Author Topic: Middle Earth meets Assassin's Creed in Shadow of Mordor  (Read 10668 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth meets Assassin's Creed in Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #150 on: October 09, 2014, 02:15:07 pm »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/10/08/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-paid-branding-deals-should-have-gamergate-up-in-arms/

This would be revolting if the game was completely shit and they tried to make it appear as remotely good.

But since its good and they want to make it appear as such, I can only facepalm at the marketing move, it was completely useless and counter-productive to do such things.
"Do not show bugs/glitches and focus on nemesis system": I've yet to encounter a bug/glitch (there may be some) and the nemesis system is so innovative that the reviews WOULD HAVE talked about it on their own.

Shot themselves in the foot.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2014, 02:20:18 pm »
It's revolting anyway. It's weird to give them a pass just cause you like the game. More importantly, this can safely be assumed to be happening at large on a much greater scale in society as a whole. Not just video games. Not just things you happen to agree with anyway.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #152 on: October 09, 2014, 02:27:10 pm »
Honestly, those deals are happening since the first youtuber went viral with some silly Let's Play.
Wonder why there is such a fuss about it now when this has been public and known for ages.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #153 on: October 09, 2014, 02:28:56 pm »
Didn't something similar happen with the most recent J.K Rowling books? The non Harry Potter ones. If I remember rightly it was quite widely reported that only a select few reviewers were allowed early readership and that her lawyers/publicist forced these reviewers to sign stuff that meant they couldn't criticise the work for the privilege. Pretty obvious why. They were terrified the book wouldn't be good enough and wanted to sell as many copies as possible on the back of Rowling's name before reviewers came out with heavy criticism.

I guess it may have been a similar concept here. They were worried and wanted to sell copies based on the LOTR fandom before reviews came out criticising the game. It definitely shows a lack of faith in their product.

Stuff like this happens all the time and is hardly surprising.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 02:32:21 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2014, 02:35:16 pm »
Honestly, those deals are happening since the first youtuber went viral with some silly Let's Play.
Wonder why there is such a fuss about it now when this has been public and known for ages.

There is no fuss. That's the problem. It is and has been commonplace for ages. That's the problem. It's tacitly accepted and hardly surprising to anyone. That's the problem.

This isn't about being shocking to anyone. Your own acceptance and compliant attitudes about the state of things is what should be shocking. But we're all much too cool to be shocked by anything anymore. Too cool for school.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2014, 02:38:02 pm »
Nonsense.
I just don't see the point in getting my blood pressure up about shit that I can't change and can't be bothered by.
It's Youtube ffs :rolleyes:

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2014, 02:42:29 pm »
yes... youtube... that's all... whatever you gotta tell yourself to keep that blood pressure in check.

hey good luck, keep your head down, do what you're told to do, like what you're told to like, it'll all be fine. it's all fine.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2014, 02:46:14 pm »
+1
For a native to the English language you really do suck at reading comprehension if I may say so :lol:
Guess I am too much of a realist to get carried away by some minor bullshit. I am actually glad not to be one of those wannabe world changing hippies :D
Damn hippies... so annoying... all talk and only hot air...

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2014, 03:01:08 pm »
I don't want to change the world. I want you to be crushed under the yoke, willingly as you are.

Shadow of Mordor was pretty fun, as far as a tech demo goes.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2014, 03:01:26 pm »
Didn't something similar happen with the most recent J.K Rowling books? The non Harry Potter ones. If I remember rightly it was quite widely reported that only a select few reviewers were allowed early readership and that her lawyers/publicist forced these reviewers to sign stuff that meant they couldn't criticise the work for the privilege. Pretty obvious why. They were terrified the book wouldn't be good enough and wanted to sell as many copies as possible on the back of Rowling's name before reviewers came out with heavy criticism.

I guess it may have been a similar concept here. They were worried and wanted to sell copies based on the LOTR fandom before reviews came out criticising the game. It definitely shows a lack of faith in their product.

Stuff like this happens all the time and is hardly surprising.

It doesn't really matter with books or movies or other media products because the critics are so numerous and varied that there's no bottleneck with a wide influence over the audience. There's also the lack of an impression that some critics are above corruption because that dream is long dead when it comes to books and movies whereas in videogames the critics and the audience are much younger. Many more are subject to the illusion that reviewers are infallible.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2014, 04:28:36 pm »
+1
But then I suppose it's naive to think that the video game industry would go any other way than in the footsteps of other entertainment.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2014, 06:16:39 pm »

Eh? That sounds pretty... weirdly. She has sold around 500 000 000 HP books and her recent books were relesased under the nickname - not the best move to get highest publicity and sell as many books as possible. Doesn't seem to me she cares about critics any more.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2014, 06:30:16 pm »
...its an entertainment medium, none of this should be surprising.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 09, 2014, 07:44:00 pm »
Eh? That sounds pretty... weirdly. She has sold around 500 000 000 HP books and her recent books were relesased under the nickname - not the best move to get highest publicity and sell as many books as possible. Doesn't seem to me she cares about critics any more.

She did release one under her own name.

It was her crime ones or whatever that had a different name.

She may not care but the people making money off of her will.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2014, 05:39:29 am »
I don't typically pay for new releases, so I'll wait for a price drop if I ever decide to pick this up. I think fooling around with the Nemesis system would be fun.

I'll be preordering the Witcher 3 for $44 however :) I beat Witcher 2 on Dark Mode, Witcher 3 will be ezpz

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.