Author Topic: Middle Earth meets Assassin's Creed in Shadow of Mordor  (Read 10734 times)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
Re: Middle Earth meets Assassin's Creed in Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2014, 04:55:24 pm »
[...]
I think that's a valid argument, but I also believe the game should actually punish the player somehow when "failing" combat. In SoM the only failure is death, which is apparently extremely easy to avoid forever.
Which is a false statement about the game which you would know if you had paid attention before.
You have to fight bosses. When you flee bosses to survive, you make them stronger which is a punishment mechanism for the player.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2014, 05:05:46 pm »
Which is a false statement about the game which you would know if you had paid attention before.
You have to fight bosses. When you flee bosses to survive, you make them stronger which is a punishment mechanism for the player.

I didn't mean fleeing, I meant winning battles without dying.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2014, 05:41:12 pm »
Dying isnt punishing enough IMO.

+1 power level (except for newly created captains) doesnt do enough harm. +5 Would have been nice, because it basically gives them a tier promotion. But I guess that if you did this, there would be a possibility players can not finish the game anymore without mastering their abilities (15+ boss everywhere).
Dying is kind of a game feature to thicken the relationship between you and the orcs, which is nice, but could have been even more impactful. At the moment its just "advance time" with flavor  :P

Its the first game I play where there is no manual saving and dying are the main checkpoints...  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 06:51:48 pm by Butan »

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2014, 06:18:49 pm »
I didn't mean fleeing, I meant winning battles without dying.
I don't believe anyone in here who actually played the game managed to stay alive with 0 deaths... you simply don't, you die, even a lot at times.
Granted, probably everyone said that the end game is too easy when you get the uber skillz.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2014, 06:56:56 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have no idea what you are trying to say with this epic mene.
Are you by any chance trying to imply that the difficulty isn't potato? I mean, the best thing you could say about the combat is that it looks nice but unless you're 14yo, finishers will get boring.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2014, 07:12:12 pm »
+1
Granted, probably everyone said that the end game is too easy when you get the uber skillz.
Which is where self-discipline comes into play. Sure, it's far from an ideal solution, but it's an enjoyable game. I think it'll keep me amused for about 20 hours all in all, which is better than can be said about most SP games.

My issue isn't with people saying the combat could be more challenging, it's that they're bathing themselves in negativity as if it's some kind of a godly elixir, and their good points get overshadowed by things they're wrong about, in their enthusiasm to find nothing good to say about the game.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2014, 07:17:16 pm »
Dunno man, I finished it. Really, really liked this game. And im quite hard to please. Considering I dont like Batman nor AC very much, its pretty suprising. Wouldnt specifically call it game of the year, but its quite solid in my book.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2014, 07:28:25 pm »
Dunno man, I finished it. Really, really liked this game. And im quite hard to please. Considering I dont like Batman nor AC very much, its pretty suprising. Wouldnt specifically call it game of the year, but its quite solid in my book.

You can't like the game man that asshat on destructoid gave it a 6/10

It was certainly a nice surprise.  Would kill for a good game based on the Silmarillion

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2014, 07:45:39 pm »
Pretty much my thoughts too. Didn't like Batman or AC that much, but SoM is a nice time-killer.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2014, 08:10:55 am »
I don't believe anyone in here who actually played the game managed to stay alive with 0 deaths... you simply don't, you die, even a lot at times.

I've played about 3 hours so far and have yet to die. But it's a fun game regardless, mindless orc slaying. I like this whole deal with captains, the animations are good. Killing downed orcs takes a long time but I noticed I can get a skill that improves that.

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • dear god I hate throwers
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Faction: Dracul, RUFF RYDERS
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2014, 11:08:49 am »
Beat it earlier this morning. Very fun game, combat is very satisfying and the NEMESIS mechanic is awesome and definitely the star of the show. The story was a bit lacking and felt more like a sort of introduction to the skills but was fun nonetheless. I spent more time just doing the different events that branch from the NEMESIS system than I did doing story missions. And now that I've beaten it I'll probably still put some more hours into killing orcs and making my own army. Overall I'd give an 8/10. Lotta fun
I'm rock, nerf paper, scissors is fine. Welcome to c-RPG.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2014, 01:28:44 pm »
Oh man, i'd see why crappy games would have to go through with this kind of bullshit, but damn, why do this for such a game. What they did with the nemesis system is incredibly awesome, why can't they just put some trust into what they were pulling off, despite the downsides this game has.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2014, 02:02:40 pm »
I don't know what gamergate is, but that's really not the point of the article. It's about just one example of corporate domination over society, of which there are many more with varying degrees of import.