Author Topic: Please add one handed unbalanced weapons.  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: Please add one handed unbalanced weapons.
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 03:18:46 pm »
Buff 1h mode of 2h weapons, then make them all unbalanced in 1h mode.

Weapons like the Langes Messer gain +3 cut, +1 speed, and +2(?) thrust when going from 1h->2h mode. Just apply the same logic in reverse, but with larger penalties. How about the following stats for Longsword in 1h mode?

Longsword (1h mode)
32 cut
21 pierce
94 speed
Unbalanced

This makes it just slightly worse than the Arabian Cavalry Sword, instead of massively worse like it is now. The same penalties to Morningstar would yield:

Morningstar (1h mode)
33 pierce
87 speed
still unbalanced

Still pretty crazy damage, but ridiculously slow for a 1h, so I don't think it would be OP.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 03:54:03 pm »
Buff 1h mode of 2h weapons, then make them all unbalanced in 1h mode.

Weapons like the Langes Messer gain +3 cut, +1 speed, and +2(?) thrust when going from 1h->2h mode. Just apply the same logic in reverse, but with larger penalties.
Doesn't work like that. Unlike other things, bastard sword with a shield isn't a "mode" so it doesn't have its own dedicated stats, it simply has modifiers(percentage based penalties) and the modifiers have to be the same for every weapon, so some will be hit harder than others(speed penalty becoming a larger factor for the morningstar than the bastard swords as an example). Can't do the unbalanced thing either, I believe, due to the above.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 04:05:33 pm »
Doesn't work like that. Unlike other things, bastard sword with a shield isn't a "mode" so it doesn't have its own dedicated stats, it simply has modifiers(percentage based penalties) and the modifiers have to be the same for every weapon, so some will be hit harder than others(speed penalty becoming a larger factor for the morningstar than the bastard swords as an example). Can't do the unbalanced thing either, I believe, due to the above.

What is the current penalty, -33% dmg, -25% speed? Could that just be changed to -15% dmg, -10% speed or similar? Basically whatever makes the 1h longsword just slightly worse than the ACS, which hopefully keeps the Morningstar from being too good in 1h mode.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 04:10:35 pm »
What is the current penalty, -33% dmg, -25% speed? Could that just be changed to -15% dmg, -10% speed or similar? Basically whatever makes the 1h longsword just slightly worse than the ACS, which hopefully keeps the Morningstar from being too good in 1h mode.
-15% damage currently and similar speed I believe, for the shield penalty. Regardless, the numbers are being lowered when you use one of these weapons with a shield while not being atop a horse.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 04:17:48 pm »
While on the subject, why can't you swing with the Estoc eventhough it only has 28 cut and similar length to Longsword?

Any plans to make other weapons usable with a shield?
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 04:46:01 pm »
+1
While on the subject, why can't you swing with the Estoc eventhough it only has 28 cut and similar length to Longsword?

Any plans to make other weapons usable with a shield?
Because otherwise you'd be able to thrust with it, and we have to consider how this plays from horseback. It would mean you'd have a 17 length longer Espada Eslavona(you wouldn't suffer penalties when thrusting from horseback without a shield on your arm). And no, not at this time.

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 09:40:26 pm »
for me there should be simple relation:
knockdown=unballanced, like in 2h
Archer forever :D

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 09:54:46 am »
for me there should be simple relation:
knockdown=unballanced, like in 2h

Realistically speaking, something like a warhammer was relatively easy to wield with 1 hand due to it being well-balanced and short. Warhammers wouldn't weigh too much more than a hefty modern household hammer that you use hammer nails and such. If you go and pick up your hammer, you will find that while sure, it is not nearly as wieldy as a sword, you can still easily stop it mid-swing. Let's not forget, that the odds of you being as well-practiced in such things as a dedicated knight are also pretty low. In crpg, the warhammer weighs 3.5kg, or ~5.5. pounds. This seems a little ridiculous to me, considering that the long hafted knobbed mace wieghs 2.8kg, or ~6.2 pounds. The LHKM is just over double the length of the warhammer and has a larger metal head on it. Now, despite the LHKM being wielded with 2 hands (in the polearm grip, not the 2 handed grip) it is labeled as unbalanced. Arguably, with the very small increase in weight, and the fact that you get the extra leverage from the 2nd hand's placement, there is no reason why this weapon would be unbalanced while the 1handed warhammer is balanced.

The only reason why polearm/2handed weapons with knockdown are un balanced are for purely gameplay balancing reasons, I would presume. Being able to feint spam with a much longer, deadlier mace would be pretty OP. Also, the very large weight of the warhammer, and the arguably light weight of the LHKM are also for balancing reasons would be my guess. If the warhammer and LHKM were each given their realistic weights, the warhammer would almost never knockdown, while the LHKM would be much more likely to, given the game's current knockdown formulas.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador