Author Topic: Xbow with 1 hand is OP  (Read 3109 times)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Xbow with 1 hand is OP
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:08:50 am »
+12
Pretty much no requirements
One handers are very good in their own right without adding ranged as well

A good melee player has the best of both worlds. Great ranged, decent armour, good melee. How is this a balanced class?
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
Re: Xbow with 1 hand is OP
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 12:14:40 am »
+4
i am still waiting for xbow skill required to use them (some sort of powerdraw)
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 12:31:15 am »
I disagree

-having to choose agility (not strength) to get sufficient wpf is enough of a deterrent for me.

-Should also mention that polearm or 2H should always beat 1H in a 1v1. Especially the heavier polearms such as long bardiche. 
Block Stun(weapon weight), reach, speed and damage

-Higher upkeep reduces the level of armour worn

-No shield (except bucklers ofc)

-No shield breaker, spear or mace sidearms. (I often carry multiple weps as 1H for different opponents)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 12:38:42 am by owens »
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 12:34:09 am »
+2

-Should also mention that polearm or 2H should always beat 1H in a 1v1. Especially the heavier polearms such as long bardiche.

I see no reason behind that.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 12:38:16 am »
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 12:44:57 am »

I dont think I follow.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 12:48:24 am »
Its kind of BS to say 1 handers should lose to 2 hand and pole. If it were true we wouldn't see so many 1 hand with shield around. The shield doesn't suddenly make 1 handers good, it actually can make fighting more awkward depending on the situation

1 handers are pretty balanced against 2 hand and pole imo (possibly too good in some ways). They all have pros and cons and if you are good at melee you will survive a long time with manual block and movement. Plus they have very good attacks too. They all got their weight increased not long ago so block stun is hardly an issue

The issue is you have not only a very similar character makeup in melee but you have very good ranged ability too thats not really that player skill based.
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 12:52:18 am »
+1
I use Long bardiche 90% of the time and when I fight 1H they rarely get a swing in unless they are a skilled player. The same goes for any of the weightier polearms or 2H.

By pausing and then hitting their block they are forced into attacking(unable to change block direction), using your reach advantage step back while swinging from another direction killing them.
(click to show/hide)

As 2H you have either reach, speed or weight. These will always be superior to your opponents weapons stats in some way. Exploit their weakness.

What it comes down to is that choosing to have no ranged counter you must be wary of high damage ranged attacks like crossbows however you will easily take them down in close quarters. Not to mention your possibly substantial wpf advantage
PK is back

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 12:52:42 am »
+3
Its kind of BS to say 1 handers should lose to 2 hand and pole. If it were true we wouldn't see so many 1 hand with shield around. The shield doesn't suddenly make 1 handers good, it actually can make fighting more awkward depending on the situation

1 handers are pretty balanced against 2 hand and pole imo (possibly too good in some ways). They all have pros and cons and if you are good at melee you will survive a long time with manual block and movement. Plus they have very good attacks too. They all got their weight increased not long ago so block stun is hardly an issue

The issue is you have not only a very similar character makeup in melee but you have very good ranged ability too thats not really that player skill based.

I agree. There is no reason why 1H shouldnt win 1VS1 against 2H/poles if the user is good. What 1H lack in punch and reach, they make up in speed.

I use Long bardiche 90% of the time and when I fight 1H they rarely get a swing in unless they are a skilled player. The same goes for any of the weightier polearms or 2H.

If it is 1H without shield, you cant use the reach of your weapon to your advantage because their movement speed is higher.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 12:58:10 am by Nightmare798 »

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 01:04:36 am »
+2
I have 63 body armour and 69hp that might bias my view of 1H swords a little.
Can I ask how much body armour you use? All 1H attack direction but stab barely hurt me. My understanding was that average NA armour was around 65.

I understand your argument. Getting the 3 shield skill required to counter xbow is more of a sacrifice than that of the xbowman. My argument is you have superior weaponry, however if you haven't learnt how to fight against 1H this might be of little use to you.
PK is back

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 01:10:21 am »
I have 63 body armour and 69hp that might bias my view of 1H swords a little.
Can I ask how much body armour you use? All 1H attack direction but stab barely hurt me. My understanding was that average NA armour was around 65.

I understand your argument. Getting the 3 shield skill required to counter xbow is more of a sacrifice than that of the xbowman

With 63 armor, you cant expect to use reach advantage over anyone without shield, especially while long bardiche.

And tbh, I never met anybody whose armor I couldnt pierce while using my long espada. Yeah slashes are gong to be a bit of problem, but stabs? Nope.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 01:34:40 am »
espada would be stun locked

I should mention its a +3 set so its weight is low. I still stand by 1H being ata substantial disadvantage in a fight vs 2H or polearm
PK is back

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 01:42:33 am »
Pretty much no requirements
One handers are very good in their own right without adding ranged as well

A good melee player has the best of both worlds. Great ranged, decent armour, good melee. How is this a balanced class?

This. I could trade 30 or 50 of my 184 wpf and be very proficient at being a douchebag (using xbows) yet without losing much of my melee capabilities because melee wpf isn't worth much anyway. And even though calling 1h no shield "good melee" is a bit of a leap when obviously it's the worst kind of melee, it's not that far behind everything else. The worst thing about this isn't that they can decently use 1 slot weapons, but that they can get a 1 slot shield and a 0 slot 1h and turtle for years as soon as you get into melee range, giving you plenty of time to die from other sources of damage before their shield breaks. Xbows should have a skill requirement.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 11:56:55 am »
espada would be stun locked

I should mention its a +3 set so its weight is low. I still stand by 1H being ata substantial disadvantage in a fight vs 2H or polearm

You completely forget that you get stun locked too when you land an attack that is blocked, forcing you either to block the next one, or try to push a second attack while the enemy is attacking you. And that IS suicide against someone who is faster (both movement speed-wise and weapon speed-wise) and whose weapon practically ignores armor.

Offline bavvoz

• Earl
  • Renown: 323
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Bavvo
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 12:16:38 pm »
+2
After a few gens xbow + 1h i can only agree. xbows should imo require more str to reduce the ridicilous agility.