Author Topic: Meanwhile in USA  (Read 59503 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2715
  • Infamy: 546
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile in USA
« Reply #645 on: April 07, 2018, 01:00:09 pm »
The fees for the University of Helsinki Master’s Programmes are 13,000, 15,000 and 18,000 EUR per academic year, depending on the programme.

Please note that there are no tuition fees for:
  • exchange students
  • PhD students
  • citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and those who have a permanent residence status within the EU and EEA.

https://www.helsinki.fi/en/studying/tuition-fees

If American, enter some public community college that cost next to nothing per year, enter exchange student programme and go to Finland. Finish studies and get a well paid job. As European citizen you have no obstacles of any kind. Yet many of them choose to sit on their asses and fake mental disability. Scum.

Just because USA is a terrible role model when it comes to most things doesn't mean there aren't countries that do things better.

Many of those waiters in USA are in Work and Travel programmes aka immigrants. Some of them earn minimum wage, some earn 15 USD per hour and both get double in tips. You may think you're boss by giving 15% on top of the bill but they earn their bread when wealthy group of drunkards leave them with 500 dollar bill as a tip after a rough night in a bar.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 07, 2018, 03:29:10 pm »
As a pleb being in the US I paid about 30% of my wages as an "independent contractor". Generally it's about 15% payed by the employee and the other 15% paid by the employer with some meager refund at the end of the year.

I also don't understand why it's a hard concept for some non-USers that waiters and waitresses get paid less than minimum wage here and it's being grubby to not tip. I thought it was part of some service fee in the EU so you could pay a baseline rate to the employees? Is it better or worse? That's probably up to the workers, I'm sure some enjoy it here. Depending on the location and based on the restaurant they could potentially go home with a lot of money.
And how!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 07, 2018, 05:36:14 pm »
+1
I also don't understand why it's a hard concept for some non-USers that waiters and waitresses get paid less than minimum wage here and it's being grubby to not tip. I thought it was part of some service fee in the EU so you could pay a baseline rate to the employees? Is it better or worse? That's probably up to the workers, I'm sure some enjoy it here. Depending on the location and based on the restaurant they could potentially go home with a lot of money.

It's just more secure in the EU. Legally they're required to pay you at least minimum wage, but tips aren't as high. So while a US waiter has the potential to go home with more money on a given day, in EU there's a guaranteed (debatably) decent income. Imagine how the US system of paying "below wage" would go for higher paying jobs such as software development, but then the manager would pay you only 50% of the wage in contract and tip you depending on your results and his whim and mood on a given day. So much potential for abuse.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:39:15 pm by Vibe »

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 08, 2018, 04:08:09 am »
I get that, and the scummy practices here when managers expect waiters and waitresses to fulfill extra duties while not waiting tables. It's curious that it somehow became par for the course here but I don't think there's a parallel with non-service related jobs. Food service is the only career where tips are expected to be the main source of income where paying below the minimum is somehow lawful.
And how!

Offline Tibes

• Count
  • Renown: 150
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 08, 2018, 08:08:38 am »
Theres also an issue with taking out larger loans. I doubt tips, being as stable of an income as they are, are counted in there during the process.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #650 on: April 08, 2018, 10:37:37 am »
Theres also an issue with taking out larger loans. I doubt tips, being as stable of an income as they are, are counted in there during the process.

not playing devil's advocate because you're correct- although a secured credit card with deposit of $250 or so, making regular expense purchases on it and paying off balance monthly will do more to advance your credit score/potential for loans than a higher income will, to a certain degree.

but if one can manage to find the proper location, you can really bamboozle the IRS and make 3-4x your declared earnings. there's a country club/resort type of thing near me that snowbird Yanks and what passes for southern aristocracy in 2018 frequent. minimum wage at 7.25/hr but you've got real conspicuous consumers in there throwing around gigantic cash tips. boggles my mind, people banging out a 1-5k bill on liquor and tipping a few hundred to someone like it ain't shit. but that happens pretty frequently.

of course, not saying that essentially professionally sucking up to richcunts is particularly useful to the condition of humanity or likely to be "self-actualizing" but man, you can at least get hood rich off cash tips. most usefully, simply not declaring the large majority of your cash tips to daddy gub'mint.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #651 on: April 09, 2018, 11:05:58 pm »
FBI raided the El chumpo's lawyers house, lol.

Luckily his jump suit will match his skin tone.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #652 on: April 09, 2018, 11:24:29 pm »

they should have actually done something about Flynn being a literal anti-Gulenist Turkish agent on behalf of that watermelon-seller Erdogan

you're much more likely to see land war take place in Syria, Iran, elsewhere in the next two years than trump occupying a jail cell

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 09, 2018, 11:42:50 pm »
TFW you will be too old for WWIII
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 10, 2018, 02:01:51 am »
Anyone want to join Eden's gate with me?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:50:44 am by Asheram »
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #655 on: April 10, 2018, 11:10:26 am »

This is it! Drumpf is done! Impeachment any second now for the bad cheetoh orange man! How can he ever recover. Hahaha wow you truly are the most basic of retards. How closely related were your parents?

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 10, 2018, 03:19:38 pm »
+1
Jeez man, piss on a guy for dreaming why dont you?  I know he's going to be okay as long as the republicans control it all.  Im hopefull for the shift in control next election cycle.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:06:17 pm by Drunken_sailor »

Offline Westwood

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossback, Occitan, Mossitan
  • Game nicks: Westwood
« Reply #657 on: April 10, 2018, 08:02:49 pm »
+2
faint slurping noises

Drink up
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 10, 2018, 08:22:27 pm »
+2
I'm more of a soylent-green man myself

also westwood on tv
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:24:36 am by Drunken_sailor »

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 14, 2018, 06:46:26 am »
if you pay attention you can see how popular movies in the US get ruined by *most likley* CIA influence on hollywood.

example #1 alien vs aliens: alien.. no us miltary presence, aliens.. heavy us military presence

example #2 AlienvsPredator(AVP) vs AlienVsPredator Requeim(AVP requeim): AVP.. no us military, AVP reqeuiem.. heavy us military presence

example #3 28 days later vs 28 weeks later: 28 days later.. no us military presence (anti miltary aspects), 28 weeks later.. heavy military presence (pro military aspects)

example #4 pacific rim(PR) vs pacific rim 2(PR2):  PR.. anti authoritarian plot; just monster vs robots, PR2.. proauthoritarian plot, heavy us military presence.

I could go on, but why in a country where we are supposed to be free from our own governments propaghanda we have too deal with this kind of shit.

also feel free to add to the list.