Author Topic: flamberge sheatable?  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
flamberge sheatable?
« on: May 16, 2011, 08:53:24 pm »
why can't the flamberge sheat? there is no reason to make it unsheatable, many weapons as long as the flamberge can be sheated like the GLB, LHB and so on. it's a real disadvantage when your using it, not even because you can't equip another weapon but also that if a Flamburger has riding skill he can't use it allong with his flamberge. and maybe it's the sheating animation of the 2handed weapons but that can be changed to a polearm sheating one.

think, post and disscus!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
Re: flamberge sheatable?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 08:59:34 pm »
No.
It's the only 2 hand weapon unsheathable, beacause of it's extreme weight combined with it's size. You mustn't only take in account the size, but also the weight, also, a big piece of wood is more easily sheathable than a sword with 46 cut on it's edge. Just how do you want to be able to sheath that thing ? It will obviously fall on the ground ripping your back on the same occasion.

Edit: Added the "h", thanks Tears for the vocabulary, clearly missed it. Sorry for readers offunded.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:09:11 pm by Bulzur »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:01:28 pm »
Sheathable

I don't care if I get backlash, it had to be said...

Sheath is the new Rogue...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:03:19 pm »
I miss the days when you could stuff a flamberge down your trouser leg.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:10:13 pm »
Sheathable

I don't care if I get backlash, it had to be said...

Sheath is the new Rogue...

Rouges shouldn't be so upset they can't sheat theire flamberge anymore.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:11:22 pm »
No.
It's the only 2 hand weapon unsheathable, beacause of it's extreme weight combined with it's size. You mustn't only take in account the size, but also the weight, also, a big piece of wood is more easily sheathable than a sword with 46 cut on it's edge. Just how do you want to be able to sheath that thing ? It will obviously fall on the ground ripping your back on the same occasion.

Edit: Added the "h", thanks Tears for the vocabulary, clearly missed it. Sorry for readers offunded.
how are you able to sheat a danish greatsword then he? didn't really think about that post did you? :|

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 09:35:18 pm »
how are you able to sheat a danish greatsword then he? didn't really think about that post did you? :|

Easily, that sword is just not as big as flamberge :)    Imagine that there is an invisible line between those two, and that line determines the items is sheathablyness :P

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 09:55:35 pm »
Torches should be unsheathable unless you want to light yourself on fire, and ladders/siege shields should remain sheathable. You should also be able to sheath your horse too so you can avoid having it get killed when you realize you're charging towards spearmen or an arbalest, and to avoid the team stomping at the beginning of a round.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 07:16:31 am »
Easily, that sword is just not as big as flamberge :)    Imagine that there is an invisible line between those two, and that line determines the items is sheathablyness :P
my point of that post was that a greatsword also cuts in your back and about lenght, why can you sheath a LHB?

Offline CoWorm

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Conqueror_Worm, Nyarla
  • IRC nick: CoWorm
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 07:20:08 am »
Torches should be unsheathable unless you want to light yourself on fire, and ladders/siege shields should remain sheathable. You should also be able to sheath your horse too so you can avoid having it get killed when you realize you're charging towards spearmen or an arbalest, and to avoid the team stomping at the beginning of a round.

Yay for suicide torches, the classy way to go.

These pocket horses I'm not to sure about though, it doesn't involve stuffing them into tiny balls does it?

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 07:24:46 am »
Hafted Blade
weapon length: 153

Flamberge
weapon length: 152
Can't sheath

Despite the poor spelling, op makes sense. Either both should be sheathable or both unsheathable for fairness sake. Perhaps 150 should be the cutoff  point for sheathability.

P.S On the weight issue, somehow I doubt a weight of 4(flamberge) vs 2 (LHB) justifies the sheath/can't sheath
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:27:17 am by ShinySpoons »

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 11:09:01 am »
Hafted Blade
weapon length: 153

Flamberge
weapon length: 152
Can't sheath

Despite the poor spelling, op makes sense. Either both should be sheathable or both unsheathable for fairness sake. Perhaps 150 should be the cutoff  point for sheathability.
Both should be unsheathable. In fact, almost all polearms should be unsheathable - the Velcro attachment of sticks to people's back should end. The Flamberg is a polearm in the shape of a sword, too big to strap on to the back. 2H swords were carried on the back - not drawn from there, just carried for travel and drawn before combat. Nobody ever carried a spear on the back, it is completely impractical. Nobody ever went to combat with more than one pole weapon on him.

Unsheathable flag is the price to pay for a big weapon. There should be many more like this, including many of the 120 reach 2H swords. This poses no problem as long as you use it as your primary. For those that want it as a secondary, I am sorry, no xbow in hand + flamberg on the back for you. No switching back and forth between shield and flamberg/poleaxe either. A secondary weapon is a small one. 1H is no problem, 2H offer a few and polearms are all about primary weapons. If you go polearms, you should hybrid into 1H/2H to carry a second weapon: Pikemen carried a 1H sword as a skirmish weapon, not another polearm velcroed to the back.

Offline Kryser

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Teutonic
  • Game nicks: TwoTon_Feuer
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 11:13:37 am »
I agree with the op, 151 rum length and up should not be shitable.
Again, it was good fun playing with you guys. Kryser is one of the funniest motherfuckers I ever met btw. Cheesy Biscuits.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 01:29:40 pm »
If you want to use a horse, use a smaller sword, problem solved. /thread

Offline Radix

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • I blind my enemies with pure awesomenes
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Radox_II
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 01:46:09 pm »
Unsheathable flag is the price to pay for a big weapon. There should be many more like this, including many of the 120 reach 2H swords.

I smell 1h swords era coming