Poll

Please read the rationale before voting! :)

Does this seem like a fascinating concept?
Does this seem like a grand idea?
Does this seem like one of the many other 'interesting' Australian ideas?

Author Topic: Make the 'Spear' One Slot, and Why.  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Eugene

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • MLPK
    • View Profile
  • Faction: My Little Pony Krew
  • Game nicks: MLPK_Brony_Sudo
Make the 'Spear' One Slot, and Why.
« on: March 14, 2014, 10:09:48 am »
+6
Hello all,

I have come to the conclusion that it might seem fit to make the spear 1 slot, as there are weapons that are heavier and longer that are? Which to me, makes no sense.

Take the 1/4 staff for example, it's got 2 more reach, but a little less weight. (0.2). Or the military fork, which has more weight and the same reach?

I'm not sure how balanced this would be, but it seems logical according to the stats, so yeah.

--

When held up against the quarter staff, the two seem to be very comparable when it comes to battlefield performance; one has knockdown, more reach, more speed, as opposed to the spears somewhat similar damage output (less on swing, more on thrust). I believe these comparisons at least go with the point that it should be a one-slot polearm as well. However, compared to other two-slot polearms, it pales when held up against the iron-staff, long axe, long war axe etc.

Making the spear one-slot will also promote hybridization, which wouldn't be a bad thing considering the weapon is no stand-out on its own. Also it'll give pole-arms a lot more versatility as the only really feasible options are the staff/quarter staff or awful.

Thanks for reading

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:51:28 pm by Eugene »
I hate it when I forget to take my fedora off at night, and I wake up neck-deep in bitches

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
Re: Would it be a good idea to make the Spear 1 slot?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 10:12:19 am »
+4
ya give more pole 1slot weapons!
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Eugene

• Baron
  • MLPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 10:14:11 am »
+1
Like when you take it into consideration, it's got a bit of reach and a marginal damage increase on the shortened spear, but it's only .1 weight more, and is 4 speed less. In my books, they seem pretty comparable.
I hate it when I forget to take my fedora off at night, and I wake up neck-deep in bitches

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 12:19:38 pm »
+2
I have often thought this while masturbating to MLP fan fiction

Good Idea Eugene you slimey todger!
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
Re: Make the 'Spear' One Slot.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 12:47:33 pm »
+2
Wouldnt it be a huge buff the 1h shielders? They would then be able to carry a one handed weapon, 2 slot shield and a anti cav weapon.

Spear is a whole lot more viable than quarter staff, since 29p vs quarter staff's 21b is a huge difference.
Pure polearm cav would benefit a lot from this. Since they can then have a 2 slot lance, a shield and a spear (that can be used when de horsed.

Also: poll is biased :D

Offline Eugene

• Baron
  • MLPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 01:08:38 pm »
+1
Wouldnt it be a huge buff the 1h shielders? They would then be able to carry a one handed weapon, 2 slot shield and a anti cav weapon.

Spear is a whole lot more viable than quarter staff, since 29p vs quarter staff's 21b is a huge difference.
Pure polearm cav would benefit a lot from this. Since they can then have a 2 slot lance, a shield and a spear (that can be used when de horsed.

I did forget to take into account the 1H shield benefit of this, but I wouldn't say it's superior to the 1/4, as even though it has more thrust, it's only one direction that often thuds (especially against facehuggers), where the quarter staff is faster, longer AND has a pretty decent chance of knockdown. I suppose that with the new horse-stop, the quarter-staff could be used also by 1h/shield for the same reason, as well as it being a less proficiency demanding side-arm for dehorsed cavalry. I'm sure many players will agree that they are comparable, as one pro doesn't constitute three cons.

Edit: Poll isn't biased, the "'interesting' Australian idea" was an attempt at humour to say it's retarded. Sorry for the cloudiness of the joke :P

Offline Eddy

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OotQ
  • Game nicks: Eddy
Re: Make the 'Spear' One Slot, and Why.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 03:52:38 pm »
+1
They already can if you have a look at the Military Fork wich even got the same length of the Spear so i dont see a problem there  :wink:

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 03:56:20 pm »
+3
It would require quite a large nerf to the stats on the spear. Either that or buffing the military fork a lot.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 04:49:31 pm »
+2

2 slot shields are garbage, so this is a stupid argument.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Eugene

• Baron
  • MLPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 05:37:09 pm »
+1
It would require quite a large nerf to the stats on the spear. Either that or buffing the military fork a lot.
Opinion on spear vs qtr staff?

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 05:42:51 pm »
+1
Opinion on spear vs qtr staff?

Spear is better, by quite a lot.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 05:53:14 pm »
+1
Well, i cant see any harm with the normal spear. not the war spear though. if thats what you meant... poo poo to you sir.

Offline imisshotmail

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 428
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 06:46:02 pm »
+3
The spear is quite good as a weapon, but honestly it is far from a top tier polearm, and it is worse than most good 1handed weapons so I don't see why it shouldn't be 1slot at all. Compare the Spear to the ACS or something and it's worse than it by some distance.

More 2hs/poles should be made 1slot to give variety.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 06:48:07 pm »
...considering the weapon is no stand-out on its own...

Post was kinda good untill this point. Dafuq game YOU playing?

2 slot shields are garbage, so this is a stupid argument.

You didn't read before writing. Noone mantioned 2 slot shields.

Compare the Spear to the ACS or something and it's worse than it by some distance.

The BEST parts of the ACS is how I can stun someone endlessly and get tripple head damage AND stop horses with it. Wait no, thats the spear still... Tard. Prices are same too....
 There should be a minimum game mechanic understanding and player skill requirement for forum access I swear to Armagam.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:51:42 pm by BlindGuy »
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Eugene

• Baron
  • MLPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 06:50:56 pm »
+1
The spear is quite good as a weapon, but honestly it is far from a top tier polearm, and it is worse than most good 1handed weapons so I don't see why it shouldn't be 1slot at all. Compare the Spear to the ACS or something and it's worse than it by some distance.

More 2hs/poles should be made 1slot to give variety.

The spear compared to almost every other 2 slot polearm (most notably long axe, iron staff, long war axe etc) really show that the spear really lacks a lot of "oomf" that most 2 slot weapons, and even most one-handers have. The reach really isn't great when compared to the bonus' of 1h/2h animations.