Poll

Vote for all that you feel apply...(up to 12)

All things are relatively balanced
51 (4.2%)
2h is OP
53 (4.4%)
4d Poles are OP
28 (2.3%)
2d Poles are OP
45 (3.7%)
Melee Cav is OP
51 (4.2%)
Ranged Cav is OP
100 (8.2%)
Xbow is OP
116 (9.6%)
Archery is OP
69 (5.7%)
Throwing is OP
78 (6.4%)
1h (w or w/o shield) is OP
41 (3.4%)
2h is UP
11 (0.9%)
4d Poles are UP
9 (0.7%)
2d Poles are UP
10 (0.8%)
Melee Cav is UP
12 (1%)
Ranged Cav is UP
10 (0.8%)
Xbow is UP
13 (1.1%)
Archery is UP
19 (1.6%)
Throwing is UP
17 (1.4%)
1h (w or w/o shield) is UP
21 (1.7%)
Team Balancer is broken...
104 (8.6%)
EXP System is broken...
88 (7.3%)
Game Modes need work...
69 (5.7%)
-- STABS (all weapons) are OP! --
102 (8.4%)
Fire Magic is OP
96 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 292

Author Topic: Overall Balance Poll : Q1 2014 (VOTE AGAIN, POLL UPDATED)  (Read 6424 times)

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
Re: Overall Balance Poll : Q1 2014 (VOTE AGAIN, POLL UPDATED)
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2014, 07:49:11 pm »
What if you nerfed speed bonus for everyone with thrusts, but found a way to keep 1/2 directional poles decent?

Poles should be stabbing masters when 2/1 directional. Otherwise stabs could do with a nerf across the board.
It's possible. It would mean reducing the melee speed bonus exponent which would have affects for all melee under nearly all situations. Because of this, we'd need to slightly increase the damage on all melee weapons(not just for thrusts) while giving larger bonuses for the thrust-oriented weapons. Minimum damage would be increased while maximum damage reduced, for all swing directions and classes(including cav). You could also argue, that this would be a nerf to player skill.

Not saying we plan to do this, or are even talking about it, I'm just stating the possibility.

chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2014, 07:56:07 pm »
+1
TBH my main gripe with thrusts is the 1 hand stab. I play all melee classes, it just feels wrong when I use it and it makes ranged too strong in melee
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2014, 07:56:34 pm »
Nothing in this shit game is OP. Your opponent's skill set and your ego are the problem.

Truly hope this and other comments like it are directed at the population as a whole and are not specifically directed at me for having created this poll...as the intention of the poll was to get a snapshot of the entire population's sentiments about balance and not to express my own opinions on what is OP or not (which are few, because I know I am only so good and therefore cannot make gratuitous claims about balance).

But if this (and the others are)...well, then this...
(click to show/hide)
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2014, 08:04:01 pm »
+2
So far the things the population seems to think are that:

- Stabs from all weapons are OP
- Ranged Cav is OP
- Xbow is OP
- Throwing is OP
- Team Balancer is broken...
- Game modes need work
- EXP system needs work
- and that fire magic is OP...please tell me an admin added this cause I did not add this option  :shock:

Huh... I voted for all of those, and only those. I would have voted for 2D poles but didn't notice it at first. Also those flying carpets and fireball-shooting staffs are indeed OP.

(click to show/hide)

EDIT: Sheeeeeeeeit... I had typed about 3 paragraphs before this and it didn't post.  :cry:

Basically, siege >> TDM. TDM (or maybe FFA?) was around back in the day... had lower population than siege does now, and that's when people actually played. Siege is better since it gives you a purpose. If you die, but save the flag from being capped, gj, you may not have killed a single person, but you held back the attackers, won the day, and are now a hero. TDM was all about rewarding the best killers... not at all how this game should work. Each game mode needs to have some kind of strategy or teamwork requirement. You might think that in TDM you can group up, but with scattered spawns, and people dying and coming back at different times, it is less organized than siege.

Also I forgot I voted for melee cav... mostly because 1h/2h cav is ridiculous... the range increase *cough ghost reach cough* on swings is insane. There is no reason a 1h or 2h sword should 1hit kill me when getting skewered by a lance does barely half... and that is pierce damage. A decent cav player (devilize comes to mind) can absolutely abuse the shit out of bumb slashing, leaving anyone without a really long spear completely helpless. Not to mention that with a morningstar each bumpslash is pretty much guaranteed to oneshot anyone.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:12:57 pm by Jona »

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Sauce

• Duke
  • Renown: 597
  • Infamy: 83
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Remnants
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2014, 08:21:56 pm »
+2
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:25:02 pm by Sauce »

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2014, 08:33:28 pm »
+2
Gameplay mechanics other than "item balancing" need to take control finally.

I hear ya, which is why I added the last poll options about team balance, exp system, game modes, etc...

They are easily bigger issues than specific balance issues atm...but I fear that the crpg devs have moved on from making any major changes like that and will just be doing that in Melee instead now. 

