Author Topic: Conservation is the key  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Arnwald_TheDark

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Conservation is the key
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:02:53 pm »

Hellow fellow cRPG players & lovers,

I would like to suggest a game changer that already excists in other M&B:W mods and makes the game a lot more realistic & interesting.

Basicly what it does is slow you down when you get lower on health, not only in movement but also in swingspeed. It also applies to horses, when your horse is almost black barred it will only ride on 30% of its top speed. For players its on to 60% and 50% wpf cut, ofc it just doesn't drop down to said numbers when you get black barred, it gradually builds up the lower you or your horse gets on health.

This makes figthing more realistic since you will be less callous & jump rush in a blop of 8 players on your own with your 2H hero or awesome shield turning.

It will also create a better ballance between high end armors & low end armors since you're already slowed down due to the heavy armor & on top of that, if you are wounded you will slow down even more, but on the other hand light armor players will have less of an easy time just backpeddeling out every swing over prolonged and bloody fights.

Sincere greetings,
Arnwald

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Conservation is the key
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 08:53:18 pm »
+8
Nice suggestion but to me its one of those things that might sound good on paper but plays out quite differently. I think it would just create more frustration for the player and reduce the consistency you get with your character. Team wounding would be much more problematic and people might be too cautious so they don't hit a team mate, and people would punish more.

Ranged would kite so much easier since every hit would not only stagger you but make it harder to catch the player

Nah I think its one of those realism ideas that doesn't really translate into good gameplay personally

Prepare for downvotes btw, having different ideas here is not encouraged :D
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:35:32 pm »

Offline Arnwald_TheDark

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 09:38:48 pm »

If you can't handle ranged get a shield, thats what they did in RL or bring a siege shield to quiver behind.

Also TH's would still be nerfed by 50% so what are you complaining about then?

It would translate in better gameplay all round, less brainless charges & more tactics, maybe for once people might appreciate ranged instead of leaving them happing dust.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:43:01 pm »
+8
Oh no he brought out the get a shield card! Now you're in for it.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:19:22 pm »
+1
If we get at the same time an ability called like "adranaline rush or blood frenzy" which would be activated after a successfull kill and making you immune to weapon staggering for a limited amount of time.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Arnwald_TheDark

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 11:02:34 pm »
If we get at the same time an ability called like "adranaline rush or blood frenzy" which would be activated after a successfull kill and making you immune to weapon staggering for a limited amount of time.

Why add an abillity, if you are so afraid of ranged staggering, then a better suggestion would be to remove stagger on any ranged dmg since you already have the slowing effect of having less health.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:06:03 pm »
+2
Why add an abillity, if you are so afraid of ranged staggering, then a better suggestion would be to remove stagger on any ranged dmg since you already have the slowing effect of having less health.

And that would be realistic?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 12:00:00 am »
+2
When you start complaining about downvotes think about your get a shield comment

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 01:29:14 am »
+2
Fuck it, let's just add Magic. Magic and... and rain dances!
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1114
  • Infamy: 1138
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 01:34:33 am »
OP you're such a my old friendcher.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 06:18:16 am »
Fuck it, let's just add Magic. Magic and... and rain dances!
you never heared about blood lust, seeing red, rage attack ... descriptions of people in extraordinary situations, gathering their last bit of energy to struggle against all odds and get through the most dangerous situations? I dont care how you would name it, but adranaline is there for a reason f.e. to ignore pain so you can keep functioning. What would that be in terms of crPG 0_o well how about "they cut me or shot me, but i dont give a shit because i am on adranaline trip and want to fucking kill that dude who shot me ..." so ignoring the pain any arrow caused ... not feeling pain ... one last strike which kills the last ranged my old friend, while he keeps shooting me.

Now if thats magic to you, then we live in a very magical world indeed ^^.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 12:34:14 pm »
+2
Games should try to simulate those things in the actual players. Its never going to make you feel bloodlust, but artificially adding it into a game will end up very "gamey" and fake, which can actually make it less realistic. So they should just try to put people under pressure by creating punishments for dying (like having to lose your turn to play and wait a bit like with Battle and you multi).

Its not really realistic to have a uniform "bloodlust" because each person would act differently in the situation and there would be a slew of other emotions going on depending on the person/situation. If the game makers can some how make you feel something as you play that that is enough imo
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 01:15:39 pm »
Games should try to simulate those things in the actual players. Its never going to make you feel bloodlust, but artificially adding it into a game will end up very "gamey" and fake, which can actually make it less realistic. So they should just try to put people under pressure by creating punishments for dying (like having to lose your turn to play and wait a bit like with Battle and you multi).

Its not really realistic to have a uniform "bloodlust" because each person would act differently in the situation and there would be a slew of other emotions going on depending on the person/situation. If the game makers can some how make you feel something as you play that that is enough imo
at least i get a reasonale response from someone  :rolleyes:
I agree on the part, that certain artificial limitations which put pressure onto the player may give you a better feeling of immersion then benefits.

With staggering it is but a special case, i believe, when it would be lifted for say 10-20 seconds.
A very short timeline, within without interruption you can get a flow and rythem going within your attack and defense patterns as Melee player, while the pressure you have is that you know after 10-20 seconds if you didnt kill your oponent, the projectiles afterwards if not having killed you already may finish you anyways by kill or support/stagger.

So while you gain a passiv ability, which
1) after only you successfully killed a person,
2) you get a 10-20 seconds
3) immunity to only stagger

There are 3 limitations to the skill and due to the nature of them, there should be created an awarness, that the immunity is not lasting forever, therefor the pressure you mentioned.
If that now then is shown like with the cooldown of nudges or not at all, i dont care, the later might be better as hidden and implied and less hud distractions. Then again, for people it is often better to have a visual representation of a time based effect, to keep awarness.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 02:16:39 pm »
you never heared about blood lust, seeing red, rage attack ... descriptions of people in extraordinary situations, gathering their last bit of energy to struggle against all odds and get through the most dangerous situations? I dont care how you would name it, but adranaline is there for a reason f.e. to ignore pain so you can keep functioning. What would that be in terms of crPG 0_o well how about "they cut me or shot me, but i dont give a shit because i am on adranaline trip and want to fucking kill that dude who shot me ..." so ignoring the pain any arrow caused ... not feeling pain ... one last strike which kills the last ranged my old friend, while he keeps shooting me.

Now if thats magic to you, then we live in a very magical world indeed ^^.
Yeah, it's an adrenaline rush. Practically everyone in any sort of combat situation like what we have in cRPG, would be going through an adrenaline rush. If everyone has it, then essentially no one does.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character