Author Topic: Xbow with 1 hand is OP  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Xbow with 1 hand is OP
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 10:08:10 pm »
Ive played a few gens of it on my main. It is pretty solid, but not by far a masterrace. I found it relatively boring. Cbow is pretty lame when it come to entertainmentvalue as far as im concerned.

This. The only drawback of 1h/crossbow hybrids is that the xbow part is boring as fuck. Beyond that, there's very little reason not to do it if you intend to be a 1h footman.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 10:00:15 pm »
This. The only drawback of 1h/crossbow hybrids is that the xbow part is boring as fuck. Beyond that, there's very little reason not to do it if you intend to be a 1h footman.

I'm 0-slot 1h+shield+heavy xbow, but the xbow takes so long to reload that I usually drop it and jump into melee anyway, since you can kill much more quickly in melee. So now I only bring the xbow during the first life on siege defense, so maybe 10% of the time. You just miss too much action while reloading on siege. I don't play battle, but I hear with the new MOTF that the situation is similar there.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 12:05:09 pm »
Still, the fact that it's boring doesn't make it less overpowered.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 02:03:52 pm »
+2
Still, the fact that it's boring doesn't make it less overpowered.

Overpowered? You move like snail, your reload times are abysmal, your upkeep is godawful, and you divide your wpf into two different categories. If it bothers you people too much then why dont you nab some thrown to counter it?

I can understand why people cry about archers, facing constant arrow spam sucks, but crying about 1H/Xbow, Who are at serious upkeep and reach disadvantage seems stupid to me.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline bavvoz

• Earl
  • Renown: 323
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Bavvo
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 03:11:12 pm »
What kind of gear do u use if u think xbowers have high upkeep?

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 03:11:51 pm »
Overpowered? You move like snail, your reload times are abysmal, your upkeep is godawful, and you divide your wpf into two different categories. If it bothers you people too much then why dont you nab some thrown to counter it?

I can understand why people cry about archers, facing constant arrow spam sucks, but crying about 1H/Xbow, Who are at serious upkeep and reach disadvantage seems stupid to me.

Bolded part : wat

Also throwing counters xbowers just about as much as shields do.

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 04:39:29 pm »
+1
...You move like snail...
Have you tried archery? On hi lvl with 9 ATH lots of ppl are able to catch me. Kiting (read: run away, shoot, run away, shoot) is impossible even for me with quite op bulid (18/27). Some sort of kiting is possible if a str whore with max 2 ath wants to catch me.

Arbalest + steel bolts= 10.6 weight  (ready to shoot)
one quiver of arrows= 10 weight  (wait, i need a bow to shoot)

So argument move like snail is not an argument in this conversation  8-)

Archer forever :D

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 04:50:39 pm »
Have you tried archery? On hi lvl with 9 ATH lots of ppl are able to catch me. Kiting (read: run away, shoot, run away, shoot) is impossible even for me with quite op bulid (18/27). Some sort of kiting is possible if a str whore with max 2 ath wants to catch me.

Arbalest + steel bolts= 10.6 weight  (ready to shoot)
one quiver of arrows= 10 weight  (wait, i need a bow to shoot)

So argument move like snail is not an argument in this conversation  8-)

That mean the decission of nerfing archers adding insane weight to quivers is an error. Because an archer is a skirmisher by nature, but devs, after the forum "nerf ranged 2013" shitstorm, decided to break the class. Another example of crpg disease of nerfing all things that can breath. I hate archers. I hate you all. But this is no reason to nerf you. Because all the 2h&pole pop think that they are the only true faith and there is no skill on ranged. Only click & shoot. :mad:

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 08:31:36 pm »
I think archers are class in this game with biggest numbers of nerfs, some of them were good, some of them not.

I think bringing back ladders to game would be nice after amount of nerfs we got.
Archer forever :D

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 08:55:10 pm »
If I was a crossbowman, I wouldn't take a 1h weapon, I'd take a +3 Langes Messer in 2h mode. Similar stats to a Katana, but with a much more damaging thrust (albeit with the polearm thrust animation). A 1h sword may have a better thrust animation for certain situations, but the sideswing damage with 5PS is laughably low on anyone with decent armor. If you are facing a crossbowman with a stabby 1h sword, you know he's going to be relying on thrusts attacks, so just downblock/facehug like you would against a hoplite.

An xbowman with a 2h Langes is equally deadly with all four attack directions, so they are much less predictable to fight.

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 10:56:13 pm »
If I was a crossbowman, I wouldn't take a 1h weapon, I'd take a +3 Langes Messer in 2h mode. Similar stats to a Katana, but with a much more damaging thrust (albeit with the polearm thrust animation). A 1h sword may have a better thrust animation for certain situations, but the sideswing damage with 5PS is laughably low on anyone with decent armor. If you are facing a crossbowman with a stabby 1h sword, you know he's going to be relying on thrusts attacks, so just downblock/facehug like you would against a hoplite.

An xbowman with a 2h Langes is equally deadly with all four attack directions, so they are much less predictable to fight.

I think not Phew. The best option (imo) is a blunt&pierce weapon. The lack of STR don't allow to land good hits. 2h animations are good but cut damage is not a friend of a low str char.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 11:04:20 pm »
I think not Phew. The best option (imo) is a blunt&pierce weapon. The lack of STR don't allow to land good hits. 2h animations are good but cut damage is not a friend of a low str char.

I hear ya, but the biggest drawback to maces/hammers/picks is that you have to be in kick range to hit anyone. Your typical crossbowman isn't going to have a lot of armor or HPs, so if they are kicked, they are probably dead. On a dedicated melee player, weapons like the warhammer present a favorable risk/reward ratio, since they have enough armor+HP to survive if they get kicked.

I'd rather need 1 extra hit to kill someone with a 2h Langes, but never have to expose myself to the risk of being kicked.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 12:17:44 am »
+2
Crossbows are just as OP as melee characters investing in riding to get on horseback.

I my opinion you need at least 130 effective wpf in crossbow to make it worthwhile otherwise you want hit medium range target and it will break very often.

There is no reason to limit the melee capabilities of 1h crossbows, they are far from as good as dedicated melee characters. The draw backs are of course different depending on the build and equipment, but here are some of the draw backs I think 1h crossbows suffer from:

- low PS and low WPF combined with 1h weapon = very little melee damage (except for the crazy 1h stabs ofc)
- low armour to compensate for splitting wpf = poor damage resistance
 -(or even lower wpf if you choose to wear a medium/high end armour) = generally worse of in melee combat (you often get out spammed vs. dedicated melee builds because you cannot keep up)

Either way 1h crossbows suffer from a lot less damage or health/damage resistance than dadecated melee builds which in my opinion justifies the effective blend between melee and ranged.

Also: I am not really a crossbower, I have an alt crossbower, but that is all.
I think people should try playing the classes before they rage about them.