Author Topic: Spoils of war  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Frell

• Baron
  • Renown: 117
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Frell, Valperga
Spoils of war
« on: May 17, 2011, 02:32:21 am »
So we we're talking about you should get a small amount of gold+xp per kill, and that was quickly shot down by players who played during the old system and they all had very good points.

What happens now: Better weapons aren't profitable at all because of repair fees and all you're doing is paying for kills. It is true that by paying for kills you're paying for helping your team and in turn winning and getting a multiplier, but what people do not realize is no one breaks out their good gear until their team spontaneously gets a x2, in an attempt to try and keep the multipliers stacking. And repair fees usually are debt until about x3-x4 (and that gold is gone quickly when the next few rounds go at x1).

My suggestion:
In reality, if an army wins a battle, repair fees are usually paid for by the spoils of war. So my suggestion was, if your team wins you should not have to pay for upkeep that round. If you lose, its what currently happens.

What this will do:
More people will gear up during x1 knowing they'll have a chance of not paying for the damages. This will cause people to wear their best and play their best while still working as a team. Peasants wont be targeted anymore than they are now because they barely do harm and end up being a waste of time. Being beefed up and killing a peasant will be useless, they'll just save the kill for the less geared players while they focus on not paying their bills :P

I don't know about you, but fighting to not have to pay 20kg a round seems worth it. It creates more competition without creating greed.

Please feel free to express your feelings or build upon this. I can't really come home and kill a few hours on this game having fun without getting my ass kicked for a few days first which is incredibly boring.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:35:39 am by frell »

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
Re: Spoils of war
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 06:42:49 am »
well the problem is that this only helps the winner. the loser eats it. this is great for battle, but what about siege?

truthfully, theres a number of people in a game to look for here.

1. True winner, one who wins despite of a winning team
2. False winner, one who wins because of a winning team
3. False loser, one who loses because of a losing team
4. True loser, one who loses despite a losing team

the current system addresses all 4, albeit in an equally disadvantageous way.
your system would only help 1 and 2.

my take on it is that if you cant help your team, go play a different game, so here is my take;

Gold bonuses for kills should be re-added, even if there is no xp. this way, anyone who is half way decent, or can at LEAST participate with a team and get a back shot in now and again should be rewarded with a little extra gold. to offset repairs.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:53:43 am by Soldier_of_God »

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 07:14:41 am »
Gold bonuses for kills should be re-added, even if there is no xp. this way, anyone who is half way decent, or can at LEAST participate with a team and get a back shot in now and again should be rewarded with a little extra gold. to offset repairs.

Release the hounds! The peasant hunt is on once more, my friends!

Seriously though, when this "new" xp/gold system first came out, I was all for the idea of adding some kind of reward based on personal skill rather than just the multiplier (which is influenced heavily by your team). I have since been talked over by the other side. Rewards for kills would just kill the support classes and lead to the aforementioned peasant hunt. Why punish all the close ranged support and stabby polearm guys who cause the enemy to drop his block only for the tincan with the big weapon to steal the kill. In the same vein, why reward all the tincan spammers who are out hunting kills while their team desperately struggles to survive/protect the flag/whatever.

If there was a good way to reward skill, I'd say go for it, but kills do not equal skill.

Which brings me to my next point: bring back gold and/or xp for the duel server! At least on the duel server skill is reasonably easy to define. Just make it based on your lvl and the lvl of the player you defeated. Kill a peasant while you are lvl30, get 1 gold. Kill a lvl 30 while you're a peasant, get 100 gold. Maybe also throw in some kind of kill/death ratio element, so that challenging the good players and beating them nets you more gold than beating some random scrub that just started playing.

Offline Frell

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:59:30 pm »
What about keeping the current system dominant, but gaining 1-10g per kill DEPENDING on how much armors worth the other player is wearing? Peasants would be worthless if you could kill a knight and get a full 10g.

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:52:59 pm »
(...) bring back gold and/or xp for the duel server! At least on the duel server skill is reasonably easy to define. Just make it based on your lvl and the lvl of the player you defeated. Kill a peasant while you are lvl30, get 1 gold. Kill a lvl 30 while you're a peasant, get 100 gold. Maybe also throw in some kind of kill/death ratio element, so that challenging the good players and beating them nets you more gold than beating some random scrub that just started playing.
That is a good idea, I would start going on duel servers then.

What about keeping the current system dominant, but gaining 1-10g per kill DEPENDING on how much armors worth the other player is wearing? Peasants would be worthless if you could kill a knight and get a full 10g.
If you are idea is to discourage peasant massacre, you got it wrong: people would hunt them even more; yes just to get a single coin.

Offline Frell

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:31:04 pm »
I just wait repair to be nerfed, its wayy too expensive and the armor really isn't that great. It just looks good.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 04:51:10 am »
i'm pretty sure there is already some sort of lowered chance of repair for victors.  I notice ALOT less repairs winning than I do losing.

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 06:55:28 pm »
Gold for doing damage is the best idea, more damage done the more gold you get. Makes sence.

Offline Frell

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 09:57:46 pm »
everyone claims it will create greed though.

Gold per kill renders support classes useless

% of damage as gold would work though

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 10:43:05 am »
Gold per kill renders support classes useless

Not if there would be an "gold reward area" like in the first version of c-RPG. Then assist classes who stand close from a kill would gain gold as well. See also that this would encourage peasants to participate to the actions and, reciprocally, discourage leeching.

I really support the idea of gold per kill (+ assist) and XP per minute.
- XP per minute so no one is penalized and stuck at low levels for ever. That is important to let the mod open to new players.
- Gold per kill (+ assist) + a lump sum at the end of the round (more for victory, less for defeat, possibly with the multiplier bonus).

Offline Frell

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 01:17:49 pm »
Id rather have an assist system.

Frell =|=======> Billy bob joe                                               would be 20g
Frell + Superarcher >>---------------->     hugawaga                10g to each of the top damage do'ers

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 05:09:35 pm »
Not if there would be an "gold reward area" like in the first version of c-RPG. Then assist classes who stand close from a kill would gain gold as well. See also that this would encourage peasants to participate to the actions and, reciprocally, discourage leeching.

I really support the idea of gold per kill (+ assist) and XP per minute.
- XP per minute so no one is penalized and stuck at low levels for ever. That is important to let the mod open to new players.
- Gold per kill (+ assist) + a lump sum at the end of the round (more for victory, less for defeat, possibly with the multiplier bonus).

So assist classes like crossbows and archers would have to be extremely close and render the sole point of their class useless?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 05:29:10 pm »
Xbowmen and archers would collect gold per kill and, if they stand side by side, they would even collect some gold from the kills of theirs fellow archers (exactly like it worked in the old c-RPG). So, no, it would not make their class useless.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 05:31:14 pm »
I miss the old days lol  :wink:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 06:11:05 pm »
I just wait repair to be nerfed, its wayy too expensive and the armor really isn't that great. It just looks good.

Its really pretty lenient, so long as you have around ~40,000 gold worth of equipment you are using, you should be making money overall.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol: