Author Topic: how to prevent suicide  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2325
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: how to prevent suicide
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 06:22:21 pm »
+1
Suicide is not the choice of the lazy people, but the sick people.

A healthy person is incapable of killing himself, it needs a mental disorder to be actually capable of doing it. At least from what I read.

There were some harsh times for me when I was much younger. Was seriously considering suicide. Yet I never managed to pull it off. By your definition I don't have any mental disorder. Then why do people like to label me as insane?

I'm insane or just lazy. But you're wrong either way.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2013, 07:28:18 pm »
+2
Actually, I think suicide is a very noble act. You remove yourself from this vicious downward spiral, so that others don't lose speed when they would normally bump you in the back.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 07:35:18 pm »
+1
You can definitely commit suicide as a "healthy" person. It's just that most healthy people have no reason to.

There were some harsh times for me when I was much younger. Was seriously considering suicide. Yet I never managed to pull it off. By your definition I don't have any mental disorder. Then why do people like to label me as insane?
He said that you need a mental disorder to be able to commit suicide, not that everyone with mental disorders can commit a suicide. All cats are animals, not all animals are cats.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 07:43:56 pm »
+2
What about accidental suicide?  :D

Offline Scervo

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2013, 08:02:52 pm »
Imho, what he did in that video was a terrible way to deal with this situation. If that was me, it would make me want to kill myself even more. I imagine they immediately locked him up in a psych ward, but preventing suicide by force is not really a good idea imo. Is it better to be alive against your will and totally miserable, or able to make the decision to end your own life (and your misery) when it gets to be too much for you? Honestly, I don't know why suicide is seen as such a bad thing. I understand the desire to preserve the lives of your loved ones, but from the suicidal persons perspective, this just feels like a trap that prevents them from doing what seems to them to be the best solution. If you're willing to kill yourself you don't CARE if you're dead.

I know in some cases people get better and then its great because hey, they can live a good life now and they didnt have to die. But some people dont get better. Some people dont care to wait until they can. Some people don't WANT to get better. Some people dont have anything to even "fix" but just dont want to deal with life if they dont have to.

My ex was forced against her will into a mental institution by her family right when we started dating because of previous suicide attempts, a self-harm addiction, eating disorders, etc., and she genuinely enjoyed the experience. So I'm not saying places like this are bad, they're good at what they do in a lot of cases. But its pretty hard to make a permanent impact on someone. In most serious cases, the issues will just come back.

If someone you love tries to kill themselves, I understand that you WILL try to stop them and that this definitely seems like the right thing to do, I've done it and I feel like I did the right thing, its normal for us to think "death = bad, alive = good." But from the perspective of the other person, this idea that suicide is terrible just contributes to the feeling of helpessness. It's like, "I hate my life and myself and I can't fix it, nor can I take the only way out because then I'll hurt everyone I love."

I realize some of the stuff I said is a bit contradictory, but thats probably due to the fact that what a suicidal person genuinely desires and thinks is best for them contradicts what humans typically feel to be "right," so its hard to give my stance (which im not entirely sure of) coherently without flip flopping between both sides of the issue.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2013, 08:27:21 pm »
Suicide is not the choice of the lazy people, but the sick people.

A healthy person is incapable of killing himself, it needs a mental disorder to be actually capable of doing it. At least from what I read.
I doubt it'd require a mental disorder, don't think I'd have a hard time killing myself I truly believed I'd not enjoy any remaining days in my life regardlessly. Personally shooting myself in the back of the head would be my preferred suicide method.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 08:34:43 pm »
should i lock this thread befor someone goes on killing spree or jumps off building?
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 08:54:37 pm »
+3
Imho, what he did in that video was a terrible way to deal with this situation. If that was me, it would make me want to kill myself even more. I imagine they immediately locked him up in a psych ward, but preventing suicide by force is not really a good idea imo. Is it better to be alive against your will and totally miserable, or able to make the decision to end your own life (and your misery) when it gets to be too much for you? Honestly, I don't know why suicide is seen as such a bad thing. I understand the desire to preserve the lives of your loved ones, but from the suicidal persons perspective, this just feels like a trap that prevents them from doing what seems to them to be the best solution. If you're willing to kill yourself you don't CARE if you're dead.

I know in some cases people get better and then its great because hey, they can live a good life now and they didnt have to die. But some people dont get better. Some people dont care to wait until they can. Some people don't WANT to get better. Some people dont have anything to even "fix" but just dont want to deal with life if they dont have to.

My ex was forced against her will into a mental institution by her family right when we started dating because of previous suicide attempts, a self-harm addiction, eating disorders, etc., and she genuinely enjoyed the experience. So I'm not saying places like this are bad, they're good at what they do in a lot of cases. But its pretty hard to make a permanent impact on someone. In most serious cases, the issues will just come back.

If someone you love tries to kill themselves, I understand that you WILL try to stop them and that this definitely seems like the right thing to do, I've done it and I feel like I did the right thing, its normal for us to think "death = bad, alive = good." But from the perspective of the other person, this idea that suicide is terrible just contributes to the feeling of helpessness. It's like, "I hate my life and myself and I can't fix it, nor can I take the only way out because then I'll hurt everyone I love."

I realize some of the stuff I said is a bit contradictory, but thats probably due to the fact that what a suicidal person genuinely desires and thinks is best for them contradicts what humans typically feel to be "right," so its hard to give my stance (which im not entirely sure of) coherently without flip flopping between both sides of the issue.

You can't stop someone who truly wants to kill themselves, so if you are in a situation where you can prevent it, they are hoping you will in the back of their mind down deep somewhere and if you fail to act, you failed them. While it is shitty for them to put that on you, if you don't act to prevent it and it goes through, you are only trying to make yourself feel better by saying "It is what they wanted and who am I to stop them". They were making a plea for help in a fucked up manner and letting them go is another fucked up way of saying "Can't help you bro."
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2248
  • Infamy: 2349
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2013, 09:00:37 pm »
I strongly believe that people who commit suicide are the only people who actually believe in humanity and ideal human values and stuff like that. When they realise how corrupted whole human race, how full of shit human society is, they can't cope with it and they pull the trigger. Others evolve into proper humans, who don't care about each other yet somehow function together.

People who commit suicide believe in fairy tales, that's their only problem.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2013, 09:10:46 pm »
I strongly believe that people who commit suicide are the only people who actually believe in humanity and ideal human values and stuff like that. When they realise how corrupted whole human race, how full of shit human society is, they can't cope with it and they pull the trigger. Others evolve into proper humans, who don't care about each other yet somehow function together.
This such a messed up fucking view, gawd. Your posts in this thread alone are fairly insane, just saying, to answer your question..

I don't get suicide, how can nothing be preferred over anything? I know I am a heartless, cold bastard who doesn't have strong emotions and has never even been depressed, but what could possibly drive people in wealthy countries to decide to end their lives? Doesn't compute at all with me. Assuming of course you do not believe in anything after death, which the deed of committing suicide would exclude you out of anyway for certain religions.

To answer your question Scervo, I think suicide is bad because it is literally self destructive behaviour, which is often based on a rough patch. It can be a very rough patch, but I just rarely hear about people that have struggled with suicide, that regret not doing it 40 years later. Of course those that do regret it will probably do it within 40 years, but hope you get my point.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1243
  • Infamy: 1298
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 09:24:40 pm »
+2
I know I am a heartless, cold bastard who doesn't have strong emotions and has never even been depressed

Not yet. You need to stop saying sorry when you non-intentionally teamhit someone or at least use a macro for it. Because typing mid fight SOrryRY means you care and it's completely ruining the image.

About suicide, it's true that I wanted to do it as a kid. Reason is as I stated. Was believing in right, good, fairytales, was raised like that. Wanted to help everyone, never hurt anyone, be as good as humanly possible. Then, when I was 13 years old I discovered nasty side of humanity. Was seriously depressed, couldn't live with that.

Since then, by every passing day I'm becoming more wicked. But not in evil sense, it's just that I'm "growing up". I'm still nice as I can be to individuals who deserve that, but to groups of people I will never again show that side of mine. Therefore I act like I act here, and pretty much everywhere else where is a group of people on the other side and not an individual.

Some (most) people learn that early in life and become overly successful aka rich assholes. Honestly, if I had nothing else in my life to hold on (thankfully I have that), would probably go on a quest eliminating assholes from this world, rather than killing myself. Which translates, if I ever get terminal cancer, lose my family or devastating stuff like that, you can be sure you'll hear about it in the news :wink:

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 10:25:24 pm »
+1
Took too long to draw his gun.

0/10 unimpressive

Yeah I think it got lodged between his massive balls.

Ive hit car windshields, shit be hard yo.

(click to show/hide)

Yeah, I feel you. People made me hate them all pretty much, and while I am no different, sometimes I think it would be amazing to be stupid or greedy by nature and not to examine my motivations and try to do right....
I don't know enough

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 10:29:23 pm »
+2
I have read an article about little girls in Mumbay,  being held in small wooden crates during the day,  and raped for money for 10-12 hours during the knight.

These children try to run away at first,  but they cant.  Then they try to kill themselves,  but they cant.  Then,  they loose all hope,  and merely exist.

Next to the fact that it takes a certain mental state to (be able to) commit suicide,  it can also be an escape from an unbearable present.  A bit like a fatal cancer patient deciding to stop fighting.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2013, 10:29:53 pm »
+4
I've been deep down in depression, life feels truly meaningless, and everything is just shit, and in general life is not worth living, it's actually just a total mess of pain. You should try it before you talk like you know shit.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2013, 10:32:37 pm »
+3
I don't get suicide, how can nothing be preferred over anything? I know I am a heartless, cold bastard who doesn't have strong emotions and has never even been depressed, but what could possibly drive people in wealthy countries to decide to end their lives? Doesn't compute at all with me.

Well, be happy you are of such an unburdened mind and enjoy life. Don't you think if you would get it, you would maybe also like to go? There lurks danger, you have been warned.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?