Now, I have looked at the code and it looks like a seriously convoluted mess. Perhaps throwing it all away and starting from scratch might be a good idea? Perhaps the overlords can be persuaded to help out, or at least give some advice? Just saying, this shit is rather important.

When I was against the banner stack, I sure felt like a crappy player, getting roflstomped every round. Then the rounds I was balanced with the banner stack, I suddenly was getting kills/valor all over the place.

I didn't magically get better just because I got balanced to the good team, it's just easier to do well when all the best players are on your team.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2014, 05:30:22 am »
When I was against the banner stack, I sure felt like a crappy player, getting roflstomped every round. Then the rounds I was balanced with the banner stack, I suddenly was getting kills/valor all over the place.

I didn't magically get better just because I got balanced to the good team, it's just easier to do well when all the best players are on your team.

I often feel like the team getting steamrolled has a lot of players that aren't outright leeching but just playing really lazy and not giving all their effort. The winning team just needs a tiny thread of teamwork to put them ahead and roll on x5.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2014, 09:02:47 am »

Jokes aside, with lowering player count and increasing blocking skill, thus increased strength of ganks, a good team balancer is absolutely essential to the enjoyability of this game. Banner groups should weigh heavily, an equal division of classes should be taken into account, an unequal division of players should be a possiblity etc. Now, I have looked at the code and it looks like a seriously convoluted mess. Perhaps throwing it all away and starting from scratch might be a good idea? Perhaps the overlords can be persuaded to help out, or at least give some advice? Just saying, this shit is rather important.

http://forum.melee.org/suggestions-corner/proposed-change-to-team-balance-algorithim/
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2014, 09:13:56 am »
+1

its old classic truth. everyone who have played just a little bit CS knows this... or IRL football... or brawl... :p

banner balance is disguised as "teamwork" feat.

banner balance is unfair on a mindblowing level.

banner balance is keeping new players away.

many of us (not the ones in clans using the unfair banner balance) have cried about this for years literal, banner balance have still not changed.

valour/score system gives high damage players more points, more likely to get valour = gank groups full of polearm builds (just enough str to use the weapon and then agi for the rest, gogo spam yay) running around the map not having to think tactic or anything, just swing.

> devs is biased <

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2014, 06:39:17 pm »
That's probably the main reason I burned out on battle right there.  If you're on the stacked team the game is boring -- If you're on the team opposing the stacked team, the game is miserable beyond description.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2014, 07:24:15 pm »

blocking skill is for noobs and duelmy old friends
real pro's use shields
only way too block 2 directions at the same time :D

about bannerstack though, i really don't get why people complain, i sort of do better playing with my clan mates sure, but most of the times the kill hungry assholes just steal all the kills
tbh i kinda prefer playing on the weaker team, rolling a map is just boring as hell for me

BUT i also want to play with my clan mates because it is fun.
i think the points based autobalance system crpg has is absolutely great tbh. works like a charm. like teeth said earlier, people just complain because they aren't winning, and i mean, just get better and stuff. (wear less armour, use shield, play native to get an idea how to actually block arrows, native clan matches to get an idea about teamwork, blah blah etc etc)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:27:34 pm by Corsair831 »
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2014, 10:22:38 pm »
+1
blocking skill is for noobs and duelmy old friends
real pro's use shields
only way too block 2 directions at the same time :D

about bannerstack though, i really don't get why people complain, i sort of do better playing with my clan mates sure, but most of the times the kill hungry assholes just steal all the kills
tbh i kinda prefer playing on the weaker team, rolling a map is just boring as hell for me

BUT i also want to play with my clan mates because it is fun.
i think the points based autobalance system crpg has is absolutely great tbh. works like a charm. like teeth said earlier, people just complain because they aren't winning, and i mean, just get better and stuff. (wear less armour, use shield, play native to get an idea how to actually block arrows, native clan matches to get an idea about teamwork, blah blah etc etc)

Actually, "getting good" is counter-productive if you don't get good inside the bannerstack. There is naught a more horrifying sight than me on top of my team's scoreboard with 20 Greys on the other side. If I had less points I would have a chance at being on the winning team. Of course, it's not always like that and in general it's a better idea to make your team win. But with bannerstacks the odds of winning are so far from balanced that's its better doing anything to get in the winning team rather than pointlessly trying to win.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 01, 2014, 10:33:32 pm »
Actually, "getting good" is counter-productive if you don't get good inside the bannerstack. There is naught a more horrifying sight than me on top of my team's scoreboard with 20 Greys on the other side. If I had less points I would have a chance at being on the winning team. Of course, it's not always like that and in general it's a better idea to make your team win. But with bannerstacks the odds of winning are so far from balanced that's its better doing anything to get in the winning team rather than pointlessly trying to win.

So true. If you are the only one on with your banner, the best way to roll x5 is to suck your way onto the bannerstack team. The other alternative is to lone wolf and seek out stragglers on the other team, ignore the crowd, and hope you get valor despite losing. Actually trying to help your team win against the banner stack is the least effective strategy, unfortunately.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2014, 10:37:15 pm »
Yes. Nothing more demotivating than trying to help your disadvantaged teammates and they just ditch you anyways to leave you to die. Screw that then, I'll just get my valour.

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2014, 11:10:27 pm »

i mean do you really see it that way?

when i see 20  greys / drz on the other time i just think "ooh, free kills"

none of them ever block lol, it's like free valour
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2014, 11:24:07 pm »
Tydeus: Dragging an overhead into a player, late in the animation, will now result in zero damage.

Its gotten better but it still happens.. Anyhow, still nice improvement

Also the throwing equipment dmg increase is nice
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #146 on: May 02, 2014, 12:41:37 am »
Tydeus: Dragging an overhead into a player, late in the animation, will now result in zero damage.

Its gotten better but it still happens.. Anyhow, still nice improvement

Also the throwing equipment dmg increase is nice
What weapon? I can actually adjust further for each weapon type individually, it's just that testing itself isn't exactly easy for me to do.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2014, 02:37:45 am »
What weapon? I can actually adjust further for each weapon type individually, it's just that testing itself isn't exactly easy for me to do.

I saw a bec do it twice yesterday, but as long as Long Mauls can no longer do it, I'm happy.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2014, 02:42:58 am »
Testing with Ascalon the other day, you can do it partially in general. It does cancel out the absurdly long drag overheads for slow + powerful weapons.

Using the damage reporter, it gives you the damage it would have done had that 0 damage tweak hadn't been put in place.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2014, 04:02:41 pm »
mostly 1hander overheads who tend to hit past their teammates and then hit me. But I think this is due to the turn rate with 1h is faster then the overhead animation can handle, or atleast that is what it looks like what is happening.
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™