Exams and school
32 (8.4%)
Mod too old brah
113 (29.7%)
Other games
68 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 379

Voting closed: January 30, 2014, 05:28:47 pm

Author Topic: Number of players declining  (Read 19104 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Number of players declining
« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2014, 10:21:38 am »
Thats why we have dtv :D A safeheaven where one can retreat to lick pridewounds and regain confidense :)

The problem is that nobody wants to play DTV with those guys in your team.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2014, 11:18:53 am »
Thats why we have dtv :D A safeheaven where one can retreat to lick pridewounds and regain confidense :)
Lol, this is so true.

Offline Smithy

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • immer Kameraden
    • View Profile
  • Faction: iK
  • Game nicks: iK_Smithy
« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2014, 12:00:54 pm »
+1
lol Jack just read your post.  I've definitely done that, a lot.  My main is pure 2h, and when I would feel the amount of ranged was causing people to leave the server, I would get on my HT alt (SCHUTZ) and exclusively hunt ranged.  One hitting most all of them.. +3 Arabian Warhorse, 7 riding +3 Jarids.  Once they agreed to leave and rejoin on a non ranged char, I'd do the same.   :lol:  Good times.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Testicleez

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Testicleez
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2014, 12:23:57 pm »
+11
It's ridiculous how tough it is to be a new player in this mod, especially now. I've tried to get some of my buddies to play, even telling them that they'll get destroyed for a LONG time before being able to do anything, but they simply couldn't bare it. I can't even imagine being an individual just now finding out about this mod (through Youtube or something), and trying to play. You'd get dominated so hard and it would really crush any motivation to keep playing. The majority of players still remaining in this mod have been playing for quite some time now, so we're not only ahead of the game skill-wise, we have higher-level characters with loomed gear. It's not like some regular FPS game where you can pick it up pretty quick, we're talking about a rare breed medieval combat game. The learning curve is so steep. Most people don't have much or any experience at all with this type of game. We have an insane advantage over them. It's inevitably going to be overwhelming for noobs.

I think a player's first character should start out at level 20 (25?), with 20,000 gold and a display/tutorial, suggesting to try out one of a few popular builds. Maybe 21/18 2H, tell them what character statistics they should select, explain what they mean, suggest medium armor + a bastard sword.

I've thought about this a lot, there's so many things they could do to help out new players. If anything, at least have a message displayed telling them what they're getting into. I feel like some noobs just walk into this mod blindfolded expecting to be a medieval knight ready to take on the world. I've been enjoying these patches and item additions lately, but this kind of change (a change helping new players stick with the mod) is long overdue...

But what do I know, I'm just Testi.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:35:18 pm by Testicleez »

Offline bavvoz

• Earl
  • Renown: 323
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Bavvo
« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2014, 12:41:56 pm »
+1
It's ridiculous how tough it is to be a new player in this mod, especially now. I've tried to get some of my buddies to play, even telling them that they'll get destroyed for a LONG time before being able to do anything, but they simply couldn't bare it. I can't even imagine being an individual just now finding out about this mod (through Youtube or something), and trying to play. You'd get dominated so hard and it would really crush any motivation to keep playing. The majority of players still remaining in this mod have been playing for quite some time now, so we're not only ahead of the game skill-wise, we have higher-level characters with loomed gear. It's not like some regular FPS game where you can pick it up pretty quick, we're talking about a rare breed medieval combat game. The learning curve is so steep compared to other games. Most people don't have much or any experience at all with this type of game. We have an insane advantage over them. It's inevitably going to be overwhelming for noobs.

I think a player's first character should start out at level 20 (25?), with 20,000 gold and a display/tutorial, suggesting to try out one of a few popular builds. Maybe 21/18 2H, tell them what character statistics they should select, explain what they mean, suggest medium armor + a bastard sword.

I've thought about this a lot, there's so many things they could do to help out new players. If anything, at least have a message displayed telling them what they're getting into. I feel like some noobs just walk into this mod blindfolded expecting to be a medieval knight ready to take on the world. I've been enjoying these patches and item additions lately, but this kind of change (a change helping new players stick with the mod) is long overdue...

But what do I know, I'm just Testi.

+1+1+1+1

Helping new players should be a priority! Start from lvl 20 is a good suggestion. I would even take it a step further and letting the main char get a +3 untradable item aswell.
Perhaps an option for them to have something that show visually they are new if they want to. I know alot of ppl would go easy on a new player

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #200 on: February 10, 2014, 12:45:29 pm »
I agree.. Give proper new players an easier entry. Also, it really sucks to have a thread named Number of players declining on top of the main forum..

Imo cRPG holds really really well. Sure there is a slight decline, but very slow and nothing massive. EU is still full of players at primetime and evenings, but over 4 years we go from 120 to 70/80 players on EU1 is not really terribad.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2014, 12:52:31 pm »
Whine thread.....

This is stupid, the player base have really increased lately, but everytime some dude gets sick of playing, hes has to come here an QQ....
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2014, 12:54:56 pm »

I know alot of ppl would go easy on a new player

But a lot of people would make them into valor piƱatas.
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 10, 2014, 01:04:46 pm »
+5
Total noobs should have no choice at all when they start the mod for the first time, with the possible exception of choosing a class between 1h, 2h and polearms. After choosing their class, they get a pre-made STF character with pre-selected equipment corresponding to that class. After playing for a while, they unlock the possibility to create a real character.

Choice is meaningless when you don't know the consequences and I think every new player should have to go through a pretty much linear tutorial of sorts to learn all the basics before being forced to make those choices without the necessary knowledge. Gear unlocks would also help with this.

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #204 on: February 10, 2014, 01:16:13 pm »

And siege; when i need to warm a bit or when i'm raging heavily and can't focus anymore siege is usually a good treatment.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2014, 01:16:32 pm »
I agree, that would be best. Let them choose between a few prebuilt characters starting at level 20, then go from there.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2014, 01:19:39 pm »
What this game lacks is a good soundtrack

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #207 on: February 10, 2014, 02:20:35 pm »
Why is nobody having fucking exams like me? Is everybody either 12 or 40 or are all the students ignoring the forum during the 'bloque'?

What a bad excuse you never study anyways procrastinating nab =D
Greetings from business school old chap =p
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #208 on: February 10, 2014, 02:21:47 pm »
Total noobs should have no choice at all when they start the mod for the first time, with the possible exception of choosing a class between 1h, 2h and polearms. After choosing their class, they get a pre-made STF character with pre-selected equipment corresponding to that class. After playing for a while, they unlock the possibility to create a real character.

Choice is meaningless when you don't know the consequences and I think every new player should have to go through a pretty much linear tutorial of sorts to learn all the basics before being forced to make those choices without the necessary knowledge. Gear unlocks would also help with this.

Brilliant
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #209 on: February 10, 2014, 02:34:27 pm »
+1
Prebuild STF characters really is a brilliant idear. They still would be able to create mains and alts though, but within the tutorial vid or some description texts it should be strongly adviced to first play with the STF chars and what the differances to normal chars would be.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future