Author Topic: Knockdown, should only apply when you hit someone on the legs.  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
Re: Knockdown, should only apply when you hit someone on the legs.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 03:09:13 am »
my heart forgives you but my body says no
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 10:26:47 am »
unless by "certain parts of the body" you mean "certain parts of the legs", that doesn't have much to do with the op, which from what i gather is calling for a removal of knockdown chance from anything but leg shots. but if you do mean different parts of the body having their own chances of knockdown, that sounds great.

Yeah, my idea was to totally remove knockdown from torso/head hits, and allow it only when you get hit on the legs, BUT with a combination of what San and Jarlek wrote, I think knockdown will be better, but mostly it won`t be random.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 12:23:34 pm »
a good helmet, can easily reduce the pain that the hammer would inflict, while on the other hand, even a weak hit on your legs is capable of making you lose your balance

Dude that is a fucking mallet we are talking about here. Metal armor is good but it isnt some magical barrier that protects you from any weapon.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 12:26:44 pm »
Read my post again, I never mention that it will FULLY PROTECT YOU, I said, that a good helmet can reduce the PAIN, in other words reduce the damage.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 12:28:55 pm »
Read my post again, I never mention that it will FULLY PROTECT YOU, I said, that a good helmet can reduce the PAIN, in other words reduce the damage.

Yeah but pain and knockdown are two different things. It is not about how painful the hit can be, it can still send you falling.

And yea my bad, that is not mallet, it is a hammer, but still.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 01:55:15 pm »
+1
Definitely sounds like a good idea. We've been talking about knockdown modifiers for increased/decreased chances to certain parts of the body as well as a revised base knock down formula. Want it so that precise, strong hits in the correct areas are rewarded while preventing knockdown from random glances/weak hits.

This and making roll less finicky would make knockdown more interesting.

Agree with this. Knockdowns should be triggered by something the player has done, rather than random factors behind the scenes. So if you perform a specific action you get a knockdown, not a random chance on each hit

Which specific action results in a knockdown i'm not sure on though. Legs to me sounds like an idea just because they are often harder to hit with swings, especially with shorter weapons which knockdown weapons generally are.. Would be good if only held attacks knock down too, similar to crushthrough. These are all things that reduce the randomness while allowing the player to have an opportunity to make a decision about how to fight an opponent. If the player performs all the actions he could then have a higher chance to cause a knockdown.
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 04:55:03 pm »
+1
Yeah, it's this. I was thinking it was on the right track, not exactly what the OP says, sorry if I confused anyone. There are many different hit locations that have a numerical value, that's why I wasn't too specific since I didn't remember them all, but generally the head and leg area for increased and a few other areas for decreased.

@Jarlek

The current maximum damage you need to do maximize knockdown is 20-40 raw. 40 raw can be reached with 2-3PS with a mid-damage blunt weapon. Just going to increase it to normal damage ranges, not really making it so only strength builds can ever get knockdown. At this point, we can't do much other than fix the formula since this is a WSE thing and only 1 person able to change all that.
I knew that already and I don't really want that to change. Doing lots of damage is already reward enough. People complaining about being knockdowned by a weak weapon 6+ times in a fight never seem to realise that they needed 6+ hits to die in the first place. A weapon that needs that many hits to kill is hardly "OP" no matter how good their knockedown chance is. Having us choose between two weapons, one with good damage but low knockdownchance and the other with medium damage and decent knockdown chance is better than always taking the highest damaging one. Don't make raw damage be important for knockdown chance. Weight and speed (negatively, higher speed = less chance) would be better than just increasing the raw damage requirement.

Although I would still prefer having held attacks and where on the body it hits be the main factors. But cmp is busy with others stuff :(
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 06:24:04 pm »
+2
If we stick with the formula I proposed, leg and head hits will have increased chance, while body hits will have less.
Change the knockdown formula so that leg and head hits use formula 1 and all other hits use formula 2.
Formula 1: (rand(0.0, 1.0) + .05 < min(item_weight * 0.33, 2.0) * min((raw_damage - 40.0) * 0.2, 5.0) * 0.015)
Formula 2: (rand(0.0, 1.0) < min(max(item_weight * 0.33, 1.0), 2.0) * min(max((raw_damage - 40.0) * 0.5, 5.0), 15.0) * 0.015)
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 09:23:45 pm »
Knockdown should be 100% chance if you hit a male char in his manhood.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 10:04:41 pm »
+1
Knockdown should be 100% chance if you hit a male char in his manhood.
Buff testicle hits.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 10:19:42 pm »
While we are on it:
Can we please change crushtrough so it gives a 100% knockdown but doesn't deal damage when blocked??
It just feels so wrong that I loose 3/4 of my HP when a great maul hits my shield.
It feels justified to go down for short but ther should be a difference whether the shield is up or not.
When crushtrough is not blocked I am OK loosing HP and getting knocked down.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 10:25:20 am »

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 01:03:34 pm »

Bullshit!
I only want to have a difference between "shield up" and "shield down".

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 01:06:34 pm »
Bullshit!
I only want to have a difference between "shield up" and "shield down".

There is already. I don't know exactly by how much the damage is reduced, but you don't take as much when you block. And more importantly, it's exactly the reverse of what you suggest. Right now blocking a crushthrough blow will prevent you from falling.

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 01:08:35 pm »
There is already. I don't know exactly by how much the damage is reduced, but you don't take as much when you block. And more importantly, it's exactly the reverse of what you suggest. Right now blocking a crushthrough blow will prevent you from falling.
right now I loose halve or more HP when I block a maul. so two hits kill me whether I block or not. so there is no difference between block or not.