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2014, 08:38:20 pm »
+2
Sigh, elindork. 1h with shield and without have to have their own separate category bud. Swashbuckling and shields are solo different they can't be in the same group

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2014, 08:43:42 pm »
+2
Sigh, elindork. 1h with shield and without have to have their own separate category bud. Swashbuckling and shields are solo different they can't be in the same group

I know, but there's like 25 categories already...

Also, I figured people would be voting on other stuff anyhow, which was correct :)

I love you though.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2014, 08:45:34 pm »
OK disregard :) feeling is mutual

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2014, 08:49:52 pm »
+2
I hear ya, which is why I added the last poll options about team balance, exp system, game modes, etc...

They are easily bigger issues than specific balance issues atm...but I fear that the crpg devs have moved on from making any major changes like that and will just be doing that in Melee instead now.

Ah, I forgot in my last post that one of my misplaced paragraphs rambled on and on about banner balancers... thanks for the reminder. Basically, I have mixed feelings with the damn broken thing. I hate that it could never have balanced gallonigher and myself, even if we were the only 2 from our clan in a 20-man server on the same team. This was one of the major reason he left... why bother being in a clan with your buddies if you are never on the same team? While I am sure the rest of the server was glad, it still really sucked being in our position. Ever since he left the clan, we have been on the same team as often, if not MORE often than before... makes no sense. On the flip side, I was really glad that if we both had really high scores relative to the rest of the population that we were split, since the balancer tried to preserve balance by splitting us. Okay, A for effort, unfortunately it doesn't do so consistently at all. The only time the score balancer ever takes precedence over the banner balancer seems to be when you have one or two stand out players. For example when KUTT stacks siege with 8 or so players at once, they will consistently stay on one team since they have a whole range of skill sets. EVen if the server has only 20 players, odds are almost all of them are on one team, save for maybe 1 or 2 tops. The problem here is, while a some of their members might not be topping the scoreboard, that could be for a variety of reasons... perhaps they are camping the flag, in which case they are arguably doing more for their team than the ones topping the boards. Or maybe they simply aren't as good as several other members of their team or the opposing team... having an off day or whatever. And yet the balancer keeps them together, since the numbers don't show their incredible value. Having 8 members in one TS to coordinate while you are playing against pubbies is a huuuuuuuuuuuuge advantage. Having 8 members of the same clan, no matter how skilled at combat each member is, is incredibly helpful. Especially when the server is so sparsely populated as it often is. Heck, even when not in TS, i just naturally work better with my clanmates since we all know how each other play by now, and how to best complement them.

While splitting larger banner stacks in half is pretty lame (I know first hand) it isn't all that bad. I've had just as much, if not more fun fighting against clanmates (since that allows for more good humored trash talking of each other) as alongside them. When a whole clan is together, they tend to actually play seriously, use strategy, etc, since you've got to "represent your clan well." What clan, when dominating an entire team wouldn't try at least a little harder than normal so that they don't get stomped by the pubbies?

TL;DR: Would be nice if sometimes banner balance took into account the fact that a large presence on one banner has inherent advantages. In siege often times one side is down by 2-3 players... this wouldn't be so bad if it was an entire clan vs. a slightly larger team. Unfortunately this isn't the case.

Edit: Huh... Elindork... can't believe I never thought of that before. I will have to keep that one in mind...  8-)

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2014, 10:28:24 pm »
This poll reflects the pervasive whining heard usually within 1 minute of joining a battle server. Which is of course what? Guess.... RANGED! Of course. So what devs need to do is make heavier expensive armors actually armor and not just act like extra health. They cost enough so they should provide actual protection against weaker ranged and not just act like they are made of cardboard.

Offline Pestdoktor

• Developer
  • Renown: 251
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereignty of Aegis, Wolves of Fenris, Burg Krems
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2014, 10:34:49 pm »
 Missing Fire Magic is UP option...

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2014, 11:55:32 pm »
+1
IMO leave combat as it is!

I do as good as any melee class as the other and have hard times with the same people.

Make crossbows reload time longer. Deticated crossbows that don't run or use bs combat tactics don't deserve a nerf I imagine most people want.

Make all throwing lose bonus vs shields for all but axes. Slight decrease in accuracy while moving.

HX is nerfed enough as is

HA should loose accuracy/damage the more they turn around to look behind themselves. It would make them want to turn towards the cav chasing them and thus making it easier to catch them

Gmnotutu gets flaming katana in exchange for all of his looms

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:34:25 am by Jack1 »
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline sjarken

• Baron
  • Renown: 112
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Sjarken
  • IRC nick: Sjarken
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2014, 12:23:30 am »
+1
Please find a way to lower the amount of archers/xbowers in this game. Or balance the teams with the same amount of ranged/cav/mele.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2014, 12:48:06 am »
Thrusts can not only hit players faster(earlier in the animation), because of speed bonus mechanics, you can easily obtain double or even triple the speed bonus of a swing.
Double or triple the speed bonus of a swing, are you sure about that?
It might work completely different in c-rpg, but in Native singleplayer the maximum speed bonus I could achieve against static target is 36% with thrusts and like 33% with sideswings (not sure if numbers are 100% correct, but the difference was that small).
Really, though, it's not much that stab damage is too high, but landing a stab is too easy comparing with other attacks, especially in ganks, which makes mass melee less interesting and more frustrating.