Author Topic: Middle Earth meets Assassin's Creed in Shadow of Mordor  (Read 12005 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth meets Assassin's Creed in Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2014, 11:32:41 am »
TB has made his video about this. Seems to correspond to my feelings so far.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2014, 12:11:03 pm »
This game is just hard as fuck imo. God damn it. Basically whatever you do you will always get ganked to shit. I murdered every single orc around and than went for the captain, without any alarms 2 more captain with 20 more guys just popped out from nowhere in less than 1 minute. And it happens always. I tried so many different ways to approach them but the orcs just always respawn instantly and when the captains got that asshole "combat-master" thing and they take forever to beat. Its to merciless for me to enjoy it. The orc instant respawnrate and occasionally unavoidable multiple captains at once fights made sure of that. In general, im not having fun at all. Its not that I dont like hard, its just that its kinda unavoidable to make it easier. I tried to kill captains in hugely populated bases by first stealthkilling all the guards and than going for the mainguy and by the time I wiped out one part of the base, in the last one in cleared out, the orcs already managed to respawn in less than 1 minute. Making stealth close to pointless at times where it could be the most useful.

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2014, 12:54:10 pm »
This game is just hard as fuck imo. God damn it. Basically whatever you do you will always get ganked to shit. I murdered every single orc around and than went for the captain, without any alarms 2 more captain with 20 more guys just popped out from nowhere in less than 1 minute. And it happens always. I tried so many different ways to approach them but the orcs just always respawn instantly and when the captains got that asshole "combat-master" thing and they take forever to beat. Its to merciless for me to enjoy it. The orc instant respawnrate and occasionally unavoidable multiple captains at once fights made sure of that. In general, im not having fun at all. Its not that I dont like hard, its just that its kinda unavoidable to make it easier. I tried to kill captains in hugely populated bases by first stealthkilling all the guards and than going for the mainguy and by the time I wiped out one part of the base, in the last one in cleared out, the orcs already managed to respawn in less than 1 minute. Making stealth close to pointless at times where it could be the most useful.

Then gtfo?
If you are getting outnumbered in such a fashion and killing one captain doesn't give you an edge (Always go for the captains in those fights, lots of orcses will run away if you make one flee or kill one), just run. Usually there will be another chance to get the orc you wanna kill, e.g. disturbing a duel/hunt/execution that he's doing.
You have to watch the situation very closely when getting gangbanged. Some captains have horns and the like to call reinforcements, orcs lighting the beacon are a must to kill and stealth killing the orcs in an stronghold at least lowers the chance of them calling reinforcements. They usually appear anyway, but it gives you a little more time to concentrate on the important target.

Or, come back later when you aquired more skills, runes, health. I don't think you are supposed to be able to kill everything right from the beginning =P

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2014, 01:19:54 pm »
+1
TB has made his video about this. Seems to correspond to my feelings so far.

So your feelings are that it has great animations, superb combat, awesome Nemesis system, very good voices and writing, a nice open world and that you gonna love it if you like "Batman combat"?
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2014, 03:51:10 pm »
So your feelings are that it has great animations, superb combat, awesome Nemesis system, very good voices and writing, a nice open world and that you gonna love it if you like "Batman combat"?

I didn't knew about voice acting and writing (and I don't care that much anyway), but my main point of contention with what other people said about the game was the graphics that were supposedly impressive even though in my opinion they aren't. He did not comment on whether the game is fun for more than a few hours so he kind of avoided one of my main concerns for a 50$ game which seems a priori quite repetitive (like many games with emergent content).

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2014, 04:14:19 pm »
I didn't knew about voice acting and writing (and I don't care that much anyway), but my main point of contention with what other people said about the game was the graphics that were supposedly impressive even though in my opinion they aren't. He did not comment on whether the game is fun for more than a few hours so he kind of avoided one of my main concerns for a 50$ game which seems a priori quite repetitive (like many games with emergent content).
He says several times that the game looks very good but he doesn't understand where the high VRAM comes from.
And he says that it is very fun IF you do like the Batman combat mechanics. That's what the game is about: Killing Orcs in a stylish and cool manner.

The game looks very nice and gives a good atmosphere. Most importantly for me, it is very polished. Even TB says the the QA made a very good job on this one.

If you think about getting it, make up your mind about the combat really. It boils down to that. When you're like me and love the Batman combat, then you gonna enjoy this game very much. If the combat mechanics don't excite you that much, wait for a discount/sale - it's worth playing in any case cuz that Nemesis system is really really cool.

Imagine GTA 6 having such a system for Cartell Bosses :o
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2014, 04:30:37 pm »

Just because someone is invulnerable to stealth, doesn't mean you can't take a stealthy approach. Many options are still available. Take out all of the lesser orcses (borrowing this fips) around the captains that way you only have to deal with them. Or instead of killing them, brand them and build up a small force to help you, lead the captains to random explosives, fires, animals, and other such traps around the place, etc etc. There are tons more options for you to use.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2014, 06:18:38 pm »
He speaks the truth about respawn and almost unavoidable combat (especially in strongholds).

If you cant make them leave the stronghold, the best way to kill them is to use their fears to make them run away and follow them, gut them.
Or try to kill everyone in one go, and thats hard without herbs and HP drain abilities.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2014, 06:43:47 pm »
+1
How can you even lose in this game? The only thing that is SOMEWHAT threatening are archers (ironic isnt it?) otherwise you can pretty much solo 40 orcs on your own.

Vut still, I love the combat, even if its kind of forced. And the custom generated orclings are awesome
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2014, 07:35:29 pm »
How can you even lose in this game? The only thing that is SOMEWHAT threatening are archers (ironic isnt it?) otherwise you can pretty much solo 40 orcs on your own.

Vut still, I love the combat, even if its kind of forced. And the custom generated orclings are awesome
How far are you into the game? The combat gets more challenging once there's tons of berserkers and shielder-spear guys.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Fips

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2014, 11:39:25 pm »
Nerded through the story just now and i'm not impressed, but it was a nice addition the lotr-lore all in all. I'm not gonna get into detail, because spoilers would be nasty so short after release, but it's worth the trip. And i will go back and will finish everything there is to this game, because it's just a nice experience overall.  :D

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2014, 11:48:52 pm »
Nerded through the story just now and i'm not impressed, but it was a nice addition the lotr-lore all in all. I'm not gonna get into detail, because spoilers would be nasty so short after release, but it's worth the trip. And i will go back and will finish everything there is to this game, because it's just a nice experience overall.  :D

For those who dorked it out and finished the story.
(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Fips

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2014, 12:17:01 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 622
  • Infamy: 1509
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2014, 08:48:36 pm »
+2

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2014, 09:49:20 pm »
I quess i went a little over my head back at the start. Ye now it got a lot easier. Unlocked 3 best(imo best) things in the last skillcategorytree. Took some time to unlock it thou and fights got way easier from there. The glowingswordthingy that increases attacks by 50% and the possibility of doing 2 specialmoves already at x5 kinda made things simpler. Also I took some story missions aswell to get that sweet brandingability unlocked and that helped too.