Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 28178 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 698
  • Infamy: 1439
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #270 on: November 04, 2015, 11:50:40 pm »
Last week's live stream was garbage and led to believe some things won't be done right. This week they have briefly shown bases and they look quite good imo:

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 05, 2015, 01:14:02 am »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 652
  • Infamy: 1402
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 05, 2015, 04:50:12 pm »
+3

Molleh is that you?

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 05, 2015, 04:55:25 pm »

Molleh is that you?

Holy shit, that's amazing.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 05, 2015, 05:06:30 pm »
Holy shit, that's amazing.
You're amazing.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 05, 2015, 05:11:24 pm »
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 10, 2015, 09:49:44 am »
Greetings fellow spacetruckers. I got this recently on the sale, and I guess I am enjoying this for what it is - Euro Truck Simulator in space. I'm doing purely trading, pretty relaxing stuff. I was doing some small scale, system to system trades but recently found out about this Rare Commodity trading. A lot less docking needed, much longer trip, feels less of a grind which is nice. And the payout feels like you're cheating, lol (Lave -> Fujin). Saved enough money for a Cobra MkIII, though the upgrade to FSD to be able to jump as long as I could with my Hauler will set me back even more creds...

Since I do stuff on my other monitor while flying, it almost resulted in me crashing into a white dwarf star. Who's bright (hehe) idea was it to get out of the jump facing the star.

Anyway I have questions:
- Why does it happen that sometimes my ship doesn't slow down by itself fast enough in supercruise, when your throttle is in the blue zone? It works most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't start braking soon/strong enough.
- Is there any negative to 'speeding' inside/just outside space stations? I have yet to be caught or anything.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #277 on: December 10, 2015, 02:04:31 pm »
+1
[...]
Anyway I have questions:
- Why does it happen that sometimes my ship doesn't slow down by itself fast enough in supercruise, when your throttle is in the blue zone? It works most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't start braking soon/strong enough.
- Is there any negative to 'speeding' inside/just outside space stations? I have yet to be caught or anything.
I went by 2 indicators which always let me successfully jump to a station: the speed indicator being in the blue zone and the time of arrival indicator. While approaching keep this time at 6 seconds or above and you won't have trouble to jump in properly ever.
I believe the blue zone one only works if you stick to it right from the start. The longer you go full throttle, the less reliable the indication will be.
That is only based on my experience. Don't ask me for proper quotes.

Afaik there is no speeding penalty. It just becomes really hard to land properly when you go too fast.
Except if you're smuggling and you wanna pass the entry cargo check without the coppers noticing the tied up slaves in your cargo bay. In that situation speed is your best friend, carefull on the boost tho. You wouldn't be the first one to smash your awesome cobra into the back end of the docking area :lol:
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 11, 2015, 02:04:02 am »
To me it's more fun and vastly more profitable to run smuggling missions over simple trading. The payout on these things is crazy. I haven't been caught yet, security is way too slow to scan me before I land.

As for the supercruise thing it can be for a number of reasons. One of which is if your ship has decelerated because of the proximity of a planet earlier and accelerated again. There seems to be a problem with the way that system works. They really should give us automatic supercruise anyway.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 11, 2015, 08:47:58 am »
To me it's more fun and vastly more profitable to run smuggling missions over simple trading. The payout on these things is crazy. I haven't been caught yet, security is way too slow to scan me before I land.

As for the supercruise thing it can be for a number of reasons. One of which is if your ship has decelerated because of the proximity of a planet earlier and accelerated again. There seems to be a problem with the way that system works. They really should give us automatic supercruise anyway.

Only did smuggling once because I bought some illegal rare commodities by accident :lol:

I just went into the station almost full speed, they actually started scanning me but I entered the station fast and that seems to cancel it? What's important to take note when you're smuggling, do you just need to fly fast into the station or what?

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 11, 2015, 09:24:12 am »
That will get you only so far tho.

Big time smugglers with the huge trucks try to sneak in with the heatsinks but that takes quite a lot of time, practice and money to rebuy with insurance :D

...cuz make no mistake, if they manage to scan you while smuggling, they'll blow you up in seconds.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 11, 2015, 09:52:54 am »
...cuz make no mistake, if they manage to scan you while smuggling, they'll blow you up in seconds.

Wot  :shock:

what happened to illegal goods confiscation and paying a fine? goddamn coppers

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 11, 2015, 02:22:56 pm »
Oh also, are there any more detailed proximity sensors in this game? I can't really imagine how big my ships is from first person view when I'm entering the space station. Sometimes that general proximity warning goes off, but no idea why or what part of my ship is close to the station.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 11, 2015, 03:49:39 pm »
Oh also, are there any more detailed proximity sensors in this game? I can't really imagine how big my ships is from first person view when I'm entering the space station. Sometimes that general proximity warning goes off, but no idea why or what part of my ship is close to the station.
I don't think there is...

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 11, 2015, 06:59:55 pm »
+1
About smuggling, I never got caught and the closest I got to it was when law enforcement interdicted me, not when landing at stations. It happened a couple of times with a transport ship, and I always managed to escape. I haven't encountered a smuggling mission I couldn't do with an upgraded Cobra, though. That thing has sick cargo space.

That will get you only so far tho.

Big time smugglers with the huge trucks try to sneak in with the heatsinks but that takes quite a lot of time, practice and money to rebuy with insurance :D

If you can go through the orbital station's airlock thing at 100ish m/s you won't get caught, and it's really not that difficult as long as there isn't a lot traffic.

The speeding sensor will produce a periodic beep. And there is an impact warning system also, but I'm not sure it takes your whole hull into account, or even your actual velocity vector. It definitely beeps when you have stuff in front of you.