Author Topic: The Fearless Spearman - 24/21 No Shield No Ironflesh  (Read 2184 times)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
The Fearless Spearman - 24/21 No Shield No Ironflesh
« on: March 24, 2014, 03:30:55 am »
+8
I had been looking at different level 32+ builds when the wpf rework gave everyone a free respec. My main character was level 33 and I decided to power onwards to level 34 and go for a build that just isn't possible at lower levels. I settled on this:

STR: 24
AGI: 21

Power Strike: 8
Athletics: 7
Weapon Master: 7
1 unassigned skillpoint

One Handed WPF: 94 (115 with synergy)
Polearm WPF: 145 (155 with synergy)

It's great fun if you like to fight offensively. Four directional poles like the poleaxes, staves, and war/red tassel spears are amazing and hold their own against dedicated longsword/greatsword users. Slower polearms deal staggering damage with 8 PS and fast footwork. I have several +3 daggers and 1H weapons that I can use for backup or go 1H swashbuckler if I want a different playstyle. Strat battles always have something nice for my build.

Before I hit level 34 I was planning on dumping all my wpf into polearms, but I realized that it was not worth the investment to me. With 5 WM I had 145 Pole WPF. With 7 WM and pure Pole it would go up to 170. If I put all of that into One Handed WPF, the synergy boosts 145 Pole to 155. For the price of 15 Pole WPF I gained 115 One Handed WPF. With many polearms, it helps to have a short backup weapon for 1v1 fights when your enemy is too close to stab. I can play a pikeman and switch to 1H for close quarters fighting and still deal devastating damage. 115 WPF in 1H and 8 PS is enough that I have not had any glancing blows yet.

I know that skipping IF is blasphemy to some players, but I would rather hit harder and faster than be able to take more hits. 24 STR gives a decent amount of HP on its own. With 50~ or so head and body armor I have survived arrows, bolts, and throwing weapons to the head. It takes a high speed couch to one-hit me. That is plenty sturdy for me. The most fun I've ever had in CRPG is fighting in small 1v1 to 5v5 skirmishes. Manual blocking, darting between enemies, feinting, swinging around and just putting everything I've got into my attacks. It gets my adrenaline going. When I just started playing M&B I marveled at people who could do this. Finally, I can be that guy.

I've played archers, crossbowers, throwers, shielders, cav. Nothing compares to intense melee fighting with no shield. Does anyone else have a similar build? What did you like/hate about it? I almost put the 94 wpf into crossbow instead of 1H for strat battles, but I am glad that I didn't. 1H and Pole weapons have a HUGE variety of playstyles, so I never get bored.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Johammeth

• King
  • Renown: 1077
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ConnectiKUTT
Re: The Fearless Spearman - 24/21 No Shield No Ironflesh
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 03:36:44 am »
+3
This sounds absolutely delightful for tickling/THWOCKing people with a bamboo spear

Offline Tiger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 853
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • Made In China
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: TigerGirl; MooMooMilk; BobaBubbleTea; TerraCotta; Tuberculosis; BoomStickGirl
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 04:00:31 am »
+1
I agree with most of what you say Witchcraft, but a bit iffy over str vs speed thing, depending on play style people are use to.
Also you'd make a difficult opponent to beat  :)

"The long united must divide; the long divided must unite."
"How many things, before and after, all melt into gossip and laughter."

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 06:23:32 am »
+1
iffy over str vs speed thing,

I did 18/24 1H shielder before, but decided to lean towards strength on this build. 7 athletics with heavy armor feels "average" to me, but if I wear light mail or cloth armor I seem to outrun everyone on my team when we are leaving spawn at start of the round. 8 PS with good speed is amazing. You can take down heavily armored targets using just a few side swings on a spear. No IF means you can't make any mistakes if you're wearing armor that light though. You'll drop like a fly.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 05:25:54 pm »
+1
I would rather hit harder and faster than be able to take more hits.

Agreed, that's what I do with my builds as well.  I usually convert some skills to attributes that I could have used on Ironflesh, to get 1 more level of power strike.  I'd rather give up a passive defensive skill (being able to get hit more times), to gain an active offensive skill (dealing more damage when I attack). 

Tiger, having 7 athletics is way more than enough to stay with the rest of your infantry pack (in NA1 or strat battles).  Hell even with 5 athletics people rarely catch me when I'm in the middle of a pack of enemies and moving around. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 05:56:06 pm »
+2
IF is useful mainly against cavalry and archers, to survive a few extra shots or bumps. It happens to be the case when wearing heavy armor. Light armor on the other hand, means being quick on your feet so it benefits a more offensive and smart playstyle. Such situations can be avoided and/or dodged with good movement, so your build is probably the best offensive infantry build.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 07:33:42 pm »
+2
My longspear builds were always ONLY Athletics and Powerstrike (usually 15/27 at 32).  Ironflesh isn't needed at all, especially if you armour up.

Even Weapon Master can be skipped if you make a narrow enough build (in my case, fast enough to counteract slow weapon speed).

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 01:33:19 am »
+1
This would be my main's build if I didn't have 6 riding and 3 shield. 24-18 is nice, but that extra athletics would be so fucking sick for melee.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Zhyang

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 10:03:50 pm »
+1
my build is 21/19 on lvl 32 ..when I hit 33 21/21 ..but its already great fun with my mw double sided lance..the stab is..amazing..

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 03:46:43 am »
+1
21/21 is the next best thing if you prefer a bit of IF.

Nice build though.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 04:12:21 am »
+3
Picked up a +3 iron staff yesterday and hooooollllyyy shittttttt. Insanely fast, and killed some plate users in 2-3 hits (with nearly guaranteed knockdown). I think I have a new favorite weapon.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 08:56:05 pm »
Picked up a +3 iron staff yesterday and hooooollllyyy shittttttt. Insanely fast, and killed some plate users in 2-3 hits (with nearly guaranteed knockdown). I think I have a new favorite weapon.

you made daruvian upset because you killed him in 1 hit allegedly, wearing transitional.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 11:30:05 pm »
Long maul heaven :P

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 01:26:15 am »
+1
Long maul heaven :P

I own a loomed long maul and can confirm this.  :mrgreen:

I've never been a fan of playing long spear/pike, but I tried out a +3 long spear earlier today and was dominating the enemy team 13-1. I might have to get one of my own.

Offline SugarHoe

• Earl
  • Renown: 413
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisia
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 12:37:25 pm »
+2
I own a loomed long maul and can confirm this.  :mrgreen:

I've never been a fan of playing long spear/pike, but I tried out a +3 long spear earlier today and was dominating the enemy team 13-1. I might have to get one of my own.
half of those kills were me mindlessly running into you with a dagger and level 9