Author Topic: new class idea? 2 x 1h sword  (Read 3220 times)

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
Re: new class idea? 2 x 1h sword
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 09:36:45 pm »
I'll have to remember this vid for the next 100 times this evil thread appears.

Also, why just stop at 2 swords??? Since we're already clearly so invested in anime logic of 'dual wielding so cooool and practical'

(click to show/hide)

Mmm, Medieval fighter game...

HEY! Roronoa Zoro is an one of a kind. No copycats thx
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:23 pm »
Why do people think that dual weilding didn't exist? Why the hate?

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2014, 11:36:45 pm »
+3
because there is very little historical fact when it comes to Dual wielding lets have it!!! Itz cool hollywood/anime says so is the usual crap.

It has virtually no advantage over using a weapon with both hands. Its pretty much only seen in martial arts or rapier-dagger combo both in a duel situation. To put it in crpg would mean the secondary weapon would just act like a terrible shield.

i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2014, 11:45:03 pm »
+1
Meh, why not give people dual wield? But significantly reduced damage and lowered speed of swings when doing so. If some players want to be useless morons while hoping to look cool on the field of battle, it should be allowed. This is a free land afterall and everybody has the right to do their retarded shit.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 12:37:51 am »
because there is very little historical fact when it comes to Dual wielding lets have it!!! Itz cool hollywood/anime says so is the usual crap.

The parrying dagger was very real, no? If a man didn't have a 2handed weapon, or the skill to use one, its perfectly logical that he would have something else in his left hand.

Offline Osiris

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2014, 01:42:35 am »
+2
The parrying dagger was very real, no? If a man didn't have a 2handed weapon, or the skill to use one, its perfectly logical that he would have something else in his left hand.

I forgot Parrying daggers were wide spread on medieval battlefields and before. We don't have rapiers so we don't have parrying daggers, they don't fit cRPG and if you want one replace a shield image with a dagger because you wont get double attacks any time soon.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2014, 11:06:16 am »
+2
I forgot Parrying daggers were wide spread on medieval battlefields and before. We don't have rapiers so we don't have parrying daggers, they don't fit cRPG and if you want one replace a shield image with a dagger because you wont get double attacks any time soon.

Parrying daggers were practically slightly longer ordinary daggers. I would bet that before the advent of rapier, they used long daggers in conjuction to arming swords. However not on battlefield. Dagger and sword is mostly centered around duels. If I wanted to have something else besides sword in my hands, I would take shield.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2014, 01:52:30 pm »
+1
Dagger and sword is mostly centered around duels. If I wanted to have something else besides sword in my hands, I would take shield.

So every melee should have a shield, because its the smartest thing to do?
Thats like the "get a shield" argument, but in the sense that we should remove content of the game to not let players decide for themselves if they want survivability or not.

Rapiers arent the only usable weapon with a off-hand parrying dagger. Nobody asked for double attacks if you read the thread.
Also the "not fit cRPG" argument is weak, cRPG have ninjas and exotic weapons may I remind you.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2014, 03:10:39 pm »
+1
So every melee should have a shield, because its the smartest thing to do?
Thats like the "get a shield" argument, but in the sense that we should remove content of the game to not let players decide for themselves if they want survivability or not.

Nah the point was: If I knew I will fight in a conflict which counts several tens/hundreds of combatants, I would rather take an arming sword and shield, than arming sword and dagger.  It was not meant to be a comment on any gameplay mechanic or feature whatsoever.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2014, 03:56:53 pm »
+1
Nah the point was: If I knew I will fight in a conflict which counts several tens/hundreds of combatants, I would rather take an arming sword and shield, than arming sword and dagger.  It was not meant to be a comment on any gameplay mechanic or feature whatsoever.

Then I agree with you completely. But since in cRPG your life isnt on the line, you see no shielders everywhere. Thus except if we want to push a real life battlefield experience, why not add a off-hand gameplay? Which exact gameplay is up to debate.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2014, 04:08:33 pm »

Sure in a duel, or when they were caught off guard and ambushed.  I doubt they'd go into battle using their second hand on a dagger rather than using a shield, or holding a weapon with two hands.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Osiris

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2014, 05:16:14 pm »
+2
point is moot. The devs are not going to change the whole combat system to allow offhand combat for a couple of people, at best you will get a dagger that acts like a buckler.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2014, 06:05:57 pm »
point is moot. The devs are not going to change the whole combat system to allow offhand combat for a couple of people, at best you will get a dagger that acts like a buckler.

Would be cool  :D

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2014, 11:21:12 am »
Then I agree with you completely. But since in cRPG your life isnt on the line, you see no shielders everywhere. Thus except if we want to push a real life battlefield experience, why not add a off-hand gameplay? Which exact gameplay is up to debate.

Well I am not opposed to dual wielding at all. However I am more concerned about devs being able to pull off something like that.

Also, I would like to see some different weapon stances.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2014, 02:05:54 pm »