Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 28206 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #255 on: October 22, 2015, 09:47:42 am »
Making space combat better and adding bigger ships, that's all I ever wanted from them (and also fleshing out the missions but that has been done already).

I'd be tempted to try this game out when/if they added bigger ships and way more stuff to exploration. As of now it seems that it's quite boring to do.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2035
  • Infamy: 519
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 22, 2015, 02:28:31 pm »
What's the point of adding bigger ships than Anaconda if there is only one player operating it? Until they add multicrew functionality (second expansion should add that feature), bigger ships in Elite: Dangerous make no sense. Anaconda sucks major cocks to drive because it is slow and boring ship. Slightly smaller ships like Python and Clipper are much better imho.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 22, 2015, 09:35:08 pm »
What's the point of adding bigger ships than Anaconda if there is only one player operating it? Until they add multicrew functionality (second expansion should add that feature), bigger ships in Elite: Dangerous make no sense. Anaconda sucks major cocks to drive because it is slow and boring ship. Slightly smaller ships like Python and Clipper are much better imho.

Well, by larger ships I assumed the possibility of multiplayer crews, although that would be a nightmare to play regularly.

I'd be tempted to try this game out when/if they added bigger ships and way more stuff to exploration. As of now it seems that it's quite boring to do.

Yeah, cutting down on the time it takes to explore systems would be neat. There are way more systems in the galaxy than what we can ever hope to explore anyway. I don't see the point of making everything so slow.

Also, a lot of useless downtime could be dealt with. The hyperspace countdown out of combat situations is way too long. Docking requests should really take one key. Supercruise to all objects except ships should be automated (not go faster, merely adjust the speed automatically plus collision avoidance), and the galaxy/system maps should be shown over the cockpit with some amount of transparency so that it becomes possible to safely look at the map while traveling.

Really, games of the X series do these things correctly and they have a lot of travel downtime too, they just let you do whatever you want while you wait instead of requiring constant attention over menial trajectory and speed corrections.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2846
  • Infamy: 942
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 22, 2015, 10:49:19 pm »
Game already uses some completely non scientific concepts to make time spent on traveling bearable. They are very proud of 1:1 galaxy scale and I wouldn't want them to move from that idea.

Seems to me you want this game to be more like X series, micromanagement space simulator. I'm afraid Elite is completely different animal.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 22, 2015, 10:58:49 pm »
Change your avatar, Leshman.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1681
  • Infamy: 2084
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 23, 2015, 02:16:59 pm »

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #261 on: October 23, 2015, 04:21:38 pm »
+1
That looks pretty neat to me...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 23, 2015, 07:05:46 pm »
Game already uses some completely non scientific concepts to make time spent on traveling bearable. They are very proud of 1:1 galaxy scale and I wouldn't want them to move from that idea.

Seems to me you want this game to be more like X series, micromanagement space simulator. I'm afraid Elite is completely different animal.

I merely want a game I can thoroughly enjoy playing. That's not to say E:D is not enjoyable in its current state though. And there is no need to add "micromanagement" (I think you mean management, micromanagement is an insult) actually. Merely the possibility of planning your moves ahead looking at the map while your ship goes through space would be excellent, the complexity is already there, to some degree.

Also, they can be proud of the 1:1 scale while simultaneously making a better game. The scale will be abstract regardless, you cannot avoid that. In fact, the bit about exploration of one system taking too much time would effectively improve the sense of scale of the galaxy, as explorers would quickly have to travel much further away than they do right now.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1842
  • Infamy: 1978
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 23, 2015, 07:34:29 pm »
Exploration is main thing in Elite. Currently it isn't fun because game is largely unfinished. When they add planetary locations and in-depth first person mechanics, exploration will flourish because you'll spend time in buggy or on foot. Won't be strapped into seat of your fighter/freighter/battleship. Exploring locations that are far away from galaxy center should take time. It isn't meant to be something you'll do in a week. They haven't yet implemented alien threat (Thargoids). When they devise mechanics around aliens, exploration will become more meaningful.

Trading is popular because it makes most sense atm, alongside dogfighting. You shouldn't expect trading and empire building to be expanded for solo players. If you want to go that route get some friends to play with you. Unlike X series, this isn't singleplayer game and it isn't meant for solo player to build and control fleet on his own.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1091
  • Infamy: 2964
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 27, 2015, 05:08:36 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:mrgreen:

Source

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 27, 2015, 05:55:43 pm »
I thought the very same thing when I saw the faces for the first time.
So true...

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2721
  • Infamy: 2172
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 27, 2015, 08:58:08 pm »
Disappointed by today's live stream. Expected to see first person transition from ship to SRV, they didn't even show it (people say it's just black screen). Thought they are going to show 30 player mayhem on planets, SRVs and ships fighting for base. They have shown SRV driving around derelict ships and shooting some drones. Now I'm not sure does this expansion has anything worthwhile to offer at launch. Maybe it will get better in six months or a year. But currently it seems to be just driving buggies on planetoid surface and shooting drones.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #267 on: October 27, 2015, 09:17:56 pm »
I still look at this game and think "Wow, it looks so pretty, combat looks fun, the design is nice" but then I go back and read the features and peoples opinions etc and find myself still on the fence about if this game will ever actually be 'long term' fun, it looks like it has quite a steep learning curve with all the menus and controls on a ship, yet the rest of the game seems pretty shallow. Got any links that might enlighten me and convince me other wise? I really want to try this game, but I can't justify buying it with my current doubts.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 28, 2015, 10:06:47 am »
I still look at this game and think "Wow, it looks so pretty, combat looks fun, the design is nice" but then I go back and read the features and peoples opinions etc and find myself still on the fence about if this game will ever actually be 'long term' fun, it looks like it has quite a steep learning curve with all the menus and controls on a ship, yet the rest of the game seems pretty shallow. Got any links that might enlighten me and convince me other wise? I really want to try this game, but I can't justify buying it with my current doubts.
I'd say "Don't buy it (yet)"
At least wait till Horizons went live + 2 months and check back again. They already fleshed out a lot of things by now with the power struggle and the community goals but right now is a bad time to join with expansion on the horizon (huehuehue...).

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 28, 2015, 07:03:15 pm »
Incidentally, I joined Aisling Duval's faction.