Author Topic: Jedi Knight series appreciation thread  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Jedi Knight series appreciation thread
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 06:01:28 pm »
+1
Since I've just been through this, here's how to make Outcast/Academy work in widescreen:

Run both the singleplayer and multiplayer executables at least once, to generate config files. Go to <gameDir>\GameData\base.
Open jk2config.cfg and edit these lines:

seta r_mode "x"
Set this to -1.

seta r_customwidth "xxxx"
seta r_customheight "xxx"
Set this to your favorite widescreen resolution.

Add this line to the bottom of the file:

seta cg_fov "xx"

I recommend 90 for 16:10 resolutions, and 95 for 16:9 resolutions (default is 80).

Now do the same for jk2mpconfig.cfg.

cg_fov "bends" your screen, giving you a bigger angle of vision

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 193
  • Infamy: 1222
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 07:43:43 pm »
+1
Dark Forces II is way superior to both sequels story wise, but mechanics of both sequels are much better. Kinda like Morrowind>Oblivion>Skyrim. What made DFII: Jedi Knight special is level design that screams Star Wars, with huge levels (vertical design everywhere) with ton of enemies, much variety while staying true to SW lore; original soundtrack and sound effects and of course, story with many interesting villains and main protagonist who is basically a mix of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, coolest characters in original SW trilogy. Sequels lack these features because they weren't developed by internal Lucas Arts studios. Also, expansion lost some of the charm because FMV cut-scenes were replaced by in-engine cut-scenes. Those B grade actors were a bit cheesy, but still did a wonderful job portraying SW characters, especially Jason Court.

Outcast and Academy have awful story. Outcast has some lame lizard as main villain and Academy makes no sense, with Luke showing up (supposedly buddy of Katarn which is major LOL).

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1865
  • Infamy: 2304
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 09:33:54 pm »
First KotOR is a wonderful game with awful ending, but that ending is so real life it hurts. You can choose between good side and be royally fucked over by republic pricks and fake yodas who take all the credit for themselves while tapping you on the shoulder; or go dark side which is equally retarded with that stupid evil smile while standing on that balcony or whatever. In both cases you wear some stupid smile on your face, which shows you that both choices are huge pile of poo. Only proper choice made by Jolee Bindo, who lives as a hermit after he realized how everything regarding jedi/sith stink so much of horse poo.

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 05:50:59 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 05:58:48 pm »
+2
Movie Battles II mod for JK Academy is an awesome mod, I only ever install that game just to play that mod, epic stuff.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 1938
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 06:10:48 pm »
+2
Yeah a dinosaur, not a lizard. Dunno why it reminded me of a lizard. Jerec is much better, true Star Wars antagonist.

Offline Scervo

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 01:19:13 am »
+2
I still play Jedi Outcast multiplayer. I tried to move to JA because its more active, but its just not as good imo. I've been playing jedi outcast since i was about 9 years old.

Heres me playing in the third place match of a casual jk2 (JO) tournament about a year ago, starting at about 1:26:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Om39dHr67OI#t=5175

The activity levels fluctuate a lot, it goes through waves of activity but lately its been less :/ if you guys think crpg is dead, that games total community is less than the amount we have on at one time during some strat battles, and its been hanging on for years. JKA is still active I believe though.

I'm mostly done with JK2 now, but it'll always be my favorite game of all time. I've spent half of my life playing it and I love the community to death. In most games a clan is just sorta a tag; in that game my clanmates really did feel like family. Any time I hear the word nostalgia, JK2 in its golden days is what instantly pops into my head =P

Thanks for making this thread =)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:34:04 am by Scervo »

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 02:00:33 am »
A friend of mine created this map/minimod called Kyleball for JKA

Only map was needed, then the saber velocity had to be tweaked, and possibly force regen and stuff. Point was to get Kyle into the opposing team's goal, force grip was allowed only for goalie and force heal for other players. It was surprisingly easy to make a controlled shot towards the goal from one end of the field to another  :lol:  Good times.

Edit: and also, Movie Battles was awesome
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:06:41 am by Lennu »

Offline Scervo

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 02:10:24 am »
The community had some pretty talented modders/mappers/skinners/etc.

My clan had some pretty awesome forum signature makers too. Samples of stuff they did:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 10:49:36 am »
I still play Jedi Outcast multiplayer. I tried to move to JA because its more active, but its just not as good imo. I've been playing jedi outcast since i was about 9 years old.

Heres me playing in the third place match of a casual jk2 (JO) tournament about a year ago, starting at about 1:26:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Om39dHr67OI#t=5175

The activity levels fluctuate a lot, it goes through waves of activity but lately its been less :/ if you guys think crpg is dead, that games total community is less than the amount we have on at one time during some strat battles, and its been hanging on for years. JKA is still active I believe though.

I'm mostly done with JK2 now, but it'll always be my favorite game of all time. I've spent half of my life playing it and I love the community to death. In most games a clan is just sorta a tag; in that game my clanmates really did feel like family. Any time I hear the word nostalgia, JK2 in its golden days is what instantly pops into my head =P

Thanks for making this thread =)

Yeah, I didn't move to JA as well, because I prefer the JO combat system and have played the game for many years, including competitive :) It's still my favourite game and it's a damn shame that the multiplayer is so empty. Would be great if there was another Jedi Knight though, if it would be at least somewhat similar to the older versions in regards to combat.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 10:57:41 am »
+3
Don't you think the M&B attack/block system in combination with a bit more dynamic animations could work great for a Jedi Knight game?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 12:10:25 pm »
+1
Don't you think the M&B attack/block system in combination with a bit more dynamic animations could work great for a Jedi Knight game?

I think it would, if it introduced more options for making errors. One of my dislikes about M&B attack/block is that at high levels, it's too easy to stay unharmed in melee vs melee, also called block fest. The "autoblock" in JO/JA only works to a certain degree, so the combat feels more actiony.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 05:40:00 pm »
Well, there are also the force powers in Jedi Knight, so it might still be "actiony" enough. Or maybe there could be special attacks, like jump-overhead, etc., that couldn't be blocked and would have to be evaded.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 08:33:33 pm »
+1
Since blaster fire in Star Wars is pretty slow, a timed block might be all that's needed for a deflection. Doing a strike at the right time might even be used for sending it back.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 11:27:15 pm »
Haha yeah, I remember flinging NPCs all around the map with grip and push :D

Other cool tricks:
- force pull + throw lightsaber
- force pull + force kick

Force jump 'kick' was the worst until they fixed it. It was like...kick in current cRPG